Author Topic: Picking fishing spots for SUP fishing  (Read 12754 times)

diveChick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Picking fishing spots for SUP fishing
« on: February 02, 2016, 05:41:53 PM »
How do ya'll pick where you're going to go for SUP fishing? I've been fishing fresh and salt water in south Florida off my paddleboard.   Had some pretty good luck (though I have to admit sometimes I get frustrated with the pole and just jump in with the spear in saltwater).  I use the Navionics app to explore water before I go out.  I subscribe to the Navionics+ subscription so I get SonarChart (a layer of extremely detailed contours) so I can find contours from my couch.
SonarChart example:

I mark the spots I'm interested in and then use that to navigate out to the spots later. Works like a charm.  With the Navionics+ subscription I get access to salt water and freshwater which is perfect for me since I do both.
What about ya'll? How do you decide where to go out SUP fishing?

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Picking fishing spots for SUP fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 03:30:05 AM »
For the most part I just go. I am inland and all my sup fishing is lakes or reservoirs. I choose by distance, species, other activities, weather, etc.
I do have Navionics and it is pretty slick to be sure. Used to use Garmin Inland Lakes before the smart phone and that is good as well. Lots of the smaller lakes where I end up are not on either tho as far as contours and such. One of the programs, (navionics??) even shows structure on some waters. Fish finders are amazingly detailed anymore with side scanners, photos, etc it is amazing. The cost has dropped dramatically over the last few years as well tho I have not found a good easy way to hook one up on my board that I care to deal with. I have a cheap little wireless that does temp, depth and shows fish somewhat that seems on par with an old wired Piranha Max when I have compared with a kayak side by side. A real good fish finder with a wireless transducer seems to be lacking still. (Pono, get one going please)
A few years ago the reservoirs got drained really low. I went out with a program on my phone, might have even been Navionics and snapped pictures on the lake bottom of structure. The photo would load up and be marked by GPS so when the reservoir filled I could paddle out over the structure. Pretty slick. I never loaded it up online or created an account or whatever and when the phone crashed it was all gone. Live and learn. It's on a lake I go to often so I got a good idea. Even with all of that I didn't seem to increase my catch rate but if nothing else I felt I was in the right spot.
There is a thread poking around here somewhere where someone rigged up a pretty slick transducer mount for their board and appeared to beat Scotty to the end result as I saw something last year a tad bit later out of Outdoor Retailer that they were coming out with a transducer mount this spring.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:02:51 AM by lucabrasi »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:40:14 AM »
I fish mostly in Maui and the Columbia River gorge. In Maui you look down at the reefs and pick your spots. I don't go for big guys like Alua or for the open water stuff like Mahi or Ono. You need a fast moving lure for those two anyway unless you paddle out to a FAD and spear the buggahs.

In Hood River I paddle across the Columbia to the White Salmon and sight cast (flies) for Steelhead and Salmon. The big advantage is that I can see the schools of fish forming up to move across the gravel bars. You can't see them nearly as well from a boat. I was often fishing where no one else was, and catching fish. I haven't fished since the dam was removed, fishing there used to be a big deal, but currently you can't fish inside the mouth, just outside behind the sandbar where I have no advantage (too deep to see, too many boats).

I also bowfish the carp in Rowena in late summer. Like shooting fish in a barrel (literally). They're a very messy invasive species, and the gamecop there said he'd pin a medal on me if I killed them all. I wonder what kind of medal that would be,

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »
Experience.

It all depends on what you are fishing for.  You have a good area where you don't have to go far offshore to be very productive.  If only have to paddle a couple of miles, then it is no big deal.  But if I want to cover a lot of area, then the boat is the way to go.  Going to structure can always be a good thing, but in the ocean, you also have current rips, color changes, temperature changes. All of these can be productive.

diveChick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 02:31:25 PM »

I also bowfish the carp in Rowena in late summer. Like shooting fish in a barrel (literally). They're a very messy invasive species, and the gamecop there said he'd pin a medal on me if I killed them all. I wonder what kind of medal that would be,
Bowfish carp!? Off your paddleboard?  Wow, that's awesome!  I sooo have to try that.  Always wanted to try that but never thought about it with SUP...not sure why I didn't think of that. Great idea! Thanks!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 09:18:13 PM »

Bowfish carp!? Off your paddleboard?  Wow, that's awesome!  I sooo have to try that.  Always wanted to try that but never thought about it with SUP...not sure why I didn't think of that. Great idea! Thanks!

I was stacking them up like logs on the front and back of my board when the game cop came by and asked me what I was going to do with them. I told him I didn't know, we used to use them for crawdad bait, but my buddy with the traps and the secret spots is gone to the big slough in the sky (or maybe he's just dead). Anyway, the cop said just toss them in the river, the scavengers will take care of them. They're pretty amenable to anyone croaking carp by any means, but run an arrow through a steelhead and your world is gonna change.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

diveChick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 07:28:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies yall!  Interesting... never  gotten questions by a cop when on the paddleboard. That would be another interesting thread....

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 03:45:22 PM »
I been paddle fishing for many years here in sunny South Florida, canoes, kayaks, and recently started SUP fishing. Main advantage is the ability to stand and ease of paddling, I also pole it.

So I go to the same areas.. the only issues are 2 fold.. the fin on the SUP sometimes drags the bottom or tops of the grass, and if in oyster infested flats its not a good thing to take an unexpected dip.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 05:27:58 PM »
The keel fin by Futures in the plastic material would be a very good fin. Very durable, weedless, 6.5 inches deep, and around $25 bucks.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

krash

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 06:56:54 AM »
The keel fin by Futures in the plastic material would be a very good fin. Very durable, weedless, 6.5 inches deep, and around $25 bucks.

Actually the Futures Keel is the the fin I am currently using, although I modified it a bit and it's only 4" deep now and has a few less square inches it works great for what I do. It is weedless so long as you are not backing up.

Still looking to get shallower was dragging bottom on low tide paddling through a mangrove tunnel to get where I wanted to go.

There is a shallow water fin from the BoneFishHippies that is nice, but not $160.00 nice enough for my fixed budget.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
You’re talking super skinny water. First I hear about the Bonefish Hippie fin. I didn’t know SUP fishing has gotten so specialized. The fly-fishing mat is also cool. 
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 11:09:58 AM »
I have this one in my board now and it works really good.  Another good thing about it is that it is quiet when I do scrape the bottom or hit oysters.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,24189.0.html

I have heard  that the Bonefish Hippie fin does not track well , but I definitely plan on getting one of those mats. Or making one myself.

For my next board, I will be going 2 or 3 fins with the probox Larry Allison fin combo.  I have it on my race board and 3 inches of water is not a problem.  So my next fishing board is going to have it. Might be this summer and I will post it when I get it.

krash

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 04:40:35 PM »
You’re talking super skinny water. First I hear about the Bonefish Hippie fin. I didn’t know SUP fishing has gotten so specialized. The fly-fishing mat is also cool.

Yes I do get into some pretty skinny waters, and at low tides especially negative lows the water many be a foot deep but the tops of the weeds curl up and float on the surface.

Cayo is a nice looking board although I've never tried one, they are local to Clearwater/Tampa area and there just is no place near me in Ft. Lauderdale where I can try one. I do get over to Tampa to visit my son and sister, Mom used to live in St. Pete, but never seem to have time to go visit them or try a board.
Are they now, the 2nd gen boards, made like most other SUPs.. CNC cut EPS blank and epoxy laid over ...

krash

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 08:34:38 AM »
Caught a couple photos of skinny water stuff and fins.

The DragonFly 13.6 I borrowed had their optional Shallow Water fin.
Side View

Bottom Edge View notice the wear from shollow encounters

DragonFly loaded and floating Skinny..

Currently I said what do I really need and picked up Riviera Voyager board, rigged it ready and use it for fishng, the DragonFly was returned to its owner.

Voyager loaded, ready, and floating skinny..

Voyager Loaded on the car ready to go.

Trout_Creek_Outdoors

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Board and Kayak Life
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 07:32:34 AM »
We don't get that technical usually. We've gotten to travel around by boat a fair bit around Florida and the Bahamas. Sometimes we look at the charts but other times as we're cruising and see a place and be like "Ooh, that' looks fishy!" and we'll mark it on the chart for a place to check out. Other times we'll get lucky with local knowledge or from other people's recommendations.

Fortunately we have a ton of friends who fish both recreationally and commercially so we're never lacking for spots around Florida. Montana (where we just built a place) is a little different. It's taken a little more trial and error to find some special spots and it really depends on what you're fishing for as well.
Paddle On!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal