Author Topic: Kai Lenny Downwind SUP Foil  (Read 114893 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Kai Lenny Downwind SUP Foil
« on: April 30, 2016, 06:02:21 AM »
Well, we wondered who was going to be first to move past chatter and strap a foil on a downwind board.  Looks like it was Kai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfFRvd7H6I

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:36:20 PM by Admin »

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downwind Foil
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »
A) Looks fast.
B) Looks a little weird.
C) Bummer no leash.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 11:38:15 AM »
Someone please help me out here because I am suffering from a severe lack of imagination. What the hell is the point of that thing?
Bunch of old shit

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 11:56:57 AM »
Someone please help me out here because I am suffering from a severe lack of imagination. What the hell is the point of that thing?

The dream would be near zero drag/resistance/chop contact to stall your glides on a downwinder.  Pass from one cup to another without stalling off.  All that plus the fun of soaring.  I imagine the board could become very narrow and efficient when stabilized by a deep underwater wing. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »
C) Bummer no leash.

Why would he need a leash? That board isn't going to float away. It's a perfect sea anchor.

I love the idea of soaring above the water.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »

The dream would be near zero drag/resistance/chop contact to stall your glides on a downwinder.  Pass from one cup to another without stalling off.  All that plus the fun of soaring.  I imagine the board could become very narrow and efficient when stabilized by a deep underwater wing.
Thanks, Like I said I can't imagine what it feels like to stand on that thing. To me it LOOKS like it is completely unstable. It LOOKS like it is uncontrollable, un-steerable. It LOOKS like waves/swell would roll right over it and you would go nowhere. Interesting.
Bunch of old shit

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Kai Lenny Downwind SUP Foil
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 05:40:23 PM »
Well if that doesn't get you sketching some designs...

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »
no leash  hell he has got a camera crew and probably a boat.   You or me alone or with friends................    leash yes
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 06:18:32 PM »
This is amazing I'm in impressed and wanna know more I can see the future here!
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »
Groundbreaking! I am totally blown away. Game changer for sure.

It's cool that's it's Kai not Laird this time.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 07:01:53 PM »

Thanks, Like I said I can't imagine what it feels like to stand on that thing. To me it LOOKS like it is completely unstable. It LOOKS like it is uncontrollable, un-steerable. It LOOKS like waves/swell would roll right over it and you would go nowhere. Interesting.

I've been "thinking" of doing this for so many years now so I am hopeful that Naish will actually start producing these. I think their Raptor design would be fit the bill for the wave version. I just never wanted to spend the money and cut up my nice boards.

Now the point is a gliding feeling you cannot compare to anything that is hitting the surface of the water. Riding foils has been as close to flying as I can remember.

BTW last time we were discussing this one of the imagined / proposed designs that surfaced was with a foil on the nose and the tail, and I am really glad Naish did not go that route, because I think it would fail, and you would lose all the agility of turning.

Foils are not unstable once you get it. They need a tad more planning for turning, but are super fun for soul sessions.

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »
I'd love to see how much effort, or how big of a bump it took to get flying.  Is this something that normal humans could get flying in someplace like the Gorge?  Or are we still a few iterations away from that?

Rakky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 07:50:20 PM »
If the SUP foil develops more, it will change the 'Downwinder' competitions. 
Similar to kite board racing - now mostly foils 
Starboard widepoint 8'10. 
I'm 5'11 and 185 = high BMI

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 07:55:06 PM »
I've never foiled anything so I feel a disconnect. I'm sure that people who've ridden a foiled kite board or foiled wind surf board get it. I can see him pumping the board in the video to maintain a glide. It actually looks pretty stable and maneuverable. I kept waiting for it to lose speed and drop to the water, but it only did it maybe once in the video.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal