Author Topic: Where to buy ventral fin?  (Read 3232 times)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Where to buy ventral fin?
« on: August 19, 2016, 12:39:25 PM »
The benefits of a ventral seem to make sense to me, maybe not in some situations, but in quite a lot of them - especially for any boards with a lot of nose volume. These types of noses tend to get blown downwind and I'm sure a ventral fin would help.

I did a quick search and wasn't able to find a place that sells these fins. I'd be looking for a relatively small ventral fin - much smaller than a standard rear fin.

Anyone know where to get one?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy ventral fin?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »
Larry Allison. Best to just call him. His websites are a confused mess.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 01:15:22 PM »
The benefits of a ventral seem to make sense to me, maybe not in some situations, but in quite a lot of them - especially for any boards with a lot of nose volume. These types of noses tend to get blown downwind and I'm sure a ventral fin would help.

I did a quick search and wasn't able to find a place that sells these fins. I'd be looking for a relatively small ventral fin - much smaller than a standard rear fin.

Yes PonoBill is right my Website is still in a to do process. Wanted to get the new stuff pass trying to make everything up to date. But the contact page which is important you can reach me her Argosi http://www.allisonsupracefins.com/#!contact/natrn.
Allison Race Fins

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 02:15:29 PM »

You are right, I have 3 size Ventral fins: small Ventral: at 2"Height by 9"Long for most Race boards and Touring, med Ventral at 2-1/2" Height by 12" long for higher nose volume boards and for paddlers that create alot of torque when pulling through the water, Large Ventral at 3"Height by 13"Long for Open Ocean Expedition Boards.
MOST IMPORTANT: Ventral placement is always 20" forward from the balance point on any size board. If you put the Ventral fin to far forward the board feels like a slung. If you put the Ventral to far back closer to you it increases the Yaw on the board.
Always nice to see people look at the board after riding it like Ingo Rademacher on this 12'6"by 24" wide Blackfish and make the comment crazy Stable
feels like a 28" wide board.
Feel free to ask any questions here my friend to share with others. Mahalo, Larry
Allison Race Fins

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 06:46:06 AM »
It is brilliant. I have had AVS:s installed on boards since early 2013 One Bark Competitor, one Fanatic Falcon flatwater 14'x27,5" and one on my Starboard Allstar 12'6x26,5" 2014. Been paddling a while now without a ventral on a 14'x25" Starboard Allstar 2016. I don't have an issue with balance but holy shit! I miss it on downwind and upwind and waves from the side. The lack of projection that forces you to work SO much more just to keep the board going your way.... A ventral should be standard equipment on any race/touringboard. And, I must add that it is marvellous on DW. Engaged when needed and out of the water when you step back to footsteer the board.

Henrik F
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 06:59:58 AM by Henrik F »
crosswater.se

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 08:38:51 PM »
Now coming into 2016 the paddlers are starting to understand the need and function of a Allison Ventral fin on a Standup Board. After almost 5 years of retro fitting over 2000 Sup Boards by myself and tech installs thru out the world the option of having a Ventral Fin adds approximately another 35 percent of performance to your standupboard. Now that has been proven, let me add alittle simple science behind that. Here is a pic of a fish and a Raceboard. The fish has a variety of fins with different functions with 1 fin that is important to me for this explanation, which is the Pelvic Fin. Another name for the Pelvic Fin is known as the Ventral Fin. The Pelvic (Ventral) Fin is located on the bottom of the fish in front of the Anal Fin. The Pelvic (Ventral) Fin helps Balance the fish, keeping it level and prevents the fish from rolling side to side along with steering and direction control. Hello!! this seems to be a major issue in Standuppaddling. Most important thing to keep in mind is that the placement of a Ventral fin has to be 20" forward of the balance point of the board to the back of the Ventral Fin box. If the Ventral fin box is to far forward your board will have a feel of pushing water and slow your board glide down. If the Ventral fin is to far back close to balance point of your board, that will increase your board turning feel (YAW) causing you to correct more. What I find funny is with these new planning nose and higher volume boards , the Board Builders except Dave Boehne at Infinity SUP along with others like John Diller at Savage River Works forgot one important factor : How to control the Nose of your board from getting pushed side to side. VENTRAL FIN!!!, Not rocket science my friends, Mother Nature knows. This is how you know what board company is following what board company along with understanding options to make your board a better riding experience I think.
Allison Race Fins

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal