Author Topic: SUP Sports "Hammer": 8'11"x31" or 9'5"x31"  (Read 23763 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
SUP Sports "Hammer": 8'11"x31" or 9'5"x31"
« on: May 14, 2016, 04:50:31 AM »
I'm hoping SUP Sports (WarDog) will see this post and give me some needed advice. Any other person reading this post is welcome to give me their opinions also. I've made this a public post instead of a private message to WarDog because I lurked on this site since last November gleaning all the info I could until I decided to become a registered member during the last week of April. I figure someone else might be lurking also so these types of public posts will help them too if their weight is close to mine.

This past Tuesday I listed my sot (sit-on-top) Ocean Kayak "Scupper Pro TW" kayak for sale on my local area. I'm selling it to make room in my garage for a second SUP. This SUP will be used 75% of the time on lakes and ponds. The subdivision where I live has a 10 acre pond where kayaks, row boats and SUP's are allowed. This small pond is also 100 yards from my home. Just 25 miles from my home is a 20,000 acre lake.

The other 25% of the time I will be taking this SUP to the Gulf of Mexico which is 90 miles from my home. I'll will using this SUP for paddling around in the various bays and saltwater marshes down there. On the Gulf side of a peninsula, the Gulf of Mexico has small waves and I plan on using this SUP for playing around in the small waves (stomach to head high) on a good day. I'll also be paddling around in the saltwater marshes too.

Below is a link where there are webcams so you will be able to see the one bay, the Gulf side of the peninsula and in the distance from the fish cleaning table (at the marina), you can see the salt marshes. Once on the page, left click on the webcam thumbnails for a larger photo. The webcams refresh every 30 seconds.

http://www.cbwebcam.com/

On flat water (ponds, lakes. saltwater marshes), I'm thinking on a short board under 10' in length which can track straight if I want to take a 5 mile round trip paddling session. Also, the board must be able to handle our small waves on the beachfront.

I'm 66 years old, 5'8" tall and weigh 145 pounds. The SUP Sports "Hammer" series seems to be the best contender. The problem is, I'm not sure what length to choose from. I'm looking at the 8'11"x31" and also at the 9'5"x31". At my 145 pound weight, I don't want a SUP which will feel "corky" to me. In other words, the board's volume will be too much for me.

I've seen the Hammer 8'11" being paddled in small pond in the video link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhnlEeILjH4

The Hammer 8'11" is the one I'm leaning towards. Whatever Hammer I choose, construction material wise, I'm going for the production made SUper Lite Two Tone Carbon Fiber ($1799) since some of the places I want to use this SUP, it's going to be a 150 yard walk so all I'll be taking (beside life jacket and water) is a paddle and SUP.

I've also looked at the Hammer 7'11" and 8'5", but I'm leery of their shorter lengths for straight line tracking on flat water (ponds and lakes). As I've stated above, I'm hoping WarDog sees this posts and responds to it since he is the designer of the Hammer series. Anyone else is most welcome to give their opinions both pro and con.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Sports "Hammer": 8'11"x31" or 9'5"x31"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 07:57:01 AM »
I know Wardog will chime in on this post but from my personal experience I can say that I have 80 pounds on you and ride the 9’5” in any and all conditions.

The Hammer is a very surfy but stable board. You’ll be fine on the 8”11”.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 03:04:05 PM »
Aloha Night Wing,
southwesterly is correct...an 8'11" Hammer would serve you well...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series

However, we can also make you a custom...if you wanted more length...but, wanted to keep the volume lower...southwesterly is riding a customized 9'3"...but, also has a production 9'5" x 33"...

Regardless, we should be able to knock the board weight and volume down significantly from your Hobie...while better matching the board to your weight and venues...

Hopefully a couple of other Zoners who have Hammers will chime in...especially, Bulky who rides the 8'11" as well as 14'ers...he's much bigger than you...and, SlatchJim whose family own a quiver of Hammers...these guys have a bunch of experience with the Hammers...

We also just received this testimonial from Daytona Beach, FL a couple of days ago...

5/12/16
Subject: 8’11” Hammer SUP

Hi, I saw one of the 8’11” Hammers for sale at my local board shop (Sandy Point Progressive Sports).
I have read the posts online about its performance, so I bought it. No Demo!
It seems to have been made very well.
Took it out this am in waist high glassy conditions.
I’m impressed! Catches waves like a 10′ board, but turns like a short board.
I had reservations about the huge tail, but somehow it works! I guess it keeps you from bogging down during cutbacks.
I rode it as a tri with cheap plastic fins. I’ll have to change that soon!
I can’t wait to get back out and try to find this SUP’s limits.

Thank you,
Marty D**** (Daytona Beach, FL.)

Marty pretty much gets the Hammer right out of the gate...it's a bit of an anomaly as it has the glide of boards 1' longer and the stability of boards a couple of inches wider...one key is it's inherent waterline...another is bottom contour efficiency...

We customize fins to every board that we sell in our shop...this will really help unlock the hidden potential of any board...and, help to optimize it's performance...

Here's a couple of vid clips with some CAD program footage  that should help you to see the Hammer from various angles...

https://youtu.be/mPoktHI3oHo

https://youtu.be/JVdeqJ29S2w

Small waves on a 9'5" Hammer...

https://youtu.be/Xb-pfYFeihY

Our East Coast friend, Glen, put this vid clip together on an 8'5" Hammer...

https://youtu.be/SJ36xF0ANz4

I'm paddling an 8'11" Hammer in this vid clip...

https://youtu.be/2DDTq1xHsIo

More flat water paddling with the 8'11" Hammer...

https://youtu.be/h2aD8Bpd7Fo

Hammer slide show with some bigger waves...

https://youtu.be/fbUsAXhO3Lc

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:36:39 PM »
@WarDog,

Thanks for the reply and all the great videos. I've watched those videos before and the Jungle Cruise with (if I'm not mistaken) Deb. This one video was the main reason I really started looking at the 8'11" instead of the 9'5". Deb paddles it great with some good straight line tracking. I also paid attention to the 4" and 5" side fins with the 2.25" trailer fin on her Hammer that video. These fins make her 8'11'' really track well in conjunction with her paddling skills.

As for the volume, I think I would be ok with the 8'11" since production wise, it's around 148 liters. After looking at Kristine and Al on their 9'5" Hammers, I think Al really handles his Hammer well since I'm guessing he's around 190 pounds (or more). With my 145 pounds, I'm still thinking the 8'11 will be better for me at my light physical weight than the 9'5" after looking how Kristine handled her 9'5" if both Kristine and Al's Hammers are 160 liters.

I want to stay around my money budget of $1799 since a custom 8'11" would be (according to your custom board order form ) around $3298 which is a little too steep for me at this time.

Again, I do appreciate your reply including all the videos and once my SPTW yak sells, along with my two 220 Werner all carbon kayak paddles, I'll have enough money to make a purchase.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 07:01:53 PM »
Good call to go with a custom Hammer.  You and I are both same height and weight, except that I'm 15 years younger.  I've a 9'2x28 112L custom board that is super to stand on (even in choppy water), paddle great as a cruiser and super fun to surf with up to head high reef/point breaks.  I don't surf this board above chest high heavy beach breaks.

Hammer in the 8'11x29 to  9'2x29 is a great call.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 07:22:53 PM »
Our family owns three, and we surf them regularly. You're lighter than anyone in our group, so customizing makes sense. My wife is about 5-10 and she's foolishly stable on her 8-10x31 custom of 140L.  I can ride it too (at two hundred and fourty.. mumble mumble pounds).  We have a 9-5 x 33 that is my go to.  Rode it today some 3 years after I bought it and it's still kickin. We're in our mid 50's and carrying boards long distances is sometimes necessary, so the lightness of a custom carbon is a great call.  At 145, Wardog can tool your custom down to fit your size perfectly.

P.S. don't let Al and Kristine fool you.  Al could surf a door, and Kristine is close to 6'2 and super athletic.  They make everything look easy.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 07:57:15 PM »
@WarDog,

Thanks for the reply and all the great videos. I've watched those videos before and the Jungle Cruise with (if I'm not mistaken) Deb. This one video was the main reason I really started looking at the 8'11" instead of the 9'5". Deb paddles it great with some good straight line tracking. I also paid attention to the 4" and 5" side fins with the 2.25" trailer fin on her Hammer that video. These fins make her 8'11'' really track well in conjunction with her paddling skills.

As for the volume, I think I would be ok with the 8'11" since production wise, it's around 148 liters. After looking at Kristine and Al on their 9'5" Hammers, I think Al really handles his Hammer well since I'm guessing he's around 190 pounds (or more). With my 145 pounds, I'm still thinking the 8'11 will be better for me at my light physical weight than the 9'5" after looking how Kristine handled her 9'5" if both Kristine and Al's Hammers are 160 liters.

I want to stay around my money budget of $1799 since a custom 8'11" would be (according to your custom board order form ) around $3298 which is a little too steep for me at this time.

Again, I do appreciate your reply including all the videos and once my SPTW yak sells, along with my two 220 Werner all carbon kayak paddles, I'll have enough money to make a purchase.

Aloha Night Wing,
Al has both an 8'11" x 31" Hammer and a 9'5" x 31" Hammer...he's nose riding it in pic below...we're both about same weight...

FYI...the price for a Made in USA custom carbon hybrid, or wood veneer, is $1799...providing your graphics aren't overly sophisticated...includes pad, custom fin set, big wave rated leash with safety quick disconnect...
Not sure how you came up with that over $3K number...must have been looking at the Starboard website...YIKES!...;-)

Good luck selling your yak gear...good move...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 08:27:26 PM »
Aloha Night Wing,
Al has both an 8'11" x 31" Hammer and a 9'5" x 31" Hammer...he's nose riding it in pic below...we're both about same weight...

FYI...the price for a Made in USA custom carbon hybrid, or wood veneer, is $1799...providing your graphics aren't overly sophisticated...includes pad, custom fin set, big wave rated leash with safety quick disconnect...
Not sure how you came up with that over $3K number...must have been looking at the Starboard website...YIKES!...;-)

I got that $3298 price at the bottom of the "custom board order form".

BTW, since the custom carbon hybrid is $1799, I'm already a "happy camper". :)  Graphics wise, your Sup Sports logo is good enough for me.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 06:18:45 AM »
Aloha Night Wing,

I got that $3298 price at the bottom of the "custom board order form".

BTW, since the custom carbon hybrid is $1799, I'm already a "happy camper". :)  Graphics wise, your Sup Sports logo is good enough for me.

Aloha Night Wing,
The only way that I was able to reproduce that price number was to put two custom boards in the cart...BTW, we have built a number of his&hers custom SUPs...;-)

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/06/michigan-sups.html

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/05/california-built-sups-2.html

More custom dream SUPs...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2016/04/custom-sup-dreams.html

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 04:17:36 AM »
@WarDog,

I've got one last question.

On your website, showing the various lengths, widths and liters of the Hammer series, the photos of all your Hammers show a two vent hole. But I've seen some photos of the Hammer with one vent hole.

In southeast Texas where I live, the months of July and August are brutal heat wise. When our summer time normal high pressure dome of air sits over the entire state of Texas during these months, our normal daytime highs range from 98 degrees to 103 degrees and sometimes we hit a three day span of 106 degrees.

Would a one hole vent 8'11 Hammer handle these temperatures or would it be safer to go with a two hole vent based on a SUPer Lite two tone carbon fiber Hammer?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 08:01:39 AM »
Aloha Night Wing,
On a board in the size range and volume that you are considering, one vent plug is usually adequate...however, as you have noticed, we install double vents in  our production boards...and, most of our custom Made in USA SUPs that we know are going to a hot, high UV area...or, are for traveling to one...etc...

We would do this on your custom Hammer SUP...our wise old buddy Ben had it right...

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
― Benjamin Franklin

On the 301 liter custom Hammer fishing board we just finished for Steve and shipped to Pennsylvania, we installed three vents...
Kristy's custom fishing Hammer for Florida had two...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 09:19:57 AM »
Weighing in a little late here, Night Wing, so don't think I have anything to add to what's been said other than confirmation. I don't think you need to look at the 9'5.  At most the 8'11" and I think you could even trim a little of the width off given your weight (like the 29" that was suggested previously).

I'm 6'1" and 205. Got the 8'11" Hammer when I weighed about 225.  It was great then and even better now.  I'm content to be a pretty lazy surfer.  I'll probably never shred, but I want something that I can surf all day.  I have no problem staying up on the 8'11 for 3hrs.  I demoed all kinds of stuff and thought about messing with the width but the 31" stock didn't seem like I needed to mess with it.  Makes for a great little wave-yarder that catches just about everything on small days and big enough to give me stability and speed on big days.

I'm not cruising on it much at all.  Just surfing.  As WD said, I spend a lot of time on 14s for that.  I've got it set up with Quads and a nub so it really feels like stepping onto a little sports car from my race board.  Like I said, not a shredder, but every now and again it allows me to whip out a quick little turn.  I'd imagine if you put in a bigger center fin and perhaps a couple side bites, you'd see alot better tracking for your cruises.

On top of that, nice and light, well made board.  Wardog can obviously throw in a lot of tweaks to suit you at a reasonable price.  As to the $3K option, I believe that's actually a secret option he refers to as "The Donald Treatment".  A bit tacky to my taste, but some really like the gold leaf deck pad.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 09:10:37 PM »
@Bulky,

I think a 29" width on an 8'11" Hammer would be a little too tippy for me . After all, I'm 66 years old and definitely not as limber as I was when I was 25 years old. This is what my "old back" is telling me.

When the time comes, when I sell my 14'9" sot kayak, which is taking up my space for the Hammer, I'll give WarDog my home telephone number and I'll rely on his expertise on the number of liters and width for me.

I've found a 10-15 minute telephone call is the equivalent of "a few hours of typing messages" back and forth to one another.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 09:15:09 PM »
I want to give a public "Thank You" to all the posters who've made comments on this topic and especially to WarDog for his expertise, photos and videos. I appreciate everyone's info......very much!

All the info has helped me greatly..........and I know it has also helped any unregistered lurkers who've been following this topic too.  ;)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »
I've found a 10-15 minute telephone call is the equivalent of "a few hours of typing messages" back and forth to one another.

You should see how much information you could glean from a trip to Santa Barbara and Wardog's shop!  A demo is worth a thousand words, and a trip to SB with someone you love might just be priceless.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal