Author Topic: Sunova windsurf mount  (Read 6746 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Sunova windsurf mount
« on: August 13, 2016, 09:21:53 AM »
What type of base or mount do I need for Sunova boards and where can I get one?

I've never seen this system before.

http://www.naturalnecessity.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/10_2-ecotec-4.jpg

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunova windsurf mount
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »
It takes your standard windsurf single bolt twist on "universal", the same as 99% of the universals out there. Sunova uses a standard mast track, that they cut it short to avoid excess weight and deck obstruction. Any single bolt system will fit that shortened mast track. If you are used to the threaded insert that you see on many other windsup boards, you just need to put the standard nut on the bolt that you would screw into the insert on those boards.
If you are new to windsurfing equipment, you will need to make sure that the universal fits into your mast base, so buying those two things as a package is not a bad idea. Unfortunately there is not a reliable industry standard for universals and mast bases to fit together between brands, or even between years of the same brand sometimes. Also be sure that your mast base is going to fit your mast diameter. Most masts these days are "reduced diameter" or skinnies", but most older masts (from the 80s or 90s) are large diameter; your mast base must fit the diameter of your mast.
To attach to the board, the bottom of the universal has a threaded bolt coming out of it, with a nut on the end. Loosen the nut out to the end of the bolt, insert the nut/bolt down into the wide part of the track in the board, slide it forward into the narrow part of the track, and then twist the universal against the nut to cinch it down tight on the board. If you are new to this, always make sure that the universal is twisted on as tight as you can hand tighten it. If it loosens and comes off out in rough water, it is a serious challenge for most people to get the nut and bolt back in the slot again.
I will try to follow up with a picture.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »
Here is a link to the Chinook brand that I use. Any of  the 1-Bolt units in the top row would work fine in any standard mast track, including the shortened ones used by Sunova. (The pictures to not show the nut that is on the end of the bolt, and inserts into the mast track slot.) If you don't have one like these, I am sure that Jim K could set you up easily.
http://chinooksailing.com/index.php/windsurf/bases/us-base-cup.html
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »
Forgot to mention that I have had fun sailing a number of Sunovas. I sailed a 9'6" Surf on both flat water and waves, and it was great. It planed better than most SUPs in flat water (having a 2+1 set up with a standard center box allowing a larger center fin really helps with this), and was lots of fun in small waves. I sailed my 8'10" Speeed a few times in waist to head high waves, and it surfed pretty well. Though it really is not interested in planing in flat water, it is fine for a smaller person to learn on, or a better sailor to sail around and do some light wind freestyle. My 8'7" Flow was okay in the waves, but I need to experiment with some different fin setups next time. It is a little small for beginners or light wind freestyle, has too much rocker for easy planing, but works perfectly fine for just putting around in light winds for flat water or surf.
If you are new to windsupping, here are some hints: light wind is best, ideally 5 to 15. Smaller sails work better in the surf. If I was on one of my windsurf boards in 15 mph winds and surf, I would use my 5.9 sail and hope to plane and waterstart. If I was windsupping in that same wind, I would put on a 5.0, not try to plane, and probably need to uphaul instead of waterstarting. If a SUP board has too much sail power on a wave, they do not handle as well.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 03:50:16 AM »
Thanks. I have a single bolt base but it has no nut on it. I should be able to find a nut that fits the slot.

I windsurfed a lot back in the late 70s/early 80s. My ex-girlfriend is storing all her windsurf equipment in my barn and I get to use it. It's stuff from about 15 years ago. Four boards and lots of sails. I thought it would be cool to try it on the 8'10 Flow.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 03:52:11 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 02:29:01 PM »
Here is a link to the nut that comes on the bases. You can also use a flat rectangular nut as long as it fits in the track.
http://chinooksailing.com/index.php/windsurf/bases/base-accessories/slider-brass-t-nut-8mm.html
The Flow should be fun to sail, especially in waves. SUP boards like the Flow have too much rocker to easily plane like a windsurf board, but they will putt around nicely in the surf zone, and catch waves really easily with just a couple of sail pumps. It can be more fun that paddling if it is windy and choppy.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 04:25:52 PM »
Excellent. Thanks for the help. 
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 04:50:41 PM »
Hey Badger, I thought of an idea for you. I was trying to figure out where the nut might be that goes with the single bolt base you have. Sometimes people will keep the nut in the mast track of the board, and then screw the base into the nut to attach it to the board.
Before you go shopping for a nut, check out the mast tracks of the boards out in the barn, and see if there is a nut (plate) hiding in one of them. You might get lucky.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 05:36:10 PM »
Brilliant! I will do that.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 10:59:07 PM »
If sailing your SUP becomes something you do a lot, consider getting a Euro style mast base instead of the US style with the pinch buttons. the euros use a bayonet coupling that's much easier to connect and remove. You pull the sail off a lot more in the wind with a SUP because it's hard to carry the board and sail connected with the much bigger and heavier SUP attached.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »
Good point Bill. I did find that one of the advantages of the Liftsup handle on the Sunovas like Badger has, is that it makes it pretty easy to carry the board in and out of the water while attached to a windsurfing rig, even in the wind. It is very much like grabbing the front footstrap of a windsurf board to carry it with the rig.
With bigger boards and the old style handles, I always separated the board and sail in the water, which as you said can be a real pain with the two button system, especially if there are any shore waves.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »
Guys,

I got just about EVERY Windsurfing part (Yes we are a relic a REAL WINDSURFING SHOP) and you get them at the ZONER DEAL pricing (cheap)
If I can be of any help let me know Call 484 515 5758 or PM me here
JimK
Extreme WINDSURFING

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 03:19:39 PM »
Yes Jim, I was going to contact you. I still have to search around here and check the boards to see if maybe I have what I need. If not, I'll call you. I've been too busy lately. I have all next week off though, so I'll see if I can get a rig together.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal