Author Topic: Allstar 2017 changing ?  (Read 40472 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Allstar 2017 changing ?
« on: June 09, 2016, 04:28:03 AM »
Does anyone know if the Starboard Allstar is changing for 2017 ? The new sprint was seen at Lost Mills but I wonder if anyone had any inside track on whether the Allstar is changing for 2017. Opinion on the 2016 board and some (albeit not robust) testing has indicated the 2016 board has a nose that doesn't like flatwater so much made me wonder if they might go back to something more piercing ?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Allstar 2017 changing ?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 05:03:57 AM »
I dunno about nose changes but doubt, as an allwater board, that they'd go to more piercing. Piercing noses are not your friend in downwindy stuff. Also not so user friendly if you're caught in "racer chop" for us normal peeps stuck in mid pack.

I have heard the concaves will be even more pronounced... and aren't loved by all.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 06:14:18 AM »
Virtually all design solutions result in pros and cons. We have heard a lot about the undoubted advantages of the 2016 All Star's bottom concaves (eg. improved tracking and stability). But what are the downsides? There must be some, surely? How do they affect surfing or manoeuvring for bumps, or performance in cross-winds and cross-chop ?

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 08:27:40 AM »
I believe the 25" & 27" inch wide 14's will be replaced by 24.5" wide and 26" wide. Other than that, I don't know anything, which is normal for me.

At 6'1" and 195lbs, I don't think I'd ever go narrower than my 25" wide 2016.  I think my weight and balance skills are right at the breaking point with the 25" wide.  The 26" wide version next year is enticing for me as a friendlier winter downwind board when I really don't want to go swimming as much.

There is a guy my weight in Canada who time-trial gps tested the 2016 23", 25" and 27" and the results were interesting. There was almost no speed penalty between the 25 and 27 (flat water.)
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 09:43:39 AM »
I believe the 25" & 27" inch wide 14's will be replaced by 24.5" wide and 26" wide. Other than that, I don't know anything, which is normal for me.

At 6'1" and 195lbs, I don't think I'd ever go narrower than my 25" wide 2016.  I think my weight and balance skills are right at the breaking point with the 25" wide.  The 26" wide version next year is enticing for me as a friendlier winter downwind board when I really don't want to go swimming as much.

There is a guy my weight in Canada who time-trial gps tested the 2016 23", 25" and 27" and the results were interesting. There was almost no speed penalty between the 25 and 27 (flat water.)

The 25 was tempting for me but I didn't pull the trigger as I felt the new nose design cut down it's versatility in races. If there is going to be a 26 though, thats a tempting prospect and a good size option for a much bigger market across a range of waterways. I'm not convinced about no difference between a 25 and 27 on flat water though - I like to see the methodology for that.

p.s. how do you find the 25 on both flatwater and open water ?

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 10:08:52 AM »
Be warned, I am Starboard "team racer" and get my boards at a discount.  However, the last 2 seasons I have raced Starboards that I have bought at full price when I wasn't "sponsored."

I've only had the 25" wide 2016 Allstar for 3 weeks, but here's my brief findings.  It likes to get up "on top of the water" and thats when you see the gps speeds start to creep above 6mph on the flats.  But like a lot of boards, as soon as you tire out/fatigue and the board "sinks" the speeds go back to avg.  I think where this board excels is the versatility.  It catches tiny bumps with very little effort, and the new nose design is less affected by other board wakes and side chop.  In a medium downwinder it punches through waves, and I still felt the need to brace expecting it to pearl like a lot of other race boards, but it doesn't.  I've never been a stellar buoy turn guy, and this board feels a bit "twitchy" when I step back to pivot.  Still getting used to it however.  It tracks very well, perhaps because of the multiple concave channels, but I'm not smart enough to know if thats the reason.  As far as the flex everyone talks about, I hardly notice it and really expected it be much more noodle like at my weight.  While it does flex if I jump around on it, I never notice it during my stroke.  In comaparison my old Bark Dominator and M&M were much softer. I raced the 2014 Allstar last season, and this is a huge improvement over a board I really already liked.

Here is the brief data from my Canadian friend…A guy who has raced for at least 8 years. Naturally it is not conclusive and it was a brief test, and you have to throw out the anomalies.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:13:08 AM by greatdane »
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:42:47 AM »
As noted before - was told that the 25 was probably going to drop down to 24.5 next year - with no major design changes.

SB tried a more piercing shape in the 2015 Race - and dropped that board.  We tested that board as well in the 14x25 and found that board to be less stable than the AS 23.  A sponsored SB rider concurred with our assessment.

The trip concaves provide a side platform to stabilize on before tipping too far - and my wife easily paddled the 25 upwind.  I found the 25 too stable - so preferred the 23.  My wife really liked the 25 as she was very fast on it.  If we got one however - it would probably be the 23 CS.  We are both lightweight riders.

Fortunately the 4 boards we have provide a sufficiently wide spectrum for our uses - but we could use a narrower board - on occasion.

The feel of the SB All Star has changed a lot over the years - as they try to find the right AW mix for a one quiver board.  The 23 provides a less splashy nose - is efficient enough - and is stable enough.  The 25 would work - but is not as efficient.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 12:20:16 PM »
your weight?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »
Probably no heavier than Kai or any of the top young riders competing.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 01:18:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QCpQ2rE9hU

Trevor Tunnington talks about the latest Starboard All Star as he tests it our in Oregon, USA.

Cheers, MArko

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 01:34:19 AM »

Trevor Tunnington talks about the latest Starboard All Star as he tests it our in Oregon, USA.

Cheers, MArko

It might be the camera angle but the nose looks slightly more elegant than the 2016 version. I'd like to see footage of it moving at race pace to see if the nose whiskers have calmed down a bit.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 03:54:24 AM »
Virtually all design solutions result in pros and cons. We have heard a lot about the undoubted advantages of the 2016 All Star's bottom concaves (eg. improved tracking and stability). But what are the downsides? There must be some, surely? How do they affect surfing or manoeuvring for bumps, or performance in cross-winds and cross-chop ?

Had a fun 20 knots DW last night on my 2016 Allstar x 27. I agree with others that it picks up bumps v easy and the nose didn't really give any probs - it seemed to punch through and pop up quite nice - little bit of slowing but nothing to worry about and I never got thrown off.

I think the concaves work really well on getting it up on a plane and with overall stability but not convinced they are a great thing for side chop and cross current and the big volume nose etc certainly isn't ideal for side winds - give me my M14 any day of the week for a proper DW. My pal had a quick shot after paddling his M14 and he felt that the Allstar had a good turn of speed but interestingly he fell off - got caught by the concaves I think. I suppose you get used to how one board handles and jumping on another straight away can catch you out.

Now I ain't a good DWer by any means - fairly limited experience - but I come from a surfing background and I far prefer being on the M14 when on a wave. The Allstar feels like a barge compared - disconnected almost maybe due to its volume and big ass. 

But, I keep reminding everyone - it is an all water race board not a DW specific machine so it will have limitations. But overall - very nice board - versatile.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 03:57:37 AM by coldsup »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 08:39:08 AM »
Adding more volume to the nose and adding side chines - plus adding a tail kick pad for 2017.  Personally have found the 2016 14x23 CS to be spot on as is and would not change a thing.  Have paddled ours a lot the past month and really like it in AW ocean conditions and winds to about 12 kts.  The board is simply fantastic for that - and have not paddled a more efficient board.  The AS23 is 4.3% faster than our Dominator over 5 miles - and has a peak sprint speed of 7.2 mph for an old man with crappy balance.  As a light weight rider though - I find the nose volume is already plenty -> and adding side chines looks to make the 23 tippier than it is already.

For any full-on 25 kt DW action up in Squamish  - would not dare bring up the 23 unless we wanted a crazy challenge.  The Bullet 14V2 and especially M-14 are truly perfect solutions when powering and slicing across short period swells with their low profile surf nose designs.  The bulbous cutting boof of the AS23 is much better optimized for flatter and more docile conditions.

Not shown in the vid -> but the 2017 Sprint in 21.5 should be wickedly fast on flat - so long as you can keep 100% power down.  Probably perfect for Connor and his peers with much better balance -> and better strength to weight ratios.
Fast is FUN!   8)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 10:29:13 AM »
Think you nailed it there Eagle.....these Allstars are very good but have limitations when it gets a bit more windy. I bet the narrower boards are fast.

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 12:09:59 PM »
Any chance that for 2017 they can 1) put the handle at the balance point and 2) elongate the fin box so that it will accept normal fins? Those are my two regular gripes with the 2016.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal