Author Topic: Coreban Fusion vs anything else  (Read 3686 times)

jjdub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Coreban Fusion vs anything else
« on: July 07, 2016, 09:28:22 PM »
I'm basically hoping any folks who have experience on the Coreban Fusion could share their insights comparing it to newer boards.  I assume the technology and shapes have changed a bit in the last 7 years and I'm wondering if there are any boards that far surpass it in performance AND stability.

There are a lot of threads about the Coreban from several years ago, but not much info recently or comparing it to newer boards, and rightly so.

I'm 195 lbs and find it a little tippy in choppy water and I'm not sure if that's because I'm balance challenged or because of the rocker and side to side stability of the board.  I find the board surfs pretty well and it's very cruisy, but it isn't quite as performance oriented and snappy as some of the more aggressive shapes, like the hokua x32 for example.

Thanks!
8'10" Bic Wave Pro Carbon Tec - sold 😔
9'9" Imagine Fluid
8'5 infinity B-Line
FFB colapinto
Lift 250/50 surf foil

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coreban Fusion vs anything else
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:07:01 PM »
I have the Icon which is the 10' version of the Fusion. Same shape and width. I'm 240 lbs. The shape is a 'performer' shape which is basically a longboard nose and rail line, but with more rocker in the nose. At the tail it's pulled in and thinned out with a swallow. The domed deck and thinned out rails make it feel even narrower than 29.5". It's not a continuous rocker. It has a steep nose rocker to an almost flat mid to tail rocker. Good for speed, but kind stiff to turn. It also paddles pretty good and catches waves easy. The Hokua will turn way quicker even at 32" because of the pulled in nose and tail, and continuous rocker. It will be harder to catch small weak waves, and not paddle very well. I have a custom shorter board that is similar to the Hokua. It's 9' x 31.5". It's a little more stable side to side and turns fast. It's no good in small mushy waves, and doesn't paddle well. The Icon is working good for smaller mushy days, but I still have my eye on a Simmons style for the same conditions. They're supposed to be pretty stable too.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 08:29:10 AM »
I have a Fusion. It changed my surfing. I think it's a great shape. I've surfed it from 2' to 8' and loved it in all. It seems to engender the same love as the AllWave in that way.

I had the Pure construction and it was strong and relatively light for a production SUP. 26lbs. I've ridden the Core construction in Hawaii and it's solid too.

Coreban doesn't get much marketing hype in the US and doesn't sponsor pros but they make great boards and the Fusion makes a good daily driver. Get on the tail and you can carve a beautiful turn but is wide enough to be stable in chop without feeling like a boat.

My next custom will be my interpretation of the shape. A bit narrower, a bit thinner and lower volume and weight but hopefully with the same user friendliness that I've loved for the last 3 years.

jjdub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »
Thanks guys.  I've been on it for about a year now and I do find that it catches even weak waves pretty easily.  My buddy rides that 8'11 AW and I think it's a bit more stable, but I haven't ridden it that much.  i definitely notice the flatter deck and it's not as tippy.

Any additional input on this board would be greatly appreciated.  I love mine, but just wondering what sort of difference I'd notice if I went with anything else, like a Sunova Speeed, Infinity RNB, etc... :)

Also, if you own or have owned the Fusion, what fin setup did/do you like best.
8'10" Bic Wave Pro Carbon Tec - sold 😔
9'9" Imagine Fluid
8'5 infinity B-Line
FFB colapinto
Lift 250/50 surf foil

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 05:30:56 PM »
I put F4VS or the Scimitar  front and F4 Back if you have the older board with all deep boxes.
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM