Author Topic: Board Volume  (Read 5858 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Board Volume
« on: September 20, 2007, 09:24:48 AM »
We had talked about this a few months ago, but I wanted to revisit the subject with some new info.

Volume (maybe more than any other single spec) will tell you heaps about the usability of a board.  I had thought that the shaping software that many are using would give a true volume, and it turns out that this is the case (in both liters and beers-love it).

Check it out http://www.aps3000.com/software.php?p=overview

One of many screenshots they have posted:

I found out that my current 9'4 has a volume of 116 liters.  My weight plus the board weight, paddle weight and clothing is 92 (liters or kg-same number).  So 116 less 92 = 24kg.  That says my board will float an additional 53 lbs over what I am loading it with.

The end product floats me so that when I am standing still (not paddling) and parallel in paddling position the tail is under and my feet are about 1 cm above water level (so that a slight tilt in either direction gets them wet).  That feels about perfect right now. 

Ask your shaper the volume of your board.  It is a great reference.

Note:
This will be the volume of the board as it comes out of the machine, so, if I understand the process correctly, you will lose some volume in hand finishing.  This is correct to the best of my knowledge, but let me know if I am talking through my arse.

I hope this is helpful

Rand

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Board Volume
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:41:30 AM »
Completely agree this should be an industry standard.  As a 250 er myself the float is critical when working on getting a shorter board.

Great stuff.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »
If you like this kind of stuff, here is the vid of the machine in action.  Only $65,000? Chan can I...

http://64.78.18.131/live/MDAKA06/js.asp

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 11:58:15 AM »
Years ago the windsurf ind. really started to get into the volume thing, its a big help once you understand what 76 or 90 lit does. the surf guys have been a little slow to jump into this since they don't really need it as a added sales tool. Stand up needs to have the volume thing beacause of all the people crossing over from other sports who use this along with length-width.
 The test I saw years ago on volume was done in a tank of water put the board in sink it and measure the displacement of water and somehow they came up with a number

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 12:17:36 PM »
Could the Math and Science Team please come to the plate and explain how this can be done?

The GongSup http://gongsup.com/ guys put the volume thing on (BTW- I think they are giving their shapers and extra cup of coffee in the morning)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 02:01:04 PM »
Could the Math and Science Team please come to the plate and explain how this can be done?

Hi Michael,

Not quite sure what the question was.  How what can be done?

Best,
Randy

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 02:56:51 PM »
Without a computer shape calculator get a determination of the volume of a board?  Can you get it from certain measurements and put into a formula?

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 03:17:10 PM »
Ahhh, got it.  Without the shaping software or a dunk tank, I think that that would be some pretty rough math.  

But, if you really want to mess around, there is a free software download http://www.aps3000.com/software.php?p=software_download.  I have not checked it out, but it looks like you can add in your key measurements which should be pretty easy to take, and it will rough out a board with volume.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:45:37 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal