Author Topic: Which Naish Glide? I am pretty confused  (Read 10976 times)

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which Naish Glide? I am pretty confused
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 05:49:24 AM »
Yeah it's a shame that Naish don't make a 14x27.5" version of the 14x29, in a lighter layup. 35lbs is too heavy by today's standards, really. But then again, it is HUGELY cheaper than typical carbon boards. A part-carbon one at 30lbs would be good though, and might wrestle from the All Star the title of "most versatile distance SUP".

Area 10, Naish did make a  14x27.5" version in a lighter carbon layup, it's the 2012/2013 Naish GX Glide 14'0".

I have a very lightly used one for sale in San Diego if some one is interested, PM me!

MAX

Area stated Naish should make a 27.5" version of the 29". The boards share the same name but the design is not the same. Different rocker line, nose design isn't quite the same etc.
Yes, robon is correct. I said they should make a narrower, lighter, but still economical version of the 14x29. This is a completely different shape than the 14x27.25" Glide V2 (the current 14x29 is commonly referred to here as the V3 Glide).

However the reason I said that they should make a 27" wide version was because the Glide V2 was a good seller for Naish, and it is still a much loved board today. It is not without its foibles (it doesn't like super-confused waters much), but it is still one of the fastest small-conditions downwind boards ever made, and works very well as an all-round board for an ocean paddler.

Many people supposed that the V3 version of the Glide would appear as a tweaked version of the V2, aimed at dealing with the V2 handling foibles, and at a similar price point and construction. However the shaper of the Glide 2 (Harold Iggy) sadly died, and so Naish went with an all-new design for the Glide V3. Initially, the V3 appeared in two constructions that were similar to the V2 (GX, a lighter, more expensive (but perhaps a little flexy) one, and GS a pretty heavy but good value one), but unfortunately IMO the GX version of the Glide v3 (14x29) was dropped in subsequent years, perhaps because it would compete with the new 14x28 Javelin in super-expensive constructions that was being introduced.

Well, that's how I remember it, anyway. I'm no Naish expert, but if details are incorrect here then I'm sure DJ can correct them. There are many videos in webland of him downwinding on both the V2 and V3 Glides, and you can see that they are very different. One of the ways that the videos differ is that we stopped seeing DJ fall in the videos after he got the wider 14x29 Glide V3 ;)

There are also excellent videos of our South African friends downwinding the V2 around Cape Town. They are among my favourite ever downwind videos, and show just how fast the Glide V2 was, even in bigger stuff in the right hands.

It is always worth looking carefully at DJ's choice of board IMO, because his skills and budgets are more representative of the amateur SUP enthusiast compared to videos that show people like Kai Lenny, who have skill levels that are completely unattainable for 99.99% of the population and don't pay full price for their boards. What most people want is a board that flatters them rather than exposes their weaknesses. The 14x29 Glide is probably that board, especially you are a little taller and/or heavier than the average paddler. Unfortunately, you also have to be stronger than average too, since the only construction available to you is welcomed by weightlifters in training, but cursed by average people everywhere who have high roof racks.

Probably the reason why I wish it were offered in a narrower version is at 170 I just don't need all that extra board. Weight wise I'd probably choose GS again if it means gaining durability, especially at the price point. Heavy as it is 35lbs is only 35lbs. I'll be considering weight when I'm looking at race boards but using the Glide in the surf as I do it gets a good deal of abuse so toughness is a plus.

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 08:47:42 AM »
The consensus here in this thread (as well as elsewhere on this board) seems to be that a 14' board is superior for this indication. When I have spoken to people at various shops they often seem to lean towards a 12 ish length. It does seem to be a better idea to purchase a board to grow into, and that a longer board may be more versatile (e.g. Trying downwinding, etc).

My question is this: obviously the people here are mostly very experienced and and tend to want the best performing boards. Is this the reason for the preference for a longer board? Are there contexts in which a 12' board might be better (in this specific context-- ocean touring, etc)? Given that I am a noob.
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 09:23:42 AM »
The only reason to get a 12' over a 14' is storage. With the same rocker a 14' will be faster, more stable, and generally more versatile. I'm not a big fan of the current crop of 14' boards, with my weight they generally don't trim well. I'd prefer to see a board in 15 or 16', but there are no real choices for that other than pure flatwater or pure downwinding unlimiteds. For someone your size and weight a 14 is a fine choice--you ARE the target market--and the Glides are excellent.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 11:19:27 AM »
The consensus here in this thread (as well as elsewhere on this board) seems to be that a 14' board is superior for this indication. When I have spoken to people at various shops they often seem to lean towards a 12 ish length. It does seem to be a better idea to purchase a board to grow into, and that a longer board may be more versatile (e.g. Trying downwinding, etc).

My question is this: obviously the people here are mostly very experienced and and tend to want the best performing boards. Is this the reason for the preference for a longer board? Are there contexts in which a 12' board might be better (in this specific context-- ocean touring, etc)? Given that I am a noob.

Here is my take on this, as someone who used to manage the SUP dept. in a paddlesports shop.  We sold 2-3x as many shorter boards to first-time buyers, mainly because customers were intimidated by long boards.  Everyone seemed to want the shortest board possible.  Same thing w/ first-time kayak buyers.  Secondary reason - worries about storage, transport, etc. Based on that, the shopkeepers you're dealing with are probably just recommending you the more "popular" choice for first-time buyers.

There were 2 exceptions to that rule.  One was experienced kayakers buying their first SUP.  Most of them bought 14's. Sea kayaks are typically even longer, so they weren't intimidated.  And they all knew from experience what the first-timers just couldn't seem to digest.  A longer craft = a faster, straighter, more glorious ride.   

The other exception, people who became regulars at our weekly Meetup paddles.  They all started on all-around boards.  But when you paddle every week with experienced paddlers on 12'6 & 14' boards, you start wanting to keep up.  So they all purchased longer boards too, thanks to some experience prior to first purchase. 

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 11:33:16 AM »
Fog City and Pono pretty much covered it. My first board was an 11'6" all arounder surf shape and these boards probably outsell 12'6" displacement shapes by at least 10 to 1 where I live (inland) and for 14 footers it's probably 50 to 1 at a minimum. Where I live inland doesn't represent all areas by a long shot but retailers around here selling SUPs definitely aren't making their money selling longer boards. It comes down to storage and ease of use for first timers buying shorter shapes. Especially the 11 to 12 foot all arounders and they are a much easier and quicker sale than a longer board. It is nice to have a shorter board as a back up, and I want another one for running the river when it gets shallower this time of year.

The only area where I find a 12'6" to be more convenient for the most part is exploring wetlands and waterways where turning gets tight. Shorter is also better for running rapids, but you are looking for ocean touring, and a 14' will be more versatile in that regard. Especially something designed like the Glide that is designed to do well when the going gets rough.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:35:20 AM by robon »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 11:36:47 AM »
12'6 boards are generally more maneuverable.  And 14s carry more speed.  So in the surf shorter is better and for straight line distance longer is better.  Also 12'6 boards store in a slightly smaller space and are lighter to carry and load.  In a lot of cases that is most important.

Most paddlers round here simply buy any moderately priced surf nosed board that they can load onto their vehicle.  Brand is not that important - but price is.  They at most paddle 1/2 mile - if that - in the ocean.  Normally they stay around 100m from shore.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal