Author Topic: MIA Paddler - Tahoe  (Read 14983 times)

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MIA Paddler - Tahoe
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2016, 07:28:35 PM »
Leashes are huge in preventing hypothermia as everone has pointed out. Even if you cant balance on the board, just pulling your torso onto the board and leaving legs in the water will drastically reduce loss of heat.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2016, 09:19:12 PM »
Leashes are huge in preventing hypothermia as everone has pointed out. Even if you cant balance on the board, just pulling your torso onto the board and leaving legs in the water will drastically reduce loss of heat.
You think so?  How true.....
....that comfort right there at the end of your arm. Even just knowing that changes things.
I never really gave that hypothermic shock much thought till others started posting horrible examples of what can happen with it here last year.....
Someone posted a question about it and from there.......tho I was aware and thoughtful of hypothermia before,......started giving second thoughts about a quick dunk.
All I want to do is jump in the lake.......getting old sucks.
Is it better to know less at times?
Thanks.
Be careful out there............and wear a leash.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2016, 04:37:58 AM »
I got hypothermic shock once. I was paddling with a friend. I had on a 5mm blubber suit on because the water was in the 40s, but the air was pretty warm. I had stupidly forgotten my leash, but my friend and I went out anyway. I was getting so warm that I took off the neck cuff of my suit, then I fell. I went backwards off the board, throwing it about 40 feet in front of me. A 40 foot swim is no big deal, but the cold water was pouring into my suit! I was probably in the water for about 30–45 seconds, but it took me almost an hour to recover from that cold shock.

In short, wear a leash, especially in cold water.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2016, 09:33:33 AM »
The amount of heat a shorty keeps in fully zipped is amazing.  As a precaution if out solo - we use this if doing an upwind downwind run in cold water and waves.

Can be tough to do when the sun is shining - but is a bit of very important insurance.  Getting dunked in without - is always a serious jolt to the system.  Sometimes a full PFD can add more heat just with all that foam strapped to your chest.  As well add a huge amount of rib protection if one slams into their board.

But the most important aspect is not to lose your board.  So a solid leash connection is vital.  Leashes do save lives - but having one with a QR can save even more.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

woodsupchuck

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2016, 03:51:08 PM »
A friend of mine made these stickers years ago for the whitewater rafting scene....seems appropriate here as well....this ones on my 'Superware' rig box....Stay safe and have fun!  Cheers, Chuck

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »
Been meaning to post to this because I was actually up at Tahoe when this happened.  I got there the day the young guy disappeared and heard about it the next morning from my aunt.  I had my brand new 14' board that I'd picked up the day before and as tempted as I was to take it out, it was way too windy, even for me who's fairly confident on a board.  My turnaround point for my regular paddles up there is Obexers, right where the guy disappeared.  I turned around there the morning after the event and it was eerie knowing somebody had just drowned right near where I was paddling. 

This trip up was my first time in a few years that I used a leash and waist PFD up there.  I'm a good swimmer and don't worry about getting back to shore if something happens but there was a lot of wind that weekend and better safe than sorry.  I felt like the new big 14'er could get blown away pretty easily.  And my cousin told me the authorities started passing out tickets last year for no PFD.  I also fell in once during the 3 different times I got out and it was cold.  Damn cold!  Especially with the wind after I got back on the board.  I had my 1mm shorts on under my board shorts, but only a rash guard on top.  Thankfully I was close to home when I fell.  Headed straight to the hot tub after I got out and it took a few minutes to warm back up.  Poor kid probably got too cold to make it back.  Sad story.     
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Fanatic Allwave 9'10 x 33
Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone saw this, but they finally found this paddler's body. RIP
http://www.kcra.com/article/body-found-in-lake-tahoe-believed-to-be-missing-athlete/10393187

King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal