Author Topic: Vacuum pump setup.  (Read 14549 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Vacuum pump setup.
« on: June 13, 2016, 01:48:05 PM »
So I have been working on this for a while and I think I'm finally done so thought it may be of help to post a few pics for anyone wanting to build similar. It cost about $600. The tank is a old compressor of eBay the pump is a gast oil less pump and then most of the fittings and vac switches are from veneersupplies.com. I have it set up so the the main resivoir goes up to about 20in/Hg and then regulate it down so the pump has to cycle a lot less often. If there are any leaks.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum pump setup.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 02:17:12 PM »
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 03:06:50 PM »
Nice!

Glad to see you made it back too. (Get any surf in in FL?)

In the exact opposite direction, I've been meaning to modify an aquarium pump ala Swaylock's and see if I can do some laminate testing here on handplanes and test panels.  This rig is sweet and the tank is a great idea too.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 03:38:52 PM »
Cheers yes had a few small waves and a few days on the lake wake skating, wake surf and bare footing which was fun. I think for very small stuf a aquarium pump would be ok but as soon as you get up to small board size you will want something larger. Even with this I still need to get most of the volume out with a vac cleaner

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »
Small pump and accessories:
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 05:23:54 PM »
Looks a lot like mine. I used an old compressor tank as well. I've been regulating the pressure with the vacuum switch but I converted a pressure regulator to do the same thing. Haven't tried it yet.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:28:13 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 04:16:08 AM »
supuk...nice set up...I bought all my vacuum kit from the same outfit...great people. Like your use of the compressor tank for your reservoir...if I ever find one local (and cheap/free) I want to convert mines over from the PVC pipe.

That aught to work sweet on your 16' ...hint, hint 😉

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 04:34:27 AM »
i use an old refrigerator motor,works great

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 05:09:19 AM »
Mine was a surplus store find, a Gast 'pea-winder', good for small projects. It also lets you know how good your bag is sealed since it doesn't keep up to big leaks.

We have a double Gast at work that I could/would borrow for doing a whole board.
A system with a reservoir and controls would be nice like what Charlie and Bill are using.

Loosehead, did you do anything special with the 'fridge pump? I read somewhere that using them for vacuum work starves them for lubrication.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 05:10:13 AM »
supuk...nice set up...I bought all my vacuum kit from the same outfit...great people. Like your use of the compressor tank for your reservoir...if I ever find one local (and cheap/free) I want to convert mines over from the PVC pipe.

That aught to work sweet on your 16' ...hint, hint 😉

yes yes im away again now from Thursday till the following Friday surfing for Team England at the euro championships but soon as im back its getting done! sorry for the delay.

I went the the fridge pump way and it works quite well but they don't like starting up under pressure, get very hot if used a lot and also tend to spit out a lot of oil which is never good in a composite shop environment. My first gast was found on ebay for relatively little and was a huge improvemnt you just have to keep a eye out on there.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 05:26:41 AM »

yes yes im away again now from Thursday till the following Friday surfing for Team England at the euro championships but soon as im back its getting done! sorry for the delay.

Your killing me "face palm"...lol... Not really...lol...You have absolutely nothing to apologize for...good luck on your contest...show them how it's done 👍🏻

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 11:24:47 AM »
Never used a vacuum bag for surfboard repair but spent plenty of time collecting soil vapor and groundwater samples with vacuums.  When available I'd use a 12V model that would plug into the car ligher port.  When I was too far away from the vehicle we'd use these little hand pumps.  New they're about $100. I'm sure you bunch of resourceful chaps can find them cheaper.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »
Life is too short to use a hand pump for bagging. I use those little guys for testing intake manifolds and bleeding brakes, but that's about it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal