Author Topic: CA ISUP Repair?  (Read 6957 times)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
CA ISUP Repair?
« on: May 30, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »
ISUP repair in northern CA? Go!
Couldn't find anything via the search option.
It's a RPC 12'6 Race. 4' long seam blow-out.
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CA ISUP Repair?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 05:41:41 PM »

On the Seam means it is trash
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 05:54:10 PM »
well if anyone can fix it , it's Zach and his guys at : http://www.raftrepair.com/

they're in Denver, Colorado
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 06:30:27 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that.  How old is the board?

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »
Contact the company directly, via their website. 
They are usually very responsize.  Maybe they'll step up...
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 12:03:51 AM »
iSUPs are easy to ship so send it back. How old is the board? Was it overinflated or left in the sun for a long time?
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 07:38:29 AM »

Ouch, which year? And how?
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:56:25 AM »
Was it overinflated or left in the sun for a long time?
Ouch, which year? And how?
Model year = 2014
I think it was a combo of being in the sun for too long and the nearly 100* temps. The board was at 20psi. It was also covered with a sun-reflecting sheet which obviously didn't help at all. I had the board leaning against my fence.  The seam along the batten area blew out. Even the batten blew out of it's pocket.
Unless it's fixable, I'm out of the SUP game for a while until I can get the funds for a new board. :(
After this experience, I'll never buy or own an inflatable SUP again. Until they can make them with multiple chambers and easier to repair, I'd rather have a cracked and water logged board that still floats vs. a blown-out iSUP that's no better than a door mat now.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:59:09 AM by 2Rivers »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 12:13:29 PM »
Hard luck. At least you weren't a long way from shore/home when it went.

We still don't really know what the longevity of iSUPs - and different constructions of them - is, because they haven't been around in sufficient numbers for is to get enough data. But I've still got some hard boards stored outside (in the shade) from 2008 that basically look pretty much like new. I doubt that many iSUPs will look like new after 7 or 8 years left outside, and with each passing year I get less confident that my iSUPs won't go pop when I next blow them up, or even worse, when me or my kids are on them in the water. Maybe iSUPs should have expiry dates, or periods after which they should be pressure-tested for safety reasons.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 02:37:03 PM »
Red makes a good board and I'm sure it can be repaired. You should see some of the stuff we get from our customers at ULI ("it came off my car driving on the freeway - sorry").  If I was leaving a board in out in the sun with 100 temps I'd suggest dropping it down to under 15 psi to be on the safe side.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »
Hard luck. At least you weren't a long way from shore/home when it went.
Maybe iSUPs should have expiry dates, or periods after which they should be pressure-tested for safety reasons.
I was glad it happened at home the day after I went paddling. At least I was able to get one more session out of her. Good times! She'll be missed.
The Expiration Date idea is interesting. I know that climbing ropes have an expiration period caused from use, environment, uv, etc., so it would be ideal for an iSUP since they're exposed to similar conditions, not to mention the pressure stress from within.

Red makes a good board and I'm sure it can be repaired. You should see some of the stuff we get from our customers at ULI ("it came off my car driving on the freeway - sorry").  If I was leaving a board in out in the sun with 100 temps I'd suggest dropping it down to under 15 psi to be on the safe side.
I agree that RPC makes good boards (some of the best imo), but since they're distributed here in the US, they're not set up to facilitate repairs. Seems like it's not a big enough market to invest in a repair center that specializes in drop-stitch constructed boards and rafts. I did find this guy in NM via Google, so maybe he can do some magic for me. Stay tuned.
http://www.jpwinc.com/suprepair.htm
I should also say as a long-time kiteboarder, I agree that I should have deflated it a bit as I do with my kites when resting on hot sand for an extended period, but since the board maxes out at 25psi, I was thinking it had some room to safely expand. Wrong!
I also thought the reflective sun cover would have helped protect it. Wrong again!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:29:36 PM by 2Rivers »

randersen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 05:02:37 PM »
There is a guy in Sacramento, Roger in Del Paso Heights, who does inflatable repairs.  He works mostly on inflatable boats, but did a seam repair last year on my Naish One.  He repaired the seam about ten inch split and reinforced the area with an overlapping patch.  Looks decent and should be stronger than original. He understands the drop stitching so knows not to interfere with that.  Cost me $100.  Got his name from Adventure Sports on West ElCamino. He looks to know what he is doing, although very scary area!! PM me if you want his number.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal