Author Topic: Naish Javelin top rail redo  (Read 3162 times)

cruzanboard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Naish Javelin top rail redo
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:20:22 PM »
I have a 2012 Naish Javelin 12'6" GX that I like a lot for flat and semi-rough racing.
But I DONT like the raised rails on the top.
Not even like a sunken deck on a Starboard, just a 1"+/- raised rail on the top.
I like to get my toes out and curl on the rail from time to time. Its how I "feel" the board.
Plus pop-ups with the paddle across is a pain. And loading on the car rack is awkward.
So I decided to make a project of it and remove the raised rails and replace with standard flat top.
(needed a new deck pad anyway)

Below are some pics. I was going to try vacuum bagging some carbon fiber but did a hand layup of glass and carbon after advice on this forum.  Turned out pretty good. Doesnt do anything for the bottom of the board, thus no change in performance. Didnt expect any.  But was a fun fiberglass project for the first 2/3, then a pain to finish.  As usual.  I didnt check the weight to begin with, but my guess its about the same.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Naish Javelin top rail redo
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:22:38 AM »
Nice re-working of your Javelin. Looking at the before and after pictures, the finished re-work looks great to me.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 04:02:21 AM »
I have a 2012 Naish Javelin 12'6" GX that I like a lot for flat and semi-rough racing.
But I DONT like the raised rails on the top.
 pop-ups with the paddle across is a pain. And loading on the car rack is awkward.

good points

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 05:48:59 AM »
Came out sweet.
@rf.boardworks

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 09:45:52 AM »
Man, this is a bold reshaping project and it looks like your finished product is on target.  Any feedback on how it worked, both on the water and elsewhere?

(Side bar: I have a longboard surf sup with some pretty significant rail damage, but I'm not near the craftsman of any of you.  I've done the most basic ding repairs but anything significant gets shipped off to a pro.  I'm planning on turning the board into a retro singlefin noserider, reshaping the tail into a rounded pin, dumping the extra fin boxes and going single fin all the way, which needs to be fixed along with everything else.  Probably going to soften the rails a lot, maybe keeping a "v" bottom in the back, smoothing out the double concave and flattening out the single concave through the center...Wow that sounds like a completely new board.  I must be nuts. *checks lottery numbers)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 10:50:26 AM »
Nice work. 

It seems like a lot of people (including me) don't like raised rails for the same reasons.  So why would Naish have designed it that way in the first place, instead of more like this modification?

It seems like several newer Naishes (and others) ARE designed more like the modification, so maybe Naish also came to the same conclusions that leaving the rails high has drawbacks without any offsetting advantages?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:52:46 AM by pdxmike »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »
So why would Naish have designed it that way in the first place, instead of more like this modification?

The ridge provided stiffness. Hopefully, the new CF top rail will help bring some of that back.

In any event, really nice work, and looking forward to hearing how it paddles. 

cruzanboard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 08:13:49 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I have not noticed any significant difference in performance.
I was paddling my wide & slow NSP DC Race board during the project, so getting back on this faster board was nice but again, really hard to tell a big difference.
Gone through some small chop and boat wakes and I dont notice any flex in the board.

Funny part was when I first cut the rail off with a hack saw, the cross section showed a very thin black line on the outside, single carbon layer, with thick set fiberglass layup under.
Seemed like the carbon was more for show than function.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 03:29:06 AM »
Nicely done and presented Cruz!
I like that you covered up more of the black and added the EAA stickers.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

cruzanboard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »
Nicely done and presented Cruz!
I like that you covered up more of the black and added the EAA stickers.

jrandy- good for you. You noticed the 'experimental' sticker.
I did the work at my airplane hanger, and I was explaining the project to another flyer.
She suggested using the experimental sticker (required for home built airplanes). Thought it was a great idea.
If anyone asks, I'll say I work R&D for Naish.     8^)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal