Author Topic: Do you think Windsurfing is making a comeback?  (Read 58287 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Do you think Windsurfing is making a comeback?
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2016, 01:53:58 PM »
I had some pretty good success flying my new foil...pretty stoked...loving it so far...
First off...it's very smooth flying above the chop...kind of ethereal...and, kind of frightening at the same time...;-)
My biggest crashes occurred when I would see how high I could fly it...until I realized that you don't have to fly it that high...maybe too much wind and not enough skill yet...of course, pilot error...smaller board would be better once the foil is flying...ended up taking the front footstraps off for now...felt a little less frightening have a brain bucket and impact vest on, though...there definitely is a learning curve...;-)

I can now use the same sail size as my wifey...we were at least 0.5m2-0.7m2 apart non regular windsurf gear...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »
The prices of new w'surfing equipment is getting ridiculous, $2100 for a new board!!!!!!!!!!! , $600 for a new sail or mast!!!!!!!!!! , $700 for a new carbon boom!!!!!!!!!!.
If you haven't kept up with it, only needing a new whatever only once in awhile, then it's pricing itself out of the market for newcomers.
It's still easy to find used stuff to learn on, but once you want some new stuff, you'll be asking yourself, what the hell!?!
It's probably on par with golfing now (including green fees on the finer golf courses), only a guess, I don't golf because I tend to be a club thrower.

That's why there's disc golf.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:18:29 PM by surf4food »

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2016, 01:31:42 PM »
The prices of new w'surfing equipment is getting ridiculous, $2100 for a new board!!!!!!!!!!! , $600 for a new sail or mast!!!!!!!!!! , $700 for a new carbon boom!!!!!!!!!!.
If you haven't kept up with it, only needing a new whatever only once in awhile, then it's pricing itself out of the market for newcomers.
It's still easy to find used stuff to learn on, but once you want some new stuff, you'll be asking yourself, what the hell!?!
It's probably on par with golfing now (including green fees on the finer golf courses), only a guess, I don't golf because I tend to be a club thrower.

I have always found the used market for windsurf equipment to be quite friendly to the buyer.   Most windsurfing enthusiasts seem to be wealthy,  and like to upgrade their equipment often.   

JP

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2016, 12:00:33 PM »
Kalmus Beach, Hyannis, MA. Cape Cod still draws a decent crowd on windy days. A few days ago around 7-18-16

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2016, 12:34:15 PM »
Hey Weed, what about Friday, the 22nd??

I'm always looking for someone or something to blame!  Surfing with a paddle did it to my days as a proner, and it has taken a lot of the "wind out of my sails" for windsurfing. 

Weed captured me on an epic Friday afternoon at Cape Cod's Kalmus Beach. 

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2016, 12:37:54 PM »
As a windsurfer Weed knows, that picture does not quite convey the craziness of being full out on a 3.7 sail.

As far as windsurfing being dead, it was a lot more exciting than the surf we've had for the last few weeks.   

Thanks Weed, I thought that was a great shot!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:41:18 PM by ron.c »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »
Agree that Weed captures some of that local fun that WS provides...
We just camped and hung out with some wind addicted board heads for a week up in Oregon...good times getting caught up...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal