Author Topic: MIA Paddler - Tahoe  (Read 15040 times)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
MIA Paddler - Tahoe
« on: June 12, 2016, 09:12:38 AM »
Here we go again. Same story... wind picks up, rider falls off, no lifejacket or leash.
http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/Paddle-boarder-reported-missing-on-Lake-Tahoes-west-shore-382551111.html

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:16:07 AM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MIA Paddler - Tahoe
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »
Sad.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 10:22:24 AM »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 10:25:05 AM »
I wonder if they were using rentals?

Very sad and not to come across as overly preachy regarding such a tragedy, but this really drives home how important it is being properly prepared and outfitted. These paddlers were 1.7 miles offshore, got hit with 3 to 5 foot swell, and it was not warm out. For some reason there is a lingering perception that inland waters don't get conditions, and I think there is also an inherent confidence factor with our sport that it is safer than it really is. Mountain lakes are viewed as a glass water paradise and if you fall off your board, you climb right back on, etc. Things change quickly when you are getting hit with 5 foot swell and the water is cold and air temperature has fallen. As always, education is key but people are going to do what they are going to do, but hopefully this serves as a real wake up call.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
"That's when Ma started swimming back to the shore.  Obexer staff saw that they were in trouble - headed out in a boat to help the other kids - and told him to keep going to shore - they would come back to him."

"Everyone else in the group was washed off their boards and Ma, the most experienced paddle boarder, headed back to shore to get help."

Seems like Obexer Marina staff should have pickup up young Ma when they talked to him.

Ma was actually being a hero trying to get help for his buddies.  But it seems his board got away from him in the waves with the PFD attached.  Quite tragic really.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 11:06:36 AM »
+1 on the danger of lakes. 

Lake Tahoe is at what, 6500 feet?  Altitude has a big effect on our ability to swim.  I remember the first time I tried to do laps at 5300 feet when in shape at sea level.  Spooky wake up call for me. 

Scary to think of what that kid went through.  Very sad.

Support your local shaper

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 12:17:32 PM »
.....These paddlers were 1.7 miles offshore, got hit with 3 to 5 foot swell, and it was not warm out. For some reason there is a lingering perception that inland waters don't get conditions, and I think there is also an inherent confidence factor with our sport that it is safer than it really is.......
Yes.
Can't find it but I think it was covesurfer who said this in a way that really stuck with me not all that long ago after some similar tragedy. The learning curve is so quick to be up and paddling that before you know it you/they are suddenly out there doing good and having a great time, unaware of what can possibly happen and that it can happen very quickly at times. Uncle Joe and Aunt Sally are going to give it a go some weekend and this is going to attract masses because of what it is....which is a great thing, but......
In the words of another Zoner, It's all good, till it isn't.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 03:04:37 PM »
The water temp will get you too.  I didn't like being in the water for 5 seconds.

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 08:12:47 PM »
Some might see it as overkill but I go with a pfd and a leash each time, wearing both. I'm a strong swimmer, but better safe than sorry. I'm out by myself most of the time so it makes sense just in case I knock myself out somehow.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 08:53:14 PM »
Probs what he should have done was to hop on his board - put on his PFD - then sit and wait.  If he just temporarily let go - the board could have just drifted just a couple feet away.  If cold and exhausted - that would have done it - with no leash.

We always wear an inflatable PFD and leash minimum where we paddle in the ocean.  And go to a full PFD when in rough windy conditions and cold water.  Really cold we add a wetsuit or full-on dry gear.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 09:09:11 PM »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 11:44:59 AM »
^^ What Stoneaxe said! 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »
And it wasn't just this one...

http://www.supthemag.com/news/news-four-sup-deaths-over-the-weekend/?sf28754851=1#ryxu818ZBYWA8FUh.97

+1 on Stoneaxe

Never without a leash.  Ironic we're having this conversation again but I imagine this would be preaching to the choir here on the zone.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 02:32:44 PM »
^ oh! wow. Misfortune weekend. We had local misfortune too.

Guy goes out. No leash, no lifejacket, no wetsuit (honesty no need for wetsuit for an experienced paddler - water like 58F, air upper 60’sF). Not sure but seems like very very new to sport, maybe just bought board.

60 some Ft from shore he falls. Struggles to get back on board and begins to sink. Many witness and three immediately swim to rescue, no hesitation. Haul him up from bottom (not too deep). Others call rescue meanwhile and ambulance and helicopter there within minutes. He dies in hospital.

Sounds like his card was up.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »
Not sure having a leash saves you from hypothermia other then making the recovery of the body easier.

I was reflecting on my windsurfing days and the very few fatalities even when it was hugely popular. There is no such thing as a leash for windsurfing and pfd's were seldom used. I think the biggest reason for the sports safety record was the learning curve. It took quite a few hours of training and part of that training was water safety. It was pretty much drilled into everyone's head that you NEVER left your board no matter what. Get tired? Sit and stay with your rig. Get blown out to sea? Sit and wait to be rescued. Rig separated from your board? STAY WITH YOUR BOARD. You were taught to self-rescue meaning you rolled your sail up; lay it between you and the board and prone paddle in. Worst case ditch the rig and prone paddle in. It was sailing and you were taught that shit happens in the open water and you need to be prepared to deal with the elements. I do think it helped that many of those who got into the sport had water experience as they either came from a sailing or surfing background. Plus people seldom windsurfed alone and most people keep an eye on each other as gear did break at the worst times.

SUP is too easy to learn, way too easy. If you can carry the board to the water and put on swim trunks you are good to go. No water safety training, no what to do if conditions change training, no explanation about the current water temperature and it's effect on the body. Just hand over a credit card and find out what time you need to return the boards. I see people knee paddling all the time and I think every beginner thinks this is the default safe position when it gets rough. Why isn't prone paddling taught as the self-rescue method of last resort?

So yes, a leash can help keep you with your board but it won't save you if you break the other rules. In every one of the deaths described in article Bulky posted a rule was broken that could have saved a life.

I know Bulky has plenty of leashes but he's smart enough to carry a cell phone, as he is out alone in the wee hours a lot. Easy enough to do, as there are lots of waterproof cases for phones. Waterproof marine radio's start at around $130.

As far as I'm concerned wearing a leash is a no-brainer but if you leave the rest of your brain on the beach I don't think it's any kind of guarantee. I would venture to guess that 80% if the people new to SUP think that leashes are only for "surfing" and not needed if they just cruising on a lake. If someone can't envision loosing their board 200 yards out in a lake and wondering if they could easily swim back then there is a much bigger problem the sport has to address then just not wearing a leash.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal