Author Topic: Searching For My Next Board  (Read 2087 times)

mikeschratz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Searching For My Next Board
« on: August 14, 2016, 11:55:40 AM »
My wife and I got into SUP about a month and a half ago. We bought two CBC boards and love them. They have served their purpose of finding out if we would really like to get into this thing or not. We found out that this is something we love to do and are starting to look our next boards. We mostly paddle flat water, rivers and the like. My wife is about 140 lbs, so finding a board for her isn't the real issue. I am 230 lbs (down from 250) and planning on getting to under 210 lbs.
First, when looking at new boards, in specifications, they list an "Up to Weight". Should I be getting a board that holds "Experienced Up to 210 lbs." or the board that holds "Beginner 230 lbs".
Second, could some folks that are around my weight give me some suggestions for good cruising boards for flatwater?
I am new to the Forum and have searched and read some really great thing that have helped tremendously. Thanks to all for sharing, it has been awesome.
Thanks in advance,
Mike Schratz

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Searching For My Next Board
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »
Hi Mike I'm a newbie here as well and my first board is en route to me as I speak.

I think the experts on the board might want to know what your price range is. It also may help to decide on inflatable vs. "hard" boards to narrow things down. (My take home from reading here  is that solid boards seem to be regarded as superior if you have the space to keep them).

I also found it helpful to rent boards on many occasions. Local shops often will rent boards which they sell, and we are heading to the end of the season so you might get a good deal.

There are also some threads you might find useful in "Gear Talk". (For whatever reason, the search function doesn't seem to work too well here so you may want to just scroll through).

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30232.0.html

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30159.0.html
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

mikeschratz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »
Thank you very much for responding, it is greatly appreciated. I searched with some other search words and found some good info.
In response to your suggestions, I would like to stay around $1000.00 and definitely would like a "hard" board.
and thank you for the suggestion of checking out Gear Talk, I will do that.
Thanks

Trout_Creek_Outdoors

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Board and Kayak Life
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 07:09:13 PM »
In response to the weight question, at your current weight of 230 pounds, I wouldn't go for the "up to weight of 210" pounds. That's kind of like trying to buy a size 34 waist pair of jeans when you're still a size 36 even though you plan on losing that extra weight.

A lot of boards have a graduated scale, too, meaning they might say they can hold a rider of 250 pounds but that's only if he/she is experienced. That same board might only be good for riders of 180-200 if they're less experienced paddlers.

Make sure you check into those things before purchasing a board. That being said, there are tons of good boards out there that do have a higher weight limit. I'm sure others here will have plenty of suggestions.
Paddle On!

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:22:32 AM »
Hi Mike, welcome to the Zone, I love your stoke!

There are a lot of opinions about what board to use on flat-water, and lots of great boards.
It is important for you to have a good idea about how YOU want to use it.

Consider:
Is speed important, or is stability more important?
Will you use it for recreation or fitness?
How's your back?.... is board weight important?
How far will you (and your wife) have to carry it to launch.
Share with family and friends?
Do you see racing in your future?

I am a huge fan of light, all around shapes in the 10' to 11' range, they are stable for their length and usually less costly than Race shapes
I like wider, not narrow and fast...I am a minority on this forum..... but not in the world of recreational paddlers.

Anything over 180 Liters is reasonable on these types of boards, if the width is right...
but more float isn't a bad thing on flat-water.... I also really enjoy 10'6 x 34 at 230 liters.... unlike surf, float is a bonus on flat-water.

Now, on to your wife
If she is going to paddle without you some of the time, then you should consider board handling ie: Weight and length
Taking out of the garage, putting on and off the car in a wind, carrying to a launch site.....
If she is like most of the women I meet, who are recreational paddlers, this is a big issue.

Lighter = more expensive
Buy her a good quality, light board and only cry once.

Handles are an overlooked consideration when buying..... but a big deal when carrying and loading.

I teach lots of middle age women how to paddle..... after they have experienced the big, heavy, training boards....
I hand them one of my 9'5 x 32 all around shapes that weigh 23 lbs
Their faces light right up..... usually followed by "Wow! I LIKE this!"
They paddle very nicely and suit many women, who simply paddle with friends, chatting and enjoying nature.

Just some ideas... things to consider

Telling us your general location might bring some Zoners in your area, to offer some thoughts.

My 9'5 x 32 at 160 Liters, making smiles (I paddle this board a lot, as well as surf it)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal