Author Topic: visiting downwind paddler in the Gorge -- a couple of questions  (Read 2004 times)

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi Zoners -

I'll be in Hood River next week and am planning to rent from Big Winds and use their shuttle for a couple of downwinders. A couple of questions I can't find easy answers to:

1. Is a neoprene shirt enough warmth for late July for most people, or should I pack a shortie?
2. Will I need to bring shoes to enter and get out of the river, or do bare feet work OK for most of you?

Of course, I'm also grateful for any general or specific advice.  I've done 25-30 downwinders on a 14-foot fixed-fin board above 20 knots, but in smaller conditions than what I think I'll see there.  The Big Winds board selection looks good, and I'm assuming that their paddles are also OK.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: visiting downwind paddler in the Gorge -- a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 07:17:29 PM »
Neoprene is more than fine unless you run cold. I usually wear flip flops down to the beach and then rope them into my pfd: high fashion.  However, bare feet is also fine with just a bit of ginger walking getting to the put in at Viento.

I'd do you your first run on something super stable like a Naish Glide or F14.  You'll get plenty of glides and build your confidence more quickly.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »
I have less experience there than some that will chime in, but here is what I know:

Cheap, lightweight flip flops are a good call.  Like BlueCrab said just hook them on your pfd belt.

Unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the water I can't imagine you would need a shortie.  Water should be pretty warm now and air temps get hot up there.  Doubt you will even wear the neoprene top really.

Big Winds has mainly Kialoa adjustables which are ok, but they feel like lead pipes on your 2nd or 3rd run of the day.  They do have a few Ke Nalu's floating around in the back at the event center.  Grab one and hang onto the whole time you are there.

They have a great selection of boards and they even come with quality downwind fins.  The SIC Bullet V2 was by far my favorite, but the Amundson TRX was pretty impressive also.

Have a blast!  And if you haven't heard already, www.thegorgeismygym.com has the best daily wind and weather forecast.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »
Like Blue crab said, neoprene shirt would be plenty and you can always peal it off.
Flip flops are optional if your feet are pretty tough. Nice for the put in, but not needed at the take out.

Big Winds is great and can answer any question you have and they are super friendly.

Watch for barges as you launch and then remember to look behind you on occasion. They move really fast and even if you see one a mile away, they will be on you before you know it. If you stay within 100 yds or so of the Oregon side, you won't have to worry about them as you'll be out of the channel. Probably a good idea anyway on your first few runs.

The only other thing that might surprise you is sometimes they are numerous gill nets near the shore. I don't think the fish are running much this time of year, so probably not an issue. If you find yourself approaching one you can just get on your knees and your board should go right over it with just a little fin bump.

Early summer was a little slow, but the wind machine seems to have been switched on now (at least until the Gorge Paddle Challenge ;)  ) Have a great trip!
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 08:50:40 PM »
A lot of fast guys go barechested--just boardies this time of year. I wear a rashguard--sometimes long sleeved--and 2XU tights (I need the compression for vein stuff) and boardies. I wear slippahs to the launch and tie them to my board.

Watch out for the gillnets. Remember if you fall on the upriver side of them you'll be carried back into them--so don't do that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »
Thanks to everybody -- great information on gill nets that I had no idea about, and I'll try my best to snag a Ke Nalu paddle from Big Winds (that's what I've been using since 2011).  I'll be they guy in the dorky Tilley hat -- I'll wave as you all glide past me.

Andy

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]