Author Topic: Allstar 2017 changing ?  (Read 40692 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Re: Allstar 2017 changing ?
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2016, 05:51:56 AM »
When top athletes have to travel to a race, taking two boards may not be the easiest thing in the world. Since such competitors can still excel on flat water using an all-water board, all the more power to them.

For the rest of us mere mortals, I find that at lower speeds between 7.5 and 8.5 km/h, a flat water specific board glides beautifully, and CLEARLY requires a lot less effort.

With this in mind, I sold my 2016 14x23 Sprint - a model that hadn't changed much in 3 or 4 years. My new one will be a completely redesigned bow for the 2017 14x21.5, this time really designed for flat water. It will make a beautiful companion for any all-water board.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2016, 06:10:06 AM »
I agree with photofr: flatwater boards are definitely faster for most people in anything like flat water conditions. I think most people are buying all waters boards not because they are faster for most racing they will do, but because they are more stable for a given width. This makes them quite pleasant to paddle even if they aren't the fastest. Plus, International elite paddlers can't go taking a quiver of boards with them so take an all-rounder as a safe option, and weekend warriors tend to copy them.

Has anyone tried the 2017 Fanatic flat water board? The last one was too extreme a FW board, but the new one looks like a very interesting compromise that might suit lots of people who don't often go out in open ocean/DW conditions. It looks like it could cope with quite a wide range of conditions but still be fast in flat water.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2016, 06:38:00 AM »
^  ”Le monde a l'envers!"

The guy who lives in one of the windiest, waviest, highest tides and craziest currents parts of the world chooses a pure-glass flatwater board. The guy who lives on a lake, me, picks a downwind board and is happy with that as a quiver of one and riding it in glass conditions.

[edit to add]
And the guy in the windiest, and perhaps choppiest, place yearns for a cutting bow flatwater board!

What’s up with that!!!???

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »
While we tease and joke about the silly grade school marketing of the brand - the AS is actually an incredible design compared to older versions pre-2016.

Buying a 24.5 on the spot is making a pretty strong statement considering you just bought the SW25 recently.  As a beginner 6.3 and 202 - and a previous Sprint 23 owner - the 24.5AS must have been a really nice board for you.

It seems that 24.5 may become the new 27 race width for many possibly.  I know for me - the 23 is perfect though.  Not too tippy and not too slow.  Just right in fact.  Perfecto!   :)

I still hadn't had the chance to try the new one. I still have a 2014 26 width 14 footer which (apart from starboards god awful durability that year) is a really quick board and great in all conditions.

I am waiting for one of the big brands to jump on something like the Allison ventral fin concept - if only as a means of marketing to help rejuvenate what will be becoming soon, diminishing returns in board design.

You gotta try one when you can.  And if need be - just cut in a few more fin slots and plop in some more fins.

I'm seeing more people say that but they never do more than one test run and have no margins of error.

Qoute from Eagle:
"I am waiting for one of the big brands to jump on something like the Allison ventral fin concept - if only as a means of marketing to help rejuvenate what will be becoming soon, diminishing returns in board design."
You are right my friend. In the pic below Infinity had just posted the 2017 Cat. Allison Probox Finsystems with Allison Ventral are Standard.
I think that has no Margine of error (-:
Allison Race Fins

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2016, 11:36:37 AM »
While we tease and joke about the silly grade school marketing of the brand - the AS is actually an incredible design compared to older versions pre-2016.

Buying a 24.5 on the spot is making a pretty strong statement considering you just bought the SW25 recently.  As a beginner 6.3 and 202 - and a previous Sprint 23 owner - the 24.5AS must have been a really nice board for you.

It seems that 24.5 may become the new 27 race width for many possibly.  I know for me - the 23 is perfect though.  Not too tippy and not too slow.  Just right in fact.  Perfecto!   :)

I still hadn't had the chance to try the new one. I still have a 2014 26 width 14 footer which (apart from starboards god awful durability that year) is a really quick board and great in all conditions.

I am waiting for one of the big brands to jump on something like the Allison ventral fin concept - if only as a means of marketing to help rejuvenate what will be becoming soon, diminishing returns in board design.

You gotta try one when you can.  And if need be - just cut in a few more fin slots and plop in some more fins.

I'm seeing more people say that but they never do more than one test run and have no margins of error.

Qoute from Eagle:
"I am waiting for one of the big brands to jump on something like the Allison ventral fin concept - if only as a means of marketing to help rejuvenate what will be becoming soon, diminishing returns in board design."
You are right my friend. In the pic below Infinity had just posted the 2017 Cat. Allison Probox Finsystems with Allison Ventral are Standard.
I think that has no Margine of error (-:

That was my statement, not Eagle's. Manufacturers may well jump on it. They may equally jump on it and put the fins in the wrong place. Either way, marketing has more pull than performance at the end of the day and I don't trust manufacturers that produce no data.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2016, 11:55:05 AM »
Larry - for me and my wife - boards like the AS23 are plenty stable enough with the OEM.  We are not in the market for a quad fin set-up.  And in fact we purposefully use a smaller SIC 7.0 for more challenge and to provide more maneuverability angling across waves to minimize broaching.

Based on our PMs - you seem not to send out any demo fins for people to try.  That would be the best option for me if possible.  But you did give me very good pricing on a GT.  What pricing can you give me for your new carbon Aercor?  It does need to fit into my 2016 All Star fin slot though.  Thanks.

edit - yugi - that Ace is crazy fast upwind.  The boof does not pearl and the pintail has like zero drag.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:57:01 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »
The problem with the AS is the big bulbous nose.  Was out yesterday in outflow winds about 15 kts and the 23 motored upwind.  Needed to keep the nose angled into the wind though - but was ok.  Problem was DW the nose was quite hard to angle - as the wind pushes hard on all the windage. 

You must make a concerted effort to constantly correct and aim left if you want to go left.  Otherwise you just get blown straight DW.  Handling in the bumps was fine though but not nearly as good as the Bullet or M-14.  Ok for small stuff - but not my choice for over 15 kts.  And that is with the reduced volume of 2016 - and in the low profile 23.  So something to be aware of - the increased volume adds float - but also adds windage which is a problem DW or going 90 to the wind.  Get a Bullet or M-14 for that for sure.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2016, 09:13:54 PM »
Or a Vapor, or a Maliko, or a Falcon, or a Rail, or a Sidewinder...etc... lots of ways of avoiding the "fat lip failings" :)

Plus, the thin-lipped boards tend to surf better.

It's all about choices I guess, and getting the right tool for the job.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2016, 09:27:21 PM »
Yep - just goes to confirm again that no board can do everything at the top of its game.  Every board has its own specific compromises. 
Fast is FUN!   8)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2016, 11:57:46 AM »
My 2015 Starby Race 🏁 and I have become friends in some chop. Cross wind not so much. Down breeze challenging. Still fast in glass and surface chop.

Not liking the Bluefin except racing in junk.

This has become my favorite section as I have learned a great deal.

My next one will be my last - hahahaha! Riiight dude!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2016, 11:17:13 PM »
Yep - just goes to confirm again that no board can do everything at the top of its game.  Every board has its own specific compromises.

Yes... and for this I have three boards (ok, actually four, but one is for sale) :-)
Allstar for training and race.
Bullet for vacation at the sea or windy days on lakes or same boat waves at the danube river.
Starboard Stream for whitewater.

So I hope I don't need another board for the next months :D
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal