Author Topic: $$$  (Read 8952 times)

SUPsideATX

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
$$$
« on: August 05, 2016, 10:59:21 AM »
Taiwan made NSP DC OCEAN RACE PRO CARBON 14'0" X 24.5 $2,999...come on! This is getting stupid and starting to feel like late 80's early 90's bmx money grab.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:02:19 AM by SUPsideATX »
12'6"Laird/Bark
10'6" SUP ATX
10' SUP ATX
11'6" Surftech-Surftank Universal

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: $$$
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 02:25:54 PM »
Sorry, I don’t mean to hijack your thread, but I actually think the cost of paddles is worse than the cost of boards. Maybe there is a reason for the cost of paddles I don’t understand??? I’m sure there is lots of R & D that goes into a paddle, but still.

There is a thread on here about the Ke Nalu Mana paddle. I’m sure it’s a great paddle, so please don’t think I’m saying it isn’t. I’m just using it as an example. In Canada right now, the cost is listed as $699. To me that’s just crazy. I just ordered a brand new Lahui Kai race board for just over $1,700. Granted it is a very good deal as they are trying to clear stock, but still, a paddle for $700 vs. a carbon board for $1,700. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 03:48:09 PM »
You know the saying... You get what you pay for!!

If cost is a problem then find something cheaper!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 04:16:16 PM »
Yeah, carbon fiber stuff is really expensive.  Don't know why.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 04:17:25 PM »
The cost of boards, paddles and everything else has a lot to do with what people are willing to pay for them.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 06:06:46 PM »
Yeah, carbon fiber stuff is really expensive.  Don't know why.
That's easy Zoo, 4 to 5 times cost of the cloth and more labor intensive.  But ultimately supply and demand.  Hence one year old CF raceboards sell for a fraction of their original retail price.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 06:09:00 PM by Bean »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »
I think some new boards from other manufacturers are well over $3k now.  On the other hand, you can get some really nice new boards for much less, and really nice paddles for way under $700.  So it's not that money doesn't go less far than it used to for gear, it's that the higher end may have gotten higher.  I'd guess that a $2k board and a $400 paddle may be better than boards and paddles of the same price (or slightly lower to adjust for inflation) a few years ago.  High end stuff is often quite expensive compared to something that works nearly or equally well, no matter what field you're talking about. 

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 08:14:46 PM »
Sorry, I don’t mean to hijack your thread, but I actually think the cost of paddles is worse than the cost of boards. Maybe there is a reason for the cost of paddles I don’t understand??? I’m sure there is lots of R & D that goes into a paddle, but still.

There is a thread on here about the Ke Nalu Mana paddle. I’m sure it’s a great paddle, so please don’t think I’m saying it isn’t. I’m just using it as an example. In Canada right now, the cost is listed as $699. To me that’s just crazy. I just ordered a brand new Lahui Kai race board for just over $1,700. Granted it is a very good deal as they are trying to clear stock, but still, a paddle for $700 vs. a carbon board for $1,700. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

Too properly compare, figure it in US dollars, so the paddle is $525 US.  Still seems high, but more reasonable.  Exchange rate is a"boot" 75 percent right now. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 09:57:33 PM »
I think paddles wandered way up on price. too far in fact. Yes, carbon is expensive, mostly because Boeing is buying it all for their next-generation airliners.  But geez. But if you already have a Ke Nalu paddle, just buy the blade. A few minutes with a heat gun and you can swap in whatever you want for today.  That's what they were designed for.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 05:05:23 AM »
Ok I'll follow you down the rabbit hole before I go back to making hats ;)

Is Boeing really making that big an impact globally on carbon fiber supply? or is that just what the sellers of carbon goods hitch their wagon to for price justification? Does anyone here on this forum works for Boeing in composites? Is the same fabric being used by the SUP manufactures? Or is the word "carbon" the only similarity? How many board manufactures are using aero space grade pre-preg carbon cured in an autoclave? Maybe some paddle manufactures have a crude set up? Nothing on the scale or capability of Boeing...

Marketers blamed construction material cost rising world wide over some Chinese infrastructure projects as well not too long ago...different product, same spin.

Bill I'm sure you know much better than most that it (insert topic here) doesn't have to be the truth...the pervayer just has to get the lie out there, keep repeating it long enough... and get people to except it as something they just have to live with and can do nothing about. Our current political circus for president is a prime example of this.

You hear it over and over again in water sports like Windsurfing, SUP, Sailing. Comments on carbon are made about cost, or difficulty of use with very little knowledge or experience (if any) with the product. They just repeat what they read ...written by another person who "read" about from another person who "read" about  it...but no where in the chain was anyone who actually bought and used it on a scale large enough to speak with experience.

Bill with your launch of Ke Nalu Carbon paddles, and your marking background you must smile and shake your head from your higher "perch" watching this all play out. Not to put words in your mouth but I'm imagining you thinking from a reformed marketers perspective... "it is amazing that people are so predictable and easily manipulated"

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 05:08:38 AM by SUPflorida »

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 05:22:53 AM »
New, full-retail costs for SUP's are insane. Simple solution, buy used. It's almost always about half the new, full-retail price, and closer to what the real price SHOULD be.
Bunch of old shit

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 05:51:58 AM »
I think it is amazing like most other people about the prices of sup's especially the carbon boards.  Then I look at Waterborn SUP's out of Australia. The shapes look decent and people are liking them for the ride and durability.  Look them up and find that I could  probably buy 2 or 3 carbon boards and have them shipped to the US for cheaper then I could buy a new carbon board here in the US, most of them anyways. Looking at the surf shapes.  When some one figures out how to do this in the US I think the big companies may have to rethink their price structure.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 08:38:46 AM »
One of the price drivers in the US is that SUP companies generally use the ancient distributor product model. Take the cost of production, multiply by four, and there's your retail price. Margin for the manufacturer, brand, distributor and retailer. In a competitive market, companies start looking for more efficient ways to reach the consumer and cut out middlemen. But SUP stuff is bulky, and shipping is expensive. UPS raised the cost of shipping dramatically and bulky freight followed suit. Single piece shipment is unreliable--the freighters mangle the delicate boards unless they are crated--and that raises weight and cost. The only effective shipping option is container loads and truckloads, and that pushes the manufacturers back to the distributor model. They can go the Costco or big box route, who have their own transportation system, but purchasing there is a blood sport.

It ain't easy to make money in these businesses.

I don't know what's really driving the cost of carbon, but it's 60-70 bucks a yard for 50" cloth from the discount suppliers. It used to be ten. Of course a beer in a bar used to be 35 cents, but that's because I'm old.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 08:50:38 AM »
Maybe I should quit buying silver,  and start buying Carbon Fiber?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 10:21:26 AM »
I just received a small amount of carbon 5.9 twill 10 yards of 38" for $15.50 a yd and 12 yds of 5.9 twill for $19.79 a yd. thats retail... In small amounts no less.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal