Author Topic: Kai Lenny Downwind SUP Foil  (Read 115385 times)

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kai Lenny Downwind SUP Foil
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2016, 11:45:48 AM »
I'm waiting for one the can make it through kelp without breaking my nose.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »
The kite tack looks fun.  Seems like that should be doable with a sail as well - provided the foil is placed well, the mast base isn't too far forward and that you leave a little room in front of the mast for a foot. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-9t1ggnEjQ
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:37:01 PM by Admin »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2016, 02:56:32 PM »

If you like that check out Greg from BRM...makes it look so easy.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSldKVGnz-s

He also have made some crazy SUP boards.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »
Yeah, that's rad.  super tight turns on the foil.  Feet on the center-line.  The windsurfers look so spread out in comparison.  Wonder if that is due to the formula side for early uptake.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2016, 04:29:59 PM »
Well I thought it kinda looked a bit limited in what you can do. Wouldn't you get bored after a while?

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »
Just a little somewhat worthless info.
Out of the three single board disciplines of foiling, windsurfing puts the most strain on the foil.  Check out how the mast of the foil bends under the stress of a big sail.

It takes a quiver to do that.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2016, 05:26:24 PM »
Well I thought it kinda looked a bit limited in what you can do. Wouldn't you get bored after a while?

It's kinda like SUP. Doesn't looks as fun as it really is.  ;D

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2016, 05:29:43 PM »
Just a little somewhat worthless info.
Out of the three single board disciplines of foiling, windsurfing puts the most strain on the foil.  Check out how the mast of the foil bends under the stress of a big sail.

I have a photo of me crashing with way more mast bend than that.  I can grab the wings, pry on them and watch the mast flex. I just hope the foil mast lasts as long as our sail mast.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2016, 05:41:57 PM »
Yeah, that's rad.  super tight turns on the foil.  Feet on the center-line.  The windsurfers look so spread out in comparison.  Wonder if that is due to the formula side for early uptake.

I think there is a strap cripple attitude in windsurfing that may hold back some development. Kiters on the other hand, went from a straps only attitude 10-15 years ago, to straps aren't cool today. Only beginners use straps in that world.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2016, 01:26:08 AM »

yeah. I'd always say the foils went upwind better than the raceboards, but when I used to foil they hadn't solved keeping the board under control at high speed. They have now.

Once I started doing rotations and airs I kind of felt it got stale (I used footstraps). Maybe I will try it again. I think the flow they show in the video makes it look like a ton of fun tho. I never had that.

I've always wanted to make a foil SUP for waves tho.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2016, 07:59:43 AM »
The question I am wondering is will this year m2o unlimited class be won on a foil board??

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2016, 08:24:09 AM »
That's a great question UK, I'm sure one will pop up in a race soon, but maybe not the M2O since there are some grueling non-downwind parts that would likely suck the life out a foil.  But for a pure DW'er it's bound to happen.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
But who says it has to be fixed? I can already think of a few ideas that could solve that fairly easily. Would be a great little project that one!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2016, 09:00:28 AM »
Now you're talking! 

skideeppow

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2016, 11:47:37 AM »
Everyone I know that is into downwinders is pretty excited about the possibilities- endless glides! 
Jeff Chang and I went out this weekend to practice foil boarding on his kite foil board towing behind a jet ski and I can tell you that it is not easy AT ALL.  It's like learning a whole new sport.  We looked like kooks and had some pretty bad wipeouts. 
Falling on the foil can be dangerous.  My friend Sam Pae hit his head on the foil and had to get stitches when he tried to SUP on a foil board a few years ago.   So wearing a helmet and protective gear is a must when learning. 
After many tries we were able to "fly" the board for a bit, and come back down without crashing.  It's very sensitive to front and back movements.  Lean back a bit too much and you shoot up high and get catapulted.  The trick seems to be to get comfortable riding the board low in the water first at fairly low speeds, then putting a little pressure on the back foot to fly it just a bit and then lean forward to keep it flying low and level.  I can't wait to try it again, and hopefully soon on a downwinder.  I would definitely recommend learning how to foil behind a boat or ski first before attempting to use it on a SUP.   The foil we were using attaches to two standard fin boxes mounted parallel, not a Tuttle box. 

Yes, it is not easy.  I kite foil and when learning almost broke my ankles falling over the board/foil.  These are key, let you get out and bail without killing yourself. 
https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=425&idcategory=203

On another note, every movement is exagerated, so when you see Kai pumping the board to get speed and get it onto foil, keep in mind, once you get on foil every motion translates into the wings, and they are super touchy depending on the profile of the foil.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal