Author Topic: Kiteboard foil on SUP board?  (Read 4039 times)

alexf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kiteboard foil on SUP board?
« on: June 21, 2016, 02:59:36 PM »
I expect this has been discussed  but I can't check through 19 pages of the other foil post - can a kiteboarding foil fitted to a SUP work for SUP foiling? Anyone tried?

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kiteboard foil on SUP board?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »
If you install a Tuttle Box, there are several brands of hydrofoils that can work. GoFoil is the brand that Kai was using and they offer a foil and t-box kit. Kai was using the All-Around wing style from what I can tell in the vid, but he may have had a custom wing for specifically the SUP. Alex Aguera is associated with GoFoil, so I'd be curious if Kai used something kite specific or SUP/windsurf specific for the wing and fuselage design.
http://gofoil.com
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:06:16 PM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

alexf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 10:41:49 PM »
If you install a Tuttle Box, there are several brands of hydrofoils that can work. GoFoil is the brand that Kai was using and they offer a foil and t-box kit. Kai was using the All-Around wing style from what I can tell in the vid, but he may have had a custom wing for specifically the SUP. Alex Aguera is associated with GoFoil, so I'd be curious if Kai used something kite specific or SUP/windsurf specific for the wing and fuselage design.
http://gofoil.com

Yes I've see Gofoil . Also company in Europe AHD. Both offer SUP specific foils but much higher prices than comparable kite foils. It would be great if one could be used for both sports albeit unlikely. It would be comforting to see a bit more footage, user experience and info before spending that sort of money.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:34:45 PM »
I don't see why you can't use a kite foil on a sup. Some people think it would be too small but I don't see why. I'm 160lbs and I kite foil on the same board as a friend who is 210lbs. So the weight of the sup is not nearly as different as is the weight of the rider i.e. "50lbs.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 01:02:12 AM »
I don't see why you can't use a kite foil on a sup. Some people think it would be too small but I don't see why. I'm 160lbs and I kite foil on the same board as a friend who is 210lbs. So the weight of the sup is not nearly as different as is the weight of the rider i.e. "50lbs.

But your friend does use a bigger kite, creating more upward lift and though compensating your different weights!
On a SUP or windsurfer you don't have that upward lift a kite delivers.
So You need a bigger wing that is generating more lift.
Alex

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 03:05:54 AM »

That's what we thought too.

But Horue quotes this wind range for their CR foil ....

"windfoil and kitefoil use (18-40+kts windfoil / 8-30+kts kitefoil)"

So yes it works, but boy does it take a lot more speed to lift more weight.

I actually own this wing. For windsurfing at my wife's weight, it still took 14 knots to lift.

Conclusion, it's more than just weight. The vector forces are different and have to be messing with us.

So what's going to happen with no kite and just a paddle? That's the million dollar question

BTW, my windsurfing foil is way, way more stable than a kite foil. I wonder if that makes it easier to SUP a down wind board.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:11:16 AM by DW »

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:18:51 AM »
Well that sounds disappointing . However, I will still be looking for a board to try my foil on as a guinnypig. The wind here in Maui is ripe for this and it could be just enough help to getting up on the foil. I'm a mere mortal compared to Kai but try I will.
DW- I hope your right about the stability with the bigger board. It may cause the rider to have more drawn out turns which would lend well to down winding .Like in Kai's video.
I've been riding my kite foil downwind gliding in and through the outer swells with as little I put from the kite. It seems to be so effortless and above all void of noise.
I can only hope down winding will reach this point as it is bliss.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 11:20:29 AM »
I expect this has been discussed  but I can't check through 19 pages of the other foil post - can a kiteboarding foil fitted to a SUP work for SUP foiling? Anyone tried?

Why can't you check? Or search?
I mean if people already answered, do you think it is easier for them to rewrite what they already wrote?
I'm just curious.

alexf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »

Why can't you check? Or search?
I mean if people already answered, do you think it is easier for them to rewrite what they already wrote?
I'm just curious.

Oh dear, did I break forum etiquette? God forbid one to ask specific a question on a subject already 'generally' covered in another post  ;)

alexf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
Here's a little footage to stoke the foil appeites

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FGofoils%2Fvideos%2F489906454544973%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 10:01:15 AM »
Zane was doing a lot better than in that last SUP foil surfing vid clip with Connor...
The mast looks pretty big and it's positioned forward with Zane riding with his back foot right on top of it...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 02:11:24 PM »
I was out kiteboarding this weekend and was talking with some of the expert "wingnuts" (aka kite foilboarders) about foil-SUPing. This got them talking about foil-windsurfing and they mentioned that Bay area brand F4 Fins makes a really nice windsurfing specific foil that could be good for foil-SUPing as well. I've heard they're some of the nicest foils out for kite racing right now and are made here in CA. Not cheap, but probably one of best!
http://f4fins.com/product/suspendisse-vitaesem/
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal