Author Topic: MIA Paddler - Tahoe  (Read 14986 times)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: MIA Paddler - Tahoe
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 02:56:28 PM »
Starman - I agree 100% with you, in that SUP is too easy - especially on flat water. 

The big problem is that it IS so easy - anyone - and I mean anyone can get on a board - and paddle away on flat water. 

The "Leashes Save Lives" campaign is the absolute minimum that can be taught.   
Of course beginners should lean water safety / conditional awareness / etc. etc. - but at the absolute least it should be to wear a leash.

I feel it is up to all of "us" to teach / preach this. 

It is also up to the media (SUP specific magazines and web sites for sure) and manufacturers to stop publishing photos of people on flat water with out leashes.  It is sending the wrong message. 

The wakeboard industry went through something similar a few decades ago when the magazines and video makers would show the Pro's riding without vests on.  It took the death of a pro in a small lake in Florida to make everyone realize that vests were important.  The industry magazines sent out a letter to all advertisers that they would no longer print images of riders "on water" if they were not wearing a vest.  It changed the industry essentially overnight.   

Same thing needs to happen in SUP - Stand Up Journal / SUP the mag / Stand Up Paddle Magazine - and all the board suppliers need to stop printing images of people with no leash on - editorial or advert.  Period! 

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2016, 05:58:31 PM »
Shortly before this happened I was looking at all the ads in the latest issue of Standup Journal and thinking about how many were leashless. Almost all the ads showing flatwater are without and even many of the surf. Shame on the advertisers for not taking this issue to heart. I know the concern has ramped up quickly with all the tragedies of the last year or so and photoshoots and such are planned out in advance but time to get on board folks.

Clay.....I'm sure you'll read this. How about asking all your advertisers (until they get new photo shoots done) to display the LSL logo on all advertisements that don't show a leash (where a leash is warranted) and somewhere in the front end have a paragraph explaining why its there.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2016, 07:59:04 PM »
I’m on a lake. Always put leash on. Winds can pick up quick.

I carry a restube 
http://www.restube-usa.com/. It satisfies the local laws for pdf. When stopped by law enforcement (who often come by to ask if we need assistance - but do require pdf on-board) always give them the talk about how the leash is more important.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2016, 08:34:15 PM »
Re: Easy. Nothin like going to Hawaii, surfing overhead waves and then having your friends who've never paddled or surfed come back after paddling in a river and say, "oh we did that too!"

Never try to explain the difference, you'll only come off like a jerk. Just say, "awesome"!

clayfeeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Standup Journal, "The Original Standup Mag"
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 05:56:14 AM »
Yow, thanks Bobby StoneAxe, I  just also went thru our latest ish and see how few advertisers show paddlers wearing leashes... it's time to preach a "leashes are sexy" message, because nothing is sexier than a human that is still alive!!

... we drilled home also -- in our social media & web reports about the tragic last weekend for our sport -- that the #1 rule (along w/ leash/pdf/cell phone, etc.) is to check the hour to hour weather; i use www.weather.com to do this before EVERY paddle cruise sesh when i'm going up or down the coast.

keep on sweepin' (safely) in the free world guys, clay

www.standupjournal.com
"You don't always have to leave blood on the keyboards... but it should feel like you did."

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 06:22:51 AM »
I paddle flat water and I use a leash.  Just on the off chance that I fall off the board, I don't really want to swim for it.  Everyone should have one.  Not uncomfortable, not restrictive.  It's a no brainer.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 08:13:11 AM »
Not sure having a leash saves you from hypothermia other then making the recovery of the body easier.

I was reflecting on my windsurfing days and the very few fatalities even when it was hugely popular. There is no such thing as a leash for windsurfing and pfd's were seldom used. I think the biggest reason for the sports safety record was the learning curve. It took quite a few hours of training and part of that training was water safety. It was pretty much drilled into everyone's head that you NEVER left your board no matter what. Get tired? Sit and stay with your rig. Get blown out to sea? Sit and wait to be rescued. Rig separated from your board? STAY WITH YOUR BOARD. You were taught to self-rescue meaning you rolled your sail up; lay it between you and the board and prone paddle in. Worst case ditch the rig and prone paddle in. It was sailing and you were taught that shit happens in the open water and you need to be prepared to deal with the elements. I do think it helped that many of those who got into the sport had water experience as they either came from a sailing or surfing background. Plus people seldom windsurfed alone and most people keep an eye on each other as gear did break at the worst times.

SUP is too easy to learn, way too easy. If you can carry the board to the water and put on swim trunks you are good to go. No water safety training, no what to do if conditions change training, no explanation about the current water temperature and it's effect on the body. Just hand over a credit card and find out what time you need to return the boards. I see people knee paddling all the time and I think every beginner thinks this is the default safe position when it gets rough. Why isn't prone paddling taught as the self-rescue method of last resort?

Definitely all true...

I lost track of the number of times that I witnessed complete windsurfing wave novices that would come to Jalama and attempt to go out...

We never worried about them much, because we knew with the difficulty of the break, that they would get denied even getting off of the beach...some couldn't even carry their rigs to the water...the spot demands an above average level of competence...and, regularly claims lives from drowning...cold water and heavy currents...

I have helped them many times to drag their destroyed masts and sails out of the impact zone...it landed me in the emergency room once, when a German tourist let go of his busted rig and it flew into my head...cost me 20 stitches and the end of my session...never got bit by that dog again...;-)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:20:52 AM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 09:08:35 AM »
Yow, thanks Bobby StoneAxe, I  just also went thru our latest ish and see how few advertisers show paddlers wearing leashes... it's time to preach a "leashes are sexy" message, because nothing is sexier than a human that is still alive!!

... we drilled home also -- in our social media & web reports about the tragic last weekend for our sport -- that the #1 rule (along w/ leash/pdf/cell phone, etc.) is to check the hour to hour weather; i use www.weather.com to do this before EVERY paddle cruise sesh when i'm going up or down the coast.

keep on sweepin' (safely) in the free world guys, clay

Clay - will you not only ask advertisers to have leashes on in photos - but also only print editorial photos of people with leashes?
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

JP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »
Lots of comments placing blame on those who rent SUPs. I totally agree. It always amazes me when I see someone on a rental board holding the paddle backward.  Can't these people take 2 minutes to provide a little basic education to someone renting a SUP - never mind providing proper safety education.

However, I agree with EASYRIDER, that blame also has to go to the media, and even to experienced paddlers who don't take precautions.  I think people who don't have experience look around and see that others don't wear leashes or pfd's, and figure they don't need to either.  And there are countless pictures in the SUP magazines and on Facebook pages, where paddlers aren't wearing pfd's or leashes. 

Years ago, I would often paddle with only a leash. Then I started paddling with only a waist belt inflatable pfd when the conditions were calm.  Even on inland lakes, I always check the forecast before paddling, so if the forecast called for wind then I wear both.  But even on lakes weather can be unpredictable (especially on mountain lakes).  After I read about the guy who died doing practice runs for the Gorge race last summer, I decided the risk of not wearing both a pfd and a leash just wasn't worth it.  In strong winds and currents, there is still a possibility of a leash failing.  I've seen a guy fall beside me in a race (doing a buoy turn), and hit his head on the board and get knocked out with a concussion).  If something like that happens, it would be hard to operate an inflatable pfd. So crazy stuff can happen, and because I often paddle alone I made the choice to always be prepared as possible - YES, even on warm glassy days when I might not look that cool!  I think if more of us took the same approach, other less experienced paddlers would take notice and be properly prepared.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:25:07 AM by JP »

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »
Not sure having a leash saves you from hypothermia other then making the recovery of the body easier.

I was reflecting on my windsurfing days and the very few fatalities even when it was hugely popular. There is no such thing as a leash for windsurfing and pfd's were seldom used. I think the biggest reason for the sports safety record was the learning curve. It took quite a few hours of training and part of that training was water safety. It was pretty much drilled into everyone's head that you NEVER left your board no matter what. Get tired? Sit and stay with your rig. Get blown out to sea? Sit and wait to be rescued. Rig separated from your board? STAY WITH YOUR BOARD. You were taught to self-rescue meaning you rolled your sail up; lay it between you and the board and prone paddle in. Worst case ditch the rig and prone paddle in. It was sailing and you were taught that shit happens in the open water and you need to be prepared to deal with the elements. I do think it helped that many of those who got into the sport had water experience as they either came from a sailing or surfing background. Plus people seldom windsurfed alone and most people keep an eye on each other as gear did break at the worst times.

SUP is too easy to learn, way too easy. If you can carry the board to the water and put on swim trunks you are good to go. No water safety training, no what to do if conditions change training, no explanation about the current water temperature and it's effect on the body. Just hand over a credit card and find out what time you need to return the boards. I see people knee paddling all the time and I think every beginner thinks this is the default safe position when it gets rough. Why isn't prone paddling taught as the self-rescue method of last resort?

So yes, a leash can help keep you with your board but it won't save you if you break the other rules. In every one of the deaths described in article Bulky posted a rule was broken that could have saved a life.

I know Bulky has plenty of leashes but he's smart enough to carry a cell phone, as he is out alone in the wee hours a lot. Easy enough to do, as there are lots of waterproof cases for phones. Waterproof marine radio's start at around $130.

As far as I'm concerned wearing a leash is a no-brainer but if you leave the rest of your brain on the beach I don't think it's any kind of guarantee. I would venture to guess that 80% if the people new to SUP think that leashes are only for "surfing" and not needed if they just cruising on a lake. If someone can't envision loosing their board 200 yards out in a lake and wondering if they could easily swim back then there is a much bigger problem the sport has to address then just not wearing a leash.

A leash can definitely help save you from dying from hypothermia. Especially in areas where the water is cold for the majority of the year. Where I live the air temperature can hit 30 degrees C in April and May, but the water is still ice cold. If you can get back on your board, your chances of survivability go way up, but if your board is blowing away in really cold water, or just gets away some how? Not good. You got a very limited window when the water is cold. There is always the chance of cold water shock, and losing your muscle function quickly, which limits the ability to get back on the board. However, having a leash increases your chances of getting back on your board, and that increases survivability period. It's interesting bringing up finding a body with a leash, because even an unconscious person in freezing water still has a chance, and if they are still attached to the board, survivability is obviously better than said person who disappears completely and can't be found at all.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:46:17 PM by robon »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 02:24:48 PM »

So yes, a leash can help keep you with your board but it won't save you if you break the other rules. In every one of the deaths described in article Bulky posted a rule was broken that could have saved a life.

I know Bulky has plenty of leashes but he's smart enough to carry a cell phone, as he is out alone in the wee hours a lot. Easy enough to do, as there are lots of waterproof cases for phones. Waterproof marine radio's start at around $130.

As far as I'm concerned wearing a leash is a no-brainer but if you leave the rest of your brain on the beach I don't think it's any kind of guarantee. I would venture to guess that 80% if the people new to SUP think that leashes are only for "surfing" and not needed if they just cruising on a lake. If someone can't envision loosing their board 200 yards out in a lake and wondering if they could easily swim back then there is a much bigger problem the sport has to address then just not wearing a leash.

A leash can definitely help save you from dying from hypothermia. Especially in areas where the water is cold for the majority of the year. Where I live the air temperature can hit 30 degrees C in April and May, but the water is still ice cold. If you can get back on your board, your chances of survivability go way up, but if your board is blowing away in really cold water, or just gets away some how? Not good. You got a very limited window when the water is cold. There is always the chance of cold water shock, and losing your muscle function quickly, which limits the ability to get back on the board. However, having a leash increases your chances of getting back on your board, and that increases survivability period. It's interesting bringing up finding a body with a leash, because even an unconscious person in freezing water still has a chance, and if they are still attached to the board, survivability is obviously better than said person who disappears completely and can't be found at all.
All good points.  Also, while it may not be reason enough to justify wearing a leash, ease of recovering the body is worth something itself.  It would save a lot of risk and grief on the part of rescuers and survivors.  You often hear of deaths where the body recovery took hours or days and some risk, and others where no body was ever found.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »
As Robon said - being able to quickly get back on your board (because of a leash) in cold water will greatly increase your survivability. 

(coming from a guy whose water is frozen solid for 6 months a year).

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2016, 03:27:57 PM »
Very true PDX.

Local search and rescue teams couldn't recover drowning victims in two mountain lakes close to where I live and a team from Idaho was hired for recovery. The youth that drowned in one incident were canoeing in May and weren't wearing PFDs. The water was very cold but PFDs would have bought them a bit more time for sure. The other incident was a cliff diver who never resurfaced.

http://www.nelsonstar.com/news/266231251.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/slocan-lake-canoe-accident-all-3-missing-bodies-recovered-1.2657603

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »
Years ago, I would often paddle with only a leash. Then I started paddling with only a waist belt inflatable pfd when the conditions were calm.  Even on inland lakes, I always check the forecast before paddling, so if the forecast called for wind then I wear both.  But even on lakes weather can be unpredictable (especially on mountain lakes).  After I read about the guy who died doing practice runs for the Gorge race last summer, I decided the risk of not wearing both a pfd and a leash just wasn't worth it.  In strong winds and currents, there is still a possibility of a leash failing.  I've seen a guy fall beside me in a race (doing a buoy turn), and hit his head on the board and get knocked out with a concussion).  If something like that happens, it would be hard to operate an inflatable pfd. So crazy stuff can happen, and because I often paddle alone I made the choice to always be prepared as possible - YES, even on warm glassy days when I might not look that cool!  I think if more of us took the same approach, other less experienced paddlers would take notice and be properly prepared.

I have always worn a leash and in the summer I use a waist belt PFD and then in the winter a full PFD.

A few weeks ago I was out with a friend and we swapped boards. I had on my waist belt PFD and while we were playing around I took a tumble off his board. The board somehow flipped and I landed on the rail just as the board was perpendicular to the water. I almost knocked myself out and it took some doing to get back onto the board. My ribs are still pretty tender. If I would have been knocked out my waist belt would have been useless, although in this case my friend was near and could have helped. Still, I also paddle quite frequently by myself and it sure got me thinking. Can’t say for sure I’ll always wear my full PFD, but it does make you think.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2016, 04:55:11 PM »
Very true PDX.

Local search and rescue teams couldn't recover drowning victims in two mountain lakes close to where I live and a team from Idaho was hired for recovery. The youth that drowned in one incident were canoeing in May and weren't wearing PFDs. The water was very cold but PFDs would have bought them a bit more time for sure. The other incident was a cliff diver who never resurfaced.

http://www.nelsonstar.com/news/266231251.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/slocan-lake-canoe-accident-all-3-missing-bodies-recovered-1.2657603
Good examples, robon.

The guy who died before the Naish race in Hood River was missing for just a day or so, and that was a horrible time for lots of people.

I work with building codes a lot.   People know they're written to protect building occupants, but forget they're also written specifically to protect emergency responders, such as fire fighters. Part of paddling safety (leashes and otherwise) is to keep yourself safe, and part is to keep rescuers safe (and to keep them from burning through money and resources staging rescue and/or body recovery missions).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal