Author Topic: Kai Lenny Downwind SUP Foil  (Read 114887 times)

skideeppow

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kai Lenny Downwind SUP Foil
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »
Great skills here.  Also, he designs those kites which are super basic and great for low wind.  So light.

https://youtu.be/LHPt0Qn56uo

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »
Everyone I know that is into downwinders is pretty excited about the possibilities- endless glides! 
Jeff Chang and I went out this weekend to practice foil boarding on his kite foil board towing behind a jet ski and I can tell you that it is not easy AT ALL.  It's like learning a whole new sport.  We looked like kooks and had some pretty bad wipeouts. 
Falling on the foil can be dangerous.  My friend Sam Pae hit his head on the foil and had to get stitches when he tried to SUP on a foil board a few years ago.   So wearing a helmet and protective gear is a must when learning. 
After many tries we were able to "fly" the board for a bit, and come back down without crashing.  It's very sensitive to front and back movements.  Lean back a bit too much and you shoot up high and get catapulted.  The trick seems to be to get comfortable riding the board low in the water first at fairly low speeds, then putting a little pressure on the back foot to fly it just a bit and then lean forward to keep it flying low and level.  I can't wait to try it again, and hopefully soon on a downwinder.  I would definitely recommend learning how to foil behind a boat or ski first before attempting to use it on a SUP.   The foil we were using attaches to two standard fin boxes mounted parallel, not a Tuttle box. 

Yes, it is not easy.  I kite foil and when learning almost broke my ankles falling over the board/foil.  These are key, let you get out and bail without killing yourself. 
https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=425&idcategory=203

On another note, every movement is exagerated, so when you see Kai pumping the board to get speed and get it onto foil, keep in mind, once you get on foil every motion translates into the wings, and they are super touchy depending on the profile of the foil.

Thanks, those hooks look good, I wonder if they could be used for SUP surfing as well.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2016, 10:08:48 PM »
This is from Kai's FaceBook page:

This hydrofoil has become an essential item in my board bag. After riding the smallest swells, I had as much as if I were surfing perfect waves. 🇯🇵🙇🏻🍣
@naishsup #GoFoil

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2016, 11:10:17 PM »
But who says it has to be fixed? I can already think of a few ideas that could solve that fairly easily.
Foils that pivot like the wings of a F14? Against a spring so they are automatic? Flaps and slats?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2016, 11:16:53 PM »
yea one of the ways although i don't think that would maybe be the best. I can see the design of foils changing a lot in design to take this into account.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2016, 01:25:13 PM »
We can expect to see maxi racing trimarans with foils sailing around the world in the next year. In this video, Gitana, at only 70' is flying at 43 knots in 20 knots of wind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqwDMtP2LHs

And then there was 31' Willawaw that cruised 20,000 miles in the Pacific back in the 70's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cYXxZiL4B8
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2016, 10:10:15 PM »
I strapped a kite foil board to my Sup and shot this yesterday . Amazing result.
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2016, 10:28:17 PM »
F&*king Brilliant!
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2016, 10:41:51 PM »
It was already great enough, then the drone swoops in at 3:20 and you feel like you're in the future.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2016, 05:13:48 AM »
F&*king Brilliant!

Piros,

It took exactly one femtosecond after seeing your Gorilla Tape come out for Bill to say to Diane, "I need to check something at the shop.  Back before dinner."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 06:45:48 AM by Admin »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2016, 06:23:37 AM »
Necessity is the mother of invention...;-)
No reason that wouldn't work on a sailboard in light air...it could even be through bolted...
Also, pretty good way to figure out optimal Tuttle box placement...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »
Someone needs to run some numbers on the reduction in drag.

In a nutshell the wing is flying the weight of the person and the board.  Call it 200 lbs.  The only drag on the foil at that point is the drag related to lift generated and some form drag (from the shape of the wing / mast).

Alternately a SUP is providing lift like a flat plate displacing mass.  All the same lift drag would be present but then a whole bunch of skin friction and the fact that a flat plate flying at an angle is NOT as efficient as a wing.  The result is much more drag AND the energy necessary to create a wake. . . .

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2016, 02:47:15 PM »

This hydrofoil has become an essential item in my board bag. After riding the smallest swells, I had as much as if I were surfing perfect waves. 🇯🇵🙇🏻🍣
@naishsup #GoFoil

I anticipate that the foils will not be limited to downwinding. Many will follow Kai's lead and take to surfing them.
Any info on who else is presently surfing with the foils ?
Riding with giant knifes under the board will be a great way to keep spots uncrowded... ; )

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2016, 03:47:28 PM »
F&*king Brilliant!

Piros,

It took exactly one femtosecond after seeing your Gorilla Tape come out for Bill to say to Diane, "I need to check something at the shop.  Back before dinner."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D very funny..... First sign of swell I will try and paddle in on this  :)
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2016, 04:31:01 PM »

@naishsup #GoFoil

I anticipate that the foils will not be limited to downwinding. Many will follow Kai's lead and take to surfing them.
Any info on who else is presently surfing with the foils ?
Riding with giant knifes under the board will be a great way to keep spots uncrowded... ; )

Here is another from a few years ago.

Fast forward to 00:48 re: your last point.  This knife can cut both ways :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhbtpOSkTM8

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal