Author Topic: Anyone flown Delta with a SUP lately?  (Read 5288 times)

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone flown Delta with a SUP lately?
« on: August 08, 2016, 02:21:42 PM »
Was planning on bringing my 9'0" SUS with me on a transcontinental flight via Delta and looked up their baggage policy. From their website- "Surfboards over 115 linear inches are not allowed". So I did the math and was like cool that's 9'7" I'm good to go! Then I discovered this: "Luggage that is 62 linear inches is luggage that totals 62 inches when the height, width and depth of the bag are combined". Boo. Anyone have any recent experience with this?

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone flown Delta with a SUP lately?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:46:01 PM »
I have no experience with that but from what I've seen on the news lately, Delta is having plenty of other issues going on with their computer systems.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 04:02:28 PM »
I flew Delta to Hawaii from LA & back, for a connecting flight to the South Pacific at the end of February...same time period they were holding the Eddie...
On the way over it was just a matter of paying their $150 oversized luggage fee...but, on the way back home, the ticket agent was going to deny me the possibility of flying it, because of length...9'2"...110"...she told me I had to go to their cargo area and arrange for transport...etc...I only had a one hour layover in Honolulu...

I had my board packed to perfection...max allowed...so, I had to ask for a manager to intervene and measure from the deck to exclude rocker...she agreed and gave me a pass...phewww...dodged another bullet...YMMV...;-)

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2016/03/adventures-in-paradise.html
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 04:23:58 PM »
Just got back from Costa Rica on delta .  I doubled bagged but got a ding on the way down .  Pretty sure it  115
' length max, 70 lbs and max of 2 boards in a bag .  Pricey $150 each way but nice to ride your own equipment . 

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 04:34:17 PM »
Thanks for replies gentlemen. Oh, and nice waves!!!

Just got this off their website:
Linear dimension (length + width + height) cannot exceed 115 inches (292 cm).

Man I would hate to get to the airport and get denied. hmmmm
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:45:46 PM by cnski »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 07:58:23 PM »
We had a customer going to France that got denied on Delta with a board bag less than 115 inches long because of the linear dimensions rule.  I have also flown on Delta myself with two boards in a bag last summer and it was fine but I always use curbside check in and have had good luck with that.  Still, if they stick to the linear dimensions rule you might be out of luck, no SUP is small enough to meet the 115" linear dimensions rule.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 10:44:06 AM »
Flew to CR last February with a 8'8 X32 Hokua, no issues. I curbside checked it, they seem pretty lenient, no issues. 
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 01:48:11 PM »
Have gone to Fiji a few times - out of Canada to LAX it has been a breeze (I call a friend the works for the airline and she meets me at check in and waves me through). 

From LAX to Fiji (and back) On Fijian Airways - they could care less the size of the bag - my single SUP board was small compared to some of the multi board longboard bags I saw being checked in.   $50. per board bag.  period.

From LAX back to Canada has been my only issues - managers involved a couple times.  One time the lady looked at the starboard logo on the bag and said "windsurf gear?"  I nodded - and she said "I used to sail back in the day - no charge"  :)
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »
From LAX to Fiji (and back) On Fijian Airways - they could care less the size of the bag - my single SUP board was small compared to some of the multi board longboard bags I saw being checked in.   $50. per board bag.  period.

I wouldn't count on that...Fiji Airway's baggage fees have gone up substantially since the last time you flew them...they even charge extra during prime time...and, they have the option of full denial...

http://www.fijiairways.com/flight-information/excess-oversized-baggage/

Please be advised, effective for sale and travel on/after 21 December 2015, new rates will be applicable for Oversize/Bulky Baggage.

Bulky items consist of any 'one' piece exceeding 158cm (62in) but not exceeding 277cm (109in) in total dimension [length + width + height], at a maximum weight of 23kg (50lbs), (may include surfboards, golf bags and other equipment)
Bulky items are subject to the bulky item fee plus the rate of excess weight beyond each passenger's allowance.
Any piece exceeding 277cm (109in) in total dimension [length + width + height] must be carried as Freight.
Please note that acceptance of excess baggage is subject to any applicable weight and/or aircraft payload restrictions and cannot be guaranteed.

Fiji Airways wishes to remind customers travelling to any Pacific Island Country and carrying excess or overweight baggage to please remember to allow for sufficient time to complete the necessary formalities at check-in

Fiji Airways accepts excess baggage on a space-available basis only and fees are therefore collected at the airport. If we do accept your excess/overweight baggage, it may not be carried on the same flight you are travelling on. We will make every effort to transport it on the next available flight with sufficient load capacity.

We cannot guarantee that additional baggage/weight will be carried. This is at our sole discretion and is subject to aircraft loads.

Please note: Pre-purchase of additional baggage allowance is not available on flights to Pacific Islands Countries due to operational requirements and load restrictions.

I got charged extra for my camera bag on the way down...but, at least they let me carry it on...and, I didn't get charged for board, or bags, on the way home...so it kind of averaged out...YMMV...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 01:13:41 PM »
you wont get any love at the NYC airports on Delta. 150 for a single prone even in a day bag.

I maybe fly with my prone boards once a year- and have never traveled with my SUP- but am at the airport about every other week for work on Delta and know the folks and system pretty well.

Curbside is your best friend- as well as a good atitude and potentially Andrew Jackson's help. and some Status.  If a MGR is going to stick to the rules plain and simple your board isn't getting on- and I know many a second hand story of it happening- especially at LGA vs JFK.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »
I'm flying out of Boston Logan International. I've had no love from that airport in any shape or form. I'm leaning towards not bringing my board at this point. Not getting on my flight would suck. I can always rent a board. However, the last board I rented left something to be desired. An early version Riviera Nugg. But it got me out into some nice surf so it had that going for it.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 05:49:54 PM »
cnski - I setup a rental board backup from Stacey Mac in CR, who's from Boston I believe actually. It was really nice having my own board and paddle though.

I wouldn't sweat it too much with Delta, especially if you use curbside. I also e-mailed customer support enough until I got someone in writing to say it was ok in a matter of words, printed that out and took it with me just in case.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »
Just got back from CR. Packed two boards -- a 9.1 Hokua X32LE and a 8.5 Prowave -- and two paddles into one Epic bag and had no problem with American Airlines. Cost $150 each way but AMEX gives a yearly $200 bag credit so it comes out to $100 total. Second time we've do this trip in this manner. It's undeniably nice to have your own equipment, especially in unfamiliar waters, but still a pain to be lugging such a large bag through two airports and then on the roof of a rented car through the mountains.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard