Author Topic: Boardwork  (Read 59276 times)

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Boardwork
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2018, 08:47:12 AM »
Use a quality Rattle such as Montana
https://www.fiberglasshawaii.com/search/Montana/0/10/1
@rf.boardworks

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »
Use a quality Rattle can such as Montana
https://www.fiberglasshawaii.com/search/Montana/0/10/1
@rf.boardworks

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »
I've been pretty satisfied with the quality of Rustoleum (universal) and Krylon paints (both very flexible) but it looks like Montana offers some additional colors. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2018, 11:12:57 AM »
You're a fricken Magician Dub. I'm headed to the garage to fix some reef cuts and deck cracks on my venerable SIC 17.5 V1. I shouldn't have looked at your recent work before I do that. Shatters my delusions of competence.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2018, 05:22:40 PM »
Thanks Pono! Just take your time on the repairs, plus lots of sanding when you think your done sanding then sand some more. Or you can take this small advice  i often tell people “just think like the material” haha or maybe not.
@rf.boardworks

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »
Like I've said before...if you ever want to come east for a working vacation I have a great setup for guests...and a nice two car garage with tools....:) Of course if word gets around you're willing to travel you'll have invites to more interesting locales than Plymouth.....unless you have a fondness for the Pilgrims.....:)

I'd love to restore my 12'6" but I simply don't have the skills to do it justice. Sentimental reasons for wanting it restored and not just repaired...It's the board Pono gave me to start this journey.  It needs a LOT of work and I don't know of anyone local doing work at your level of quality. I snapped it years ago and had it repaired...it got stuck together and re-skinned with an additional layer of 6 oz. ...ugly along the break, heavy, and made the board feel horrible. Now a large section of the re-skin on the tail has delammed....:(
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2018, 08:20:14 AM »
Like I've said before...if you ever want to come east for a working vacation I have a great setup for guests...and a nice two car garage with tools....:) Of course if word gets around you're willing to travel you'll have invites to more interesting locales than Plymouth.....unless you have a fondness for the Pilgrims.....:)

I'd love to restore my 12'6" but I simply don't have the skills to do it justice. Sentimental reasons for wanting it restored and not just repaired...It's the board Pono gave me to start this journey.  It needs a LOT of work and I don't know of anyone local doing work at your level of quality. I snapped it years ago and had it repaired...it got stuck together and re-skinned with an additional layer of 6 oz. ...ugly along the break, heavy, and made the board feel horrible. Now a large section of the re-skin on the tail has delammed....:(

Send it out my way - would love to work on it, I’ll just charge material cost :)
@rf.boardworks

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2018, 02:31:22 PM »
Just noticed the response....Seriously? That would be very awesome. Let me send you some pics before you commit though....she's in rough shape..... :(. It's the original Starboard 12-6. Exposed Australian Pine veneer both top and bottom so that adds to the complexity. The guy who "fixed it" for me has sworn off repairing sandwich construction since I heard.... :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »
Lighting is a key element to getting almost perfect color matches - three different day time conditions
@rf.boardworks

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »
eDUBz,
Do you ever use an oscillating multi tool for sanding.  My ability to get resin only where I want to get it is, well, less than noteworthy. Wondering if someone with a light touch would benefit from the multitool for knocking down some of the hills?

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2018, 06:03:27 PM »
Not multi tools sanders - but the standard 5” hook and loop variable speed sanders like the DeWalts and Makitas

@rf.boardworks

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2018, 07:37:11 PM »
Brand new custom kamanu Oc1 Damaged in shipping

Super tricky orange fade blend on a laird surrator

JP twinser quad windsurfboard

Huki OC1
@rf.boardworks

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
Are you finishing those with 2K clear or poly hot and buff?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2018, 08:03:57 PM »
Both also depends on the project, no rules to repair work and color matching.  8)  I’m currently not doing anymore repairs at the moment, not sure when I’ll get back to it  :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:06:05 PM by eDUBz »
@rf.boardworks

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »
Here’s what Not to do, use 1/2” Divinyl cell for the tracks and expect it to hold up with a big guy flying down the line. Custom foil board with only 3 rides :-\
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:40:36 PM by eDUBz »
@rf.boardworks

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal