Author Topic: HELP Need some advice  (Read 1882 times)

shadow

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
HELP Need some advice
« on: August 18, 2016, 08:13:02 AM »
Looking at 3 different boards unfortunately i have no where near me to do a demo. All flat water (lake)and small wind chop fitness and covering distance is my goal. 220Lbs 52 yrs old some what new to the sport but paddling almost every day
Been using 2 different boards up to now Hobie 12'6x29 Elite and an inflateable 12'6 isle board. Hobie is ok in flat for me with my experience but gets tippy in chop.

The 3 boards i am looking at are Or any other recomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1. Naish 14x30 GTW
2. Aumundson 14x29.5 TRT
3. SIC 14x28.5 TRC

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HELP Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 08:31:15 AM »
I don’t know where you live but if you are nowhere near anyplace to demo then perhaps your best bet is to make a weekend (or longer) trip to someplace you can.  It costs money and time but it’s better than spending money a board that turns out to be the wrong choice.

shadow

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 09:14:34 AM »
I don’t know where you live but if you are nowhere near anyplace to demo then perhaps your best bet is to make a weekend (or longer) trip to someplace you can.  It costs money and time but it’s better than spending money a board that turns out to be the wrong choice.

Traveling to do a demo would be great but at this point it's not an option for me, so looking for anyone who may have some experience with the boards i'm looking at that mainly uses them for flat water lake paddling or maybe other boards that maybe they use and like. Thanks in advance for any input.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 01:50:35 PM »
Do you have specific balance problems or are you carrying gear/dog/small kids? I find anything near 30 inches to be pretty wide for a 14. The Amundsen TRX is fast and stable. I'm 240 pounds and a geezer, and it's fine for me. You're probably thinking 29 X 12.6 was tippy, then anything narrower in a 14 will be too. Not exactly true. Length adds stability, just not as much as width does.

I'm not sure what SIC board you are talking about, haven't tried the Naish.

The big trick for stability, especially with bigger boards, is moving your feet closer together. Sounds counterintuitive, but putting your feet on the rail means the tiniest weight shift wobbles the board. Having width beyond the edge of your feet makes your board more stable. You can get that by going super wide, or moving your feet closer together. When I'm downwinding on my 12'2" X 26 on a crazy day I look like a bowling pin--wide on top, narrow at the bottom. Works, once you get your mind around it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

shadow

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 02:15:12 PM »
Do you have specific balance problems or are you carrying gear/dog/small kids? I find anything near 30 inches to be pretty wide for a 14. The Amundsen TRX is fast and stable. I'm 240 pounds and a geezer, and it's fine for me. You're probably thinking 29 X 12.6 was tippy, then anything narrower in a 14 will be too. Not exactly true. Length adds stability, just not as much as width does.

I'm not sure what SIC board you are talking about, haven't tried the Naish.

The big trick for stability, especially with bigger boards, is moving your feet closer together. Sounds counterintuitive, but putting your feet on the rail means the tiniest weight shift wobbles the board. Having width beyond the edge of your feet makes your board more stable. You can get that by going super wide, or moving your feet closer together. When I'm downwinding on my 12'2" X 26 on a crazy day I look like a bowling pin--wide on top, narrow at the bottom. Works, once you get your mind around it.

Thanks for the reply!No specific balance problem just the 12'6x29 is slightly tippy.Although i feel confident enough that if i gave this board a couple more weeks it would feel fine. (this is a loaner)

Which leads me to looking into purchasing a 14x 28.5 - 14x30 displacement type  for speed and stability. mainly will be flat water looking to cover distance in a couple hrs every morning for core work out and cardio and keeping my beer gut to a minimum. Thanks again!

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 02:16:45 PM »
Know a friend who has a TRT and is about your size and maybe 10+ years older.  Paddled with him last year and he was very tippy on it.  Paddled with him about a month ago - the same evening I just bought a used 23 All Star - and paddled the same speed as him out a mile or so in the ocean.  Whereas I was feeling quite tippy - he was much more stable and confident than ever before.  He is no longer tippy at all and now races on it.  He really likes his TRT.  Paddling the TRT and a 30 wide board is fine.

We have a 30 SB Touring pintail and really like it in waves to about 20 kts.  Great fun and challenge compared to a much more stable Bullet and M-14.  Basically all 3 of your options are good and you will probably really enjoy any of them.  Probably the SIC is sportier and the Naish less so.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

shadow

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 03:09:34 PM »
Eagle
Great info thanks i really appreciate the feed back!

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
I own the Glide 14x30 GTW and I demoed the SIC.  Didn't get a chance to try the Amundson.  I'm 12 years younger than you but I weigh quite a bit more than you.  I really liked the SIC, l like all of SIC I demoed, but they didn't have enough volume for me.  It would be plenty for you though.  I'd also suggest you consider the Glide 14x29.  If you read reviews on it, people really notice the 1" difference and you don't necessarily need the extra volume of the 30". 

Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Fanatic Allwave 9'10 x 33
Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

shadow

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 03:49:04 PM »
bigmak
Thanks for the feed back,thats the info i am looking for!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal