Author Topic: Big Wave & Uncomfortably Big Water Safety Techniques  (Read 7047 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Big Wave & Uncomfortably Big Water Safety Techniques
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
9mm cord?

Yup.

I'm making my own waist leash now. I've changed out how the release works and how the cord attaches. I've also added float to the waist band. I have about three pounds of float in the waist leash I just built, and some decent spine and kidney protection. Comfy, not too bulky and it doubles as a third party gopro mount. If you break your leash you can slide the belt up to your chest as a swim aid.

I'll add some pictures after I put it together again. I ripped out all the seams tonight to make changes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:19:03 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Big Wave & Uncomfortably Big Water Safety Techniques
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 08:39:49 PM »
Here is one of my 9.5 mm UNBREAKABLE leashes.  Only the 2nd failure in 4 years.  However this one might have been more than 2 1/2 years old definitely a bit rusty.  Should have swapped out sooner.  Good news was it broke in the middle not around my homemade terminal tackle.

I am leaning now towards double leashes in bigger conditions.   Go with 7 mm but double down on the leash.  It takes a bit of artistry to get them to work doubled up e.g. make them equal lengths, reconnect at the swivel, disregard the swivel and attach one to each of two leash plugs . . .

I find that the failure in the middle tends to be pretty random.  If you double down you diversify the random factor.  Still probably best to swap them out regularly.

I am still loving the thimbles (white hoops).  All the terminal tackle is reusable so when a leash does break or needs to be replaced I just rebuild.  No need to spend $40 every time.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:46:59 PM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal