Author Topic: Starter Board for Family: Surftech Universal vs. Pau Hana Big EZ  (Read 3418 times)

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm looking to purchase my first paddleboard and am hoping to buy locally, which has limited my options somewhat (I live on the CT shoreline). I recently tried out the Surftech Universal and Pau Hana Big EZ. I've also used a Bic Duratech. All were 11'6.

I'm 6 feet tall and 175 lbs. I also would like my wife to be able to use the board. She is 5'2" and 120 lbs. On occasion I may want to take one of our kids out. We would be mostly in Long Island sound which in our town does not have much surf. I also get down to the East End of LI with some frequency. I know that the retailers down there sell Hobie, Riviera and Naish-- if there is anything else worth comparing.

I liked both the Surftech and the Pau Hana. I thought the Surftech was a bit more fun, but the Pau Hana was more stable and thus maybe better for the family. I'm tempted to buy now but am also consider waiting for the end of the season sales. I've also been following the used sales on Craigslist but don't want to buy a board that I haven't tried yet. (I also haven't seen anything that is a good fit for what I am looking for.)

I appreciate in advance any thoughts you might have. I've read the boards and I apologize if I have missed any comparison of these boards.
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Board for Family: Surftech Universal vs. Pau Hana Big EZ
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 06:49:01 PM »
Welcome to the zone! Both of those boards are large and stable "beginner" boards. They are usually found in fleets of rental boards since they offer most people a solid, stable first experience on a stand up. Both are well built and durable but a bit heavy. (Light, strong, cheap, pick two) The Pau Hana is set up to take quite a few deck attachments (like fishing rod holders or gear tie downs) Having said that, you correctly noticed that the Surf-Tech is a bit more responsive or "playful". Both are quite big enough for you and they will soon begin to feel a bit large. They are already very large for your wife and smaller family members, I wouldn't worry about either one being stable enough for smaller folks. They both are great boards to have hanging around to let beginners use on calm, flat water. They are also good to do yoga on or to take small children or dogs for a cruise. If you expand your search to other brands like Riviera or Naish an entire world of options opens up. Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:52:37 PM by addapost »
Bunch of old shit

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 06:20:26 AM »
Thanks, Addapost! I'm heading down to eastern LI and there are dealers for both Naish and Riviera there. I've been to the Riviera dealer and I did not feel that they were particularly knowledgeable. Can you recommend which models to consider from these manufacturers?
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 06:22:53 AM »
BTW the only other board I have been considering is the Boardworks Kraken because it got such a good review by Outside Magazine, and that I could likely pick it up from REI at end of season during their 20% sale.
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 07:10:25 AM »
I can't say what the right board for you is, but if you want to try and/or buy the universal, my brother has a lightly used version for sale (450 Craigslist, 400 Zoner discount).
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/spo/5720285851.html
Surfs decent for it's size.  I prone and sup surf with my 60 pound niece on the front pretty easily. Great deal if you both want to get used to the sport and once you get your sea legs, it's a great family and friends board.
(I probably should ask if you're in So Cal or Fiji...because delivery to Fiji ...well that just might be a quest I'd have to embark on. :)) )

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 07:29:51 AM »
Hi Jim. If only I was not in CT. . . that's a pretty good deal. If he is having trouble moving the board I"m happy to pay shipping costs if they are reasonable
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 08:40:33 AM »
Thanks, Addapost! I'm heading down to eastern LI and there are dealers for both Naish and Riviera there. I've been to the Riviera dealer and I did not feel that they were particularly knowledgeable. Can you recommend which models to consider from these manufacturers?
The Rivi Original 11' 6" is in the same category, a large, heavy, stable beginner board. I would also take a look at the 10' 6" if I were you. It is plenty big enough for your family. You will have a bit of a learning curve on it since it is quite a bit smaller than the other boards we've talked about, but after some adjustment you should find it to be way more maneuverable and fun and yet plenty stable. Just for reference I weigh 200 and I just went for a 3 mile paddle on a 9'6" x 29" x 134 liter surf SUP, so the 10'6" 171 L Rivi is PLENTY big enough for you (after a short adjustment period). I personally like the Rivi boards but in general they are not as durable as the Surf Tech or the Pau Hanas so be careful.

Naish boards are a step above the other three. They are well built, light, and in my opinion they perform better. I just saw that you found the Nalu for sale here. That would be a great board for what you seem to be looking for. And the price is awesome.
Bunch of old shit

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 09:56:18 AM »
Hi Jim. If only I was not in CT. . . that's a pretty good deal. If he is having trouble moving the board I"m happy to pay shipping costs if they are reasonable
I'm not sure what reasonable would be but I'd guess they'd add at least $100 to the cost (I have no idea.  I'd probably have to ask for help on this).  My guess is that you'll find something local in CT.  Best of luck on the search.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 10:05:54 AM »
If you're looking for something easy to paddle, I'm selling an NSP 11' for $400. It's used and a little scuffed. It has one small professional repair. I'm in Peekskill, in Westchester county. This was my starter board. If you want to try it out, you may.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 07:20:29 PM »
Thanks for all of your help. So I missed out on that Nalu deal but got a new Naish Odysseus 9 8 for a great price. I will report back when I get it. Not a well know board but many of the dealers I spoke to say it was a fun and versatile board for families. Will report back when I get it next week.
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal