Author Topic: Kids SUP  (Read 2752 times)

ManxSUP

• Waikiki Status
  • kook from the Isle of Man
    • View Profile
    • stuff I get up too...
    • Email
Kids SUP
« on: August 11, 2016, 05:33:50 AM »
Hi

Is there any recommendations for a kids SUP? My 6 year old is desperate to get started, should i stick him on my 6' 2" fish and give him a paddle, or is there any logic or reason to getting a proper SUP?

Kook from the Isle of Man. Mediocre at SUP, poor to average surfer, not bad on a motorcycle though...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Kids SUP
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 06:39:37 AM »
My granddaughter is also 6. I found an old Starboard kids windsurfer for her a few years ago for $50....an older softtop version of the one that Ivan uses in this vid below and I cut down and reshaped a friends broken kialoa paddle. It's a little wide for her but very stable so confidence level is high.... :). It's about time for her 1st real board though so I'm thinking of having a board made for her. She saw Patrick Brommels (local shaper and all around good guy) pink Hello Kitty raceboard and fell in love so a kids all around version will be in the works soon.

I found that most surfboards were a struggle for her to maintain balance. A 6'-2" fish might work though...certainly worth trying. Though if it's too much of a struggle and not fun  they won't want to keep at it.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:45:19 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 07:23:37 AM »
Bob, that's awesome, I am sure Patrick will hook you up once he knows who it's for !!

My daughter uses all of my boards but feels more comfortable on the bigger more stable boards. I also try to limit her solo paddling in fresh water ponds as she tends to wander away quickly and then I have to go chase after her (I did buy her a life jacket which is always on her in the ocean, plus a leash).

I had purchased a QB flyweight adjustable pink paddle for her which she does love due to foam (EVA) handle and I actually got it custom made shorter than normal which has been perfect as she has grown like a weed over the past few years. QB was awesome when I called and asked out it, price was decent too.

She also is very fond of my starboard inflatable which she uses in my parents pool all the time (I think she likes it better as it's a little softer when she takes a tumble onto it).

Good luck and have fun with her, she right around the age my daughter was when I got her out (now If I could only get her on my race board or get her on my 8'4 in the waves).

Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 08:16:26 AM »
I've seen a lot of kids on the Wavestorm Taquito, an inexpensive, kid-sized board available at Costco. Comes with a crappy but usable paddle and leash for about $130. Interestingly enough, I also have seen some small women ripping on the things. Used to come in a 6' and 7' but now it's 7' and 8'. Softtop, so less likely to dent your kid.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:19:49 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 09:11:02 AM »
Shit...I'm going to go buy her one of those this weekend. Maybe wait until next year for the Hello Kitty.

As an aside....I don't like how they show/advertise a "Life Vest Strap" on the board....any kid on a board should be wearing a PFD unless they are a strong swimmer and in the surf.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 10:00:25 AM »

As an aside....I don't like how they show/advertise a "Life Vest Strap" on the board....any kid on a board should be wearing a PFD unless they are a strong swimmer and in the surf.
That's horrible.  I looked up the Taquito and you can clearly see the strap labeled "LIFE VEST STRAP".  That's like selling a kids' bike with a "helmet rack".  I can't think of anything that would make that board LESS safe.  Why not add a "leash clip" so your leash doesn't drag in the water while you're not wearing it?

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 10:51:12 AM »
Don't delay picking up the Wavestorm.  I went to Costco for the SUP for myself 2 weeks ago and they were all gone.  But then school starts next week in South Carolina.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 11:03:43 AM »

That's horrible.  I looked up the Taquito and you can clearly see the strap labeled "LIFE VEST STRAP".  That's like selling a kids' bike with a "helmet rack".  I can't think of anything that would make that board LESS safe.  Why not add a "leash clip" so your leash doesn't drag in the water while you're not wearing it?

That's where I saw it, on the wavestorm website they have a red cross safety symbol that's clickable that brings up the picture of the "safety" device... ::) .

I wonder if that could be the basis of a lawsuit by a family that has a kid drown while the PFD is strapped to the board. I'm planning on writing to them about it and I think that argument might carry more weight than anything else I could say. Providing a tie down strap is fine...just don't label it....if anything include the wording that all kids should WEAR a PFD (and a leash too) while on the water.

Sorry for the thread hijack manx but I was surprised to see that on their website.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:10:31 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut