Author Topic: Black River  (Read 7204 times)

Miss Adventure

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Black River
« on: July 15, 2016, 10:25:46 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I paddled the Black River this week and wanted to share some pics. It's a hidden gem in Eastern NC that starts in Sampson county and flows along the Pender/Bladen County lines. It is famous for the beautiful cyprus trees and cyprus knees along its banks. The tannins from the cyprus knees and vegetation make the water the color of black tea which is why it's called the Black River. Anyway, we were trying to make it to the Three Sisters Swamp. The name "Three Sisters" refers to the three enormous cyprus trees that tower above the other trees. The oldest of the three dates back to about 365 A.D. which is the oldest dated tree east of the Rockies! Unfortunately we didn't make it to the Three Sisters because the river was high and was running faster than normal. However, we did get some great pictures and have a lot of fun paddling! A lot of non-locals (and many locals, in fact) aren't familiar with this river but it's a great place to SUP. It's calm, gorgeous, and I would even say spiritual. If you're ever in the area this is definitely a great place to check out.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Black River
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 01:01:30 PM »
Here in Texas, we have a lake similar to your Black River. The place is Caddo Lake and it is located in northeast East Texas right next to the Louisiana State line.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/caddo-lake

Caddo Lake has bald cypress tree growing out of the lake's water along other vegetation. Caddo is basically a combination of sloughs, bayous and ponds which interconnect with one another. The biggest predator animal in Caddo Lake are alligators.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
That looks like a great place to paddle.  I've found out that the southern "flatwater" rivers are deceptive.  They can have very strong currents, and lots of strainers.  I agree with you about the spiritual part----I felt that on the Edisto.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 04:04:15 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I paddled the Black River this week and wanted to share some pics. It's a hidden gem in Eastern NC that starts in Sampson county and flows along the Pender/Bladen County lines. It is famous for the beautiful cyprus trees and cyprus knees along its banks. The tannins from the cyprus knees and vegetation make the water the color of black tea which is why it's called the Black River. Anyway, we were trying to make it to the Three Sisters Swamp. The name "Three Sisters" refers to the three enormous cyprus trees that tower above the other trees. The oldest of the three dates back to about 365 A.D. which is the oldest dated tree east of the Rockies! Unfortunately we didn't make it to the Three Sisters because the river was high and was running faster than normal. However, we did get some great pictures and have a lot of fun paddling! A lot of non-locals (and many locals, in fact) aren't familiar with this river but it's a great place to SUP. It's calm, gorgeous, and I would even say spiritual. If you're ever in the area this is definitely a great place to check out.

What an awesome place to paddle. When are you going to make your next attempt on the Three Sisters?  :)
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Miss Adventure

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 11:33:21 AM »
Hi Everyone,

What an awesome place to paddle. When are you going to make your next attempt on the Three Sisters?  :)

Probably in the next couple of weeks. We will either leave earlier to give ourselves more time or launch from a closer sight if possible. :) I will update this post as soon as we make it!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 12:34:44 PM »
Very cool.....that might have to make my bucket list. Nice looking spot and I love old trees, the bigger the better. I assume there are camping spots in the area?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Miss Adventure

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:27:05 AM »
Yes, there are quite a few places to camp. People have created fire rings on several of the islands and beaches, too. There's one beach that's very popular for camping, swimming, picnicking, hanging out, etc. During our previous trip there a man pulled up in a John Boat and proceeded to set up a tent. We started talking to him and he was setting up a tent for his friends who were getting married that day. Their honeymoon was on that little beach!! Next time we go I'll post a screen shot of my Navionics app so you can see where it is. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal