Author Topic: Barbecue and grilling...  (Read 8715 times)

SupGa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Barbecue and grilling...
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »
When we burnt through the tub of our gas grill after 10 years of heavy use, we replaced it with a PG1000 pellet grill by Cookshack. Love this pit and it's a little bit different from most of the other Pellet grills on the market as it includes both a direct charbroil side and indirect smoke side. The pits firebox is located on the left 1/3 side of the pit giving you a 10x18 direct grilling surface and the right 2/3 's of the pit gives you a 18x18 indirect cooking surface. Running about 10 inches over the two cooking surface is a 10x28 top rack that gives additional cooking area. In effect you have 4 zones with varying temps, hottest lower left and cooler as the heat travels up, over and down to exit throughout he stack at the lower right. . Temp is set for the indirect side (Zone 4) so set temp of 250 , will result in temps of approx 275 in zone 3, 325 in zone 2 and about 380 zone 1. And the warming drawer under the Indirect  Zone 4 will be about 125. This gives you a number of areas where other items can be cooked at varying temps.

One of our favorite way to cook steaks is a reverse sear. Will set temp at 250 and smoke the steaks for approx 20-30 minutes, put them in the warming drawer and increase the temp setting to 600. In about 5 minutes the temp at the direct Zone 1 will be over 900 deg and a quick 30 sec sear on each side and the steaks are done. Still juicy nice medium rare with slight oak smoke flavor.

Smoke from the pellet grill is not as strong as from a stick burner, which is fine as both my wife and I like a little subtler smoke flavor. However I can increase the amount of smoke by adjusting two other setting LHT (low heat) and HHT (high heat). Closer together less smoke and less of a temp swing, while set a little farther apart more of a temp swing and lots more smoke. When I first got the pit, my neighbor thought the house was on fire as I had so much smoke billowing over the roof.

It's been a pricey investment but even my wife said it was worth it. We've done everything from Prime Rib to Weekend bacon and biscuits. Have not had a bad meal come off the pit. Like being able to set the temp and fill the hopper for a 16hr smoke knowing I don't have to babysit the pit or worry that I need to add more wood. Also can taylor the taste to a degree by using various types of pellets from Hickory, Oak, Mesquite, Maple Sugar, Cherru, and apple.

Attached a pic of the pit and some baby backs @ 3.5 hrs 250deg. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:09:43 PM by SupGa »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 05:30:34 PM »
You dog! That thing rocks. I'm in the market for a new BBQ. I don't think I can afford /justify anything in that price range, but it's nice to dream....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
That thing looks awesome, I have to get a smoker!
I just rediscovered lamb after not eating it for maybe 40 years at least.  My parents practically raised us on lamb, a favorite of theirs, so my brother and I loved it as well.  But both my ex and current wife won't eat it, as well as most of my friends, so I went with out, foolishly.
Had some lamb in a fine restaurant about 3 weeks ago, and now I can't get enough of it, but I still have to eat it by myself, BBQ lamb chops, nothing else tastes like it,,,,,,,,, so good!
I would love to try smoking some lamb, I can only imagine.
It takes a quiver to do that.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 07:14:49 PM »
All the raving and accolades I have heard about the pellet cooker/smokers over the last 4-5 years from people I know with one has been reinforced here.
My 3 burner Weber gas grill still amazes me for the precision of the controls on it compared to anything else I have had. Grease trap and all that stuff is way better as well.

Smokers from old freezers?  Never done one myself.

Dutch oven pineapple upside down cake? I had that down with charcoal years ago when the kids were small.....gonna have to try again this summer.

Would go camping with a friend who was a wizard with a dutch oven. Get a fire full of great coals. Dig a hole. Put meat, potatoes, veggies, in a dutch oven. Can't remember if put any coals on the bottom or just on top but would put the coals in and rebury the oven and go fishing for the day. Get back at the end of the day, dig it out, and everything was perfect.

I like these for car or trailer camping. Drive the stake next to the fire, slide on a grill or griddle. Make sure you get a canvas bag or something to carry it in and a pair of vise grips to keep in it as well. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:21:21 PM by lucabrasi »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »
You dog! That thing rocks. I'm in the market for a new BBQ. I don't think I can afford /justify anything in that price range, but it's nice to dream....

Build one. Old butane tanks make a great BBQ. Take off the fitting, dump in some detergent, fill full of water and do your initial cuts with an angle grinder with the tanks still full of water.

Buy this book but use smaller tanks, http://franklinbarbecue.com/aa-meat-smoking-manifesto/   You probably don't need to do fifteen briskets and five turkeys at once.

Justification for a MIG if you don't already have one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 09:41:22 PM »
Kamado is the way to go...

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Hamachi Kama...

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 09:45:14 PM »
ribs...

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 09:46:49 PM »
pizza...

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2016, 09:52:34 PM »
chicharones...

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2016, 09:59:41 PM »
…and whole brisket (point and flat as one piece), whole turkey, whole chicken, burgers, kebabs, steaks seared at 900' F, etc.  It can do anything.  Really.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal