Author Topic: $$$  (Read 8953 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: $$$
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »
It's the 4 oz carbon that's gone bat shit crazy high.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 12:27:11 PM »
Quoting Badger; "The cost of boards, paddles and everything else has a lot to do with what people are willing to pay for them."  ..that's the consumer part of the equation. A measure of common sense and/or priorities.

I've run a small business for 38yrs and the bigger part of pricing is keeping the F-ing doors open. Paddles are niche products in a fickle market demanding 'improvement' about every six months. Material costs are often insignificant to paying everyone in a long chain of open hands with hope there's something left for you.  My suspicions are none of the 'repsected' paddle makers are wearing gold medallions and driving Lambos.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 05:34:41 PM »
Taiwan made NSP DC OCEAN RACE PRO CARBON 14'0" X 24.5 $2,999...come on! This is getting stupid and starting to feel like late 80's early 90's bmx money grab.

We have 5 paddles -> 2 new and 3 used all less than a year old when purchased.  Total cost $800 Cdn.  All carbon name brand high quality under 16 oz.  Excellent paddles.  That seems reasonable.

But paying $5369 Cdn for a SB All Star Carbon Sandwich is completely ridiculous.  $3595 for the Hybrid Carbon - and $3499 Cdn for a SIC Bullet 14V2.  But as long as sufficient numbers of people pay -> they will sell for that. 

Marketing is marketing.  "It is amazing that people are so predictable and easily manipulated."  Every board we have bought has been used - and the cost on average works out to be about 50% of retail.  Deals do appear from time to time around these parts - and you do have to be ready to buy.  Feel for those that do not have a good used market in their area.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 07:29:33 PM »
I just received a small amount of carbon 5.9 twill 10 yards of 38" for $15.50 a yd and 12 yds of 5.9 twill for $19.79 a yd. thats retail... In small amounts no less.
Thanks!!

Every so often a particular weight or weave goes on sale for a super low price. Soller Composites has a sale going on of 5.9 that's the best prices I've seen in years. I'm buying a bunch even though I'm pretty well stocked right now. Not quite as low as your price though--where did you get it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 08:05:54 PM »
Don't buy things where the price seems unreasonable. Naish was showing a list price of about $4200 for their top GX 14 ft. race board last year, and it dropped to $3600 this year, and I saw one (new-open box) on eBay for $2400 last month. The market resistance will cause things to change. Also most last year top race models drop 25-40% at the end of the season.
Frankly, while $400 for my ZRE paddles is a lot I can feel the big difference vs. the $200 level ones. I doubt I cold justify the Mana but I am an intermediate level paddler. However, the big difference is the paddle is it not obsolete in a year and will last for multiple years.
My thoughts anyhow.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 08:18:48 PM »
Just raced a local 5 miler today and one of the sponsors was Hornet, apparently a Chinese paddle Co.  They are selling 100% CF paddles for about $200.  Did a demo, and the paddle felt very light, balanced and stable.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »
Quoting Badger; "The cost of boards, paddles and everything else has a lot to do with what people are willing to pay for them."  ..that's the consumer part of the equation. A measure of common sense and/or priorities.

I've run a small business for 38yrs and the bigger part of pricing is keeping the F-ing doors open. Paddles are niche products in a fickle market demanding 'improvement' about every six months. Material costs are often insignificant to paying everyone in a long chain of open hands with hope there's something left for you.  My suspicions are none of the 'repsected' paddle makers are wearing gold medallions and driving Lambos.

Jim

I live about a block from Jim Terrell, super nice guy, owner of QuickBlade.  We are in a nice, but probably the most modest neighborhood in Newport Beach, and he is driving a pickup truck with CF race boards on top, not a Bentley.  Doesn't appear to be filthy rich and I guarantee you I'm not.  He practices paddling sometimes on the channel behind my house and he absolutely flies. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPsideATX

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 11:10:57 AM »
Sorry all, didn't mean to sound grumpy like. Just don't want SUP ending up as a fad.

In addition, when do celebrity shapers start adding to the total cost of the product? Seems like all major brands MARKET their shapers with board.

Do I care about these celebrity shapers?   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:12:45 AM by SUPsideATX »
12'6"Laird/Bark
10'6" SUP ATX
10' SUP ATX
11'6" Surftech-Surftank Universal

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 11:46:26 AM »
I thought SUPs were expensive until I started shopping for a bicycle.  I stopped that nonsense quickly and went car shopping.

You know, walking barefoot has some advantages.  ;)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »
Indeed, barefoot is good especially when you consider replacing your running shoes every 300 miles like some "experts" suggest.  At $160 per pair that works out to about $.53 per mile.  Just one more way paddling saves Zoners money.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »
I was going to make the same observation as SUPcheat about bikes. FYI, Steepandcheap is havinf a sale on standup boards and paddles.  http://www.steepandcheap.com/rc/stand-up-paddleboard-sale?page=0&nf=1
Some brand name stuff at 30 and 40 percent off.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 01:40:42 PM »
You can buy a board made in Asia for about 3500 euros, and you can buy a 12 kilo surfski also made in Asia for about the same price. Yet, you can also buy a carbon surfski made in Europe for 2500 euros, and the thing will only weigh 11 or so kilos.

Is it really the high price of Carbon?
Is Boeing affecting Asia but not Europe?

In France, no one is buying anything. I still have a near-brand-new 2016 board, the most popular model, for sale... at 2250 euros and no one is even looking at it. There same board, barely used, is also for sale for 1900 euros, and has been for sale on the net since June 1st.

Goes to show that you can raise the prices, or drastically lower them... but people in France aren't buying anything.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »
Is that a reflection of the current overall economy in France, or are you strictly referring to the SUP industry?

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 02:00:56 PM »
I think that carbon composite toys coming out of Asia are expansive - but sadly, the problem is further amplified with France not purchasing any toys. It doesn't even seem to be only about equipment though. At this time, France is somewhat paralysed: few are going on vacation away from home, few are spending money on anything but strict necessities.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 08:23:53 PM »
The Boeing effect has probably been swallowed to some degree, as the Tesla effect has been for LiPo batteries. I do remember when CF was about double the price of glass. We might eventually get back to that as more production comes on line. Just as the Gigafactory will probably make LiPos reasonable soon. The projected output of the Gigafactory is roughly 1.3 times the current combined capacity of all the lithium battery production on earth.

It would be nice to have some of the newer CF weaves and forms available. The more exotic stuff, like lightweight flat weave, is hard to get and expensive.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal