Author Topic: Surfski or OC1 to improve pladdling  (Read 9805 times)

powermi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfski or OC1 to improve pladdling
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »
A thing that blows my mind is that once you take a lot to OC1 models, you discover that there are just a few models that made not to many changes over the years and riders keep and use the for the long term.
I wish the SUP world could be a bit similar, cause I don't really understand why after tons of years on paddling and surfing, the brands are still "improving" their products year after year, making last year models look obsolete.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 05:45:56 PM »
A thing that blows my mind is that once you take a lot to OC1 models, you discover that there are just a few models that made not to many changes over the years and riders keep and use the for the long term.
I wish the SUP world could be a bit similar, cause I don't really understand why after tons of years on paddling and surfing, the brands are still "improving" their products year after year, making last year models look obsolete.

I do feel your pain, regarding new, improved models every year, but we have to remember that outriggers have been around for a long time… literally hundreds of years, while SUP, particularly downwind and race models are kind of in their infancy… 10 years maybe?
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »
Interestingly if you look at some of the downwind boards designed in Maui by Mark Raaphorst of SIC (who also has made and makes a lot of OCs), you will find that his designs for the F16 and Bullet 17-4 have not changed much over the years... Just some slight improvements...

Even though the F16 looks like it will be discontinued as a production board (made in the Cobra factory in Thailand) in 2017, you will still be able to order a custom made F16 from Mark in Maui.. That's why I like his boards. They don't change that much, and after 4 years my custom SIC Maui F16v3 is holding up great, and performs fabulously well. Amortizing the cost over what I think will be a 6 year life a least, I think it is excellent value..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 06:43:09 PM »
Hi, Looking forward for improving my paddling and trying something different I am searching information about other paddling sports, quite nice to see that OC1 and surfski would meet my objectives. Now I am wondering some questions:

- are both biomechanical correct for the long term paddling? I mean over the years.
- as I have some storage problems (anything larger than 12" would be a problem) which one is the way to go?
- I am going to use it mostly on flat water 99% of time, are they going to perform similar?

Anyone here with experience mixing SUP and one of these sports? Thanks

Two things from the original post.   If anything over 12 feet is a problem then case closed.  Unless you move or find someone to store you surfski/OC1.  Some fat beginner surf skis are 18 feet, most intermediate or advanced skis are 20 or 21 feet.  You ask about paddling longevity.  Many of the elite paddlers here are in their 60s.  One is over 70.  If you want to really have good balance, mix up your SUP with a surf ski.  And by the way, my legs are as whipped as my upper body after a surf ski workout.   Not a sea kayak - wide one, at least as sub 19 inch wide, like a Huki S1R or an Epic V10 Sport.  These used to be beginner boats until Epic came out with sea kayak type "surf skis" like the V8 or V6.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 07:18:09 PM »
Interestingly Epic Surfskis have two roto molded polyethylene versions, the V5 and V7, which means that they’re super-durable, whilst having the same design, features and possibly performance as similarly-dimensioned surf skis in the Epic range.

See the links below for videos and more information:

V5 -

http://www.epickayaks.com/product/product/epic-v5

V7 -

http://www.epickayaks.com/product/product/epic-v7
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 07:19:42 PM »
The current standard of readesigning a board every year seems artificial. Like its more about marketing than anything else.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfski or OC1 to improve paddling
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »

I do feel your pain, regarding new, improved models every year, but we have to remember that outriggers have been around for a long time… literally hundreds of years, while SUP, particularly downwind and race models are kind of in their infancy… 10 years maybe?

Modern outriggers aren't all that old. Modern OC1 and 2's are hollow, sit on top, high-tech products. Hawaiian paddles didn't have T handles until about 40 years ago (as near as I can tell). OC's and surfskis have a slow evolution for the same reason that the hollow SIC boards do--they require molds that take a long time and cost a lot to build. It's relatively easy to draw a new SUP version and go through a number of CNC prototypes, settling on a new design and cranking out the blanks. The evolution of molded products is necessarily slower.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:00:53 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 08:20:49 PM »
Interestingly Epic Surfskis have two roto molded polyethylene versions, the V5 and V7, which means that they’re super-durable, whilst having the same design, features and possibly performance as similarly-dimensioned surf skis in the Epic range.

See the links below for videos and more information:

V5 -

http://www.epickayaks.com/product/product/epic-v5

Surf skis for the masses!  Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing.  Maybe they should just call them something else, like surf (snow) boards. Wider and shorter.  Saw an older couple (older than me and I am 60) with two of those plastic Epics a few days ago.  They had em on a kayak trailer, a little heavy to load up top for them.  But it got them out on the water.  Will these guys move up to a full on 21 pound, 21 foot, 17 inch wide surf ski?  Probably not, but that's ok.  That being said, it would have been nice to learn on a super stable Epic V8.  Nowadays, you can spend a few months on a fat boat, learn technique while not falling off all the time, then gradually move up to a skinny boat. 

V7 -

http://www.epickayaks.com/product/product/epic-v7

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 09:05:50 PM »
Has anyone seen/paddled a V5 or V7?
Looks like a easy introduction to surf ski's. 
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 10:20:48 PM »
Lifeguard spec skis are a lot of fun. Fairly heavy compared to Molokai skis and not as fast on the longer DW runs but they are tough & super fun to surf. You can pick them up for a fraction of the cost too.

West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 10:38:04 PM »
I've never paddled a spec ski, but I bet they are a blast.

The V-7 is a very comfy boat.  Scoots right along too.  I wish I'd have started in a V-8.   

Oscar is a great shaper.  He recently moved to Portugal's Nelo kayaks.  He's cranking out some great new ski's.  He's the man behind Epic's move to make boats user friendly. 

He gave us a clinic a few years ago.  He was adamant about 'stability before ability.'

He and his rep's were phenomenally fast on V-8's.  Giant of a man in many ways.  Amazing athlete.       
Support your local shaper

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard