Author Topic: "OB" brand SUP?  (Read 4825 times)

Jaybee

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
"OB" brand SUP?
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:38:18 PM »
Hi everyone. A beginners question please. Has anyone heard of an "OB" brand paddleboard? i have attached a link to the board I am considering.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=197855450

With the currency coversion the whole deal is about $600.00 US.

Any opinions gratefully recieved.

Jaybee

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "OB" brand SUP?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:25:15 PM »
Have read another advertisment by this seller. He describes OB as being "made in China in The biggest board factory in the world where they just put boards out under different names". 

The paddle is also "OB". Is this worth looking at or should I spend more and get a known brand?

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 03:01:51 AM »
i dont know the brand

there are a lot of good boards made in the far east but many terrible ones
as well - the better comapnies have a good relationship with the manufactuers and proper quality control - others dont and just fax
an order and the factory sticks a label on whatever is coming out the factory

i think if you are on a budget you would be better off with a second hand
board from a known company

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »
That board looks amaingly like the ISLE SUP in shape and color pattern.  Being made in the "biggest factory" in China may not be a positive selling point.....In my opinion. ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 01:32:12 PM »
There will be a lot of knockoff SUP stuff coming out of the far east very soon. I'm surprised there isn't anything in Costco already. Like anything from China, you pays yer money and you takes yer chances. There's no one backing these things up, so when something goes wrong you're on your own. If money is tight, look for used stuff.

All that  said we all know that most production boards are made in the far east. Quality can be pretty darned good, or shockingly bad. I've seen longboards that heel dented in one session and delamed in a month. No fixing something like that, it's $500 worth of garage decoration.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »
That board looks amaingly like the ISLE SUP in shape and color pattern.  Being made in the "biggest factory" in China may not be a positive selling point.....In my opinion. ;)

Aren't all the "big" names made in China?  As far as I can tell, China looks like it is "the" cutting edge of SUP production and manufacture.  That seems to be how you make a buck these days.  The day will probably come when most if not all boards will be made in China.  Design it on your computer and it will arrive on the boat a few weeks later.

Kaweeka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 09:19:02 PM »
I think cutting edge would apply more to folks like:

http://www.wetglassevf.com/about.html and http://www.imaginesurfboards.com/eng/home.html

Making products in China is over; creating environmentally friendly products in your back yard is the new forward thinking way to go.  Do what you have to do but if you do not support the builders in your area and do not think about the waste you are creating - can you sleep at night?

Ok, Ok give me a couple of days to get over today's events and regain my less than environmentally friendly outlook.  Then again change is in the air  ::)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 07:21:26 AM »
I’ve never heard of OB surf, so this may not apply to them.  But, I know that there are ‘entrepreneurs’ who will take a surfboard or SUP board to China to be copied. They can take any board, whether they shaped it, Velzy, or  Skip Fry, and they can get a China factory to replicate it cheaply as long as they order enough of them. There are others, like Angulo, who create their own boards, develop their own lay up schedule and technique, supervise production, and have high quality control. Like someone posted earlier, you get what you pay for.

Jaybee

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 11:58:20 AM »
Thanks for all the sound advice guys. I have decided against the OB board.  I would love a second hand board but SUP is a fledgling sport in New Zealand and I have never seen a second hand board come up for sale yet. I think I will have to just bite the bullet and spend a bit more money. Am lnow considering...

Naish 11'6"
Oxbow 11'6"
NSP 11'

Thanks again for the advice

Jaybee

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 12:27:47 PM »
You are better off in the long run getting a board that was made by someone who knows what they are doing.  Just because it looks like a SUP doesn't mean it will paddle and surf like one should.  Everyone and their brother is jumping on the bandwagon to make these things because people are willing to pay $1500 usd a pop for them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal