Author Topic: How many members of this forum are women?  (Read 38626 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How many members of this forum are women?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2016, 02:25:29 AM »
Admin, perhaps you can let us know if the male to female ratio of the forum has changed since the "hot chicks" thread started.  I suspect it has not influenced the ratio much.
But the point is that at least *some* of us want it to change. Female contributions should be increasing, either proportionally or in real terms, reflecting the increased SUP-related purchases (including training, lifestyle etc) and eg. racing participation by women. The thread is extremely unlikely to achieve that goal and common sense says that it is very likely to be an obstruction.

You have already heard one female zone member express very clear dislike of that thread on this one. I suggest that we listen to her rather than try to defend the indefensible. I'm not going to blame anyone for posting there (including your bikini-fest videos, Robert). But times change and we should too.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 02:53:30 AM »
I'm impressed by and grateful to you guys who are advocating for more inclusion, and for the changes that might be made to help with that.  That's forward-thinking, as well as welcoming.  Really cool.

It was suggested above that my title should have been "guests" instead of "members", but guests can't post, right?  They wouldn't be able to respond---unless I'm wrong about who can post??

Still curious about how many women are on the forum.  It doesn't sound like that many.  Could it be because most of the posts are about surfing, and most women (my guess) are more into flatwater?  That sub-forum isn't very active.  I don't know.....I'm going to think about this today while I'm doing my 12 hours at the hospital.....

Thanks again, guys----

supthecreek

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2016, 03:42:19 AM »
Hi Spirit, I am glad you jump started this conversation, thank you.
I had some how thought that I had seen "guests" reply to posts in the past.
I seem to remember that it simply said: "guest" in the "Posted By" line. I will look into that.

The reason I suggested "guests" as well, was to try to see how many women monitor this forum, but chose not to participate.

Many of the most passionate and fun SUPsters I know are women. Racers, surfers and casual paddlers. Many own SUP businesses. Yoga, rental, touring, retail... you name it, they are fully engaged.

Women are driving a huge amount of the expansion and purchasing in the SUP world, but seem to have little voice in it. It would be nice to see that fostered and corrected.

There is input from the women at the "Pro" level, but I suspect the average women buying and using the products have vastly different needs than the Pros.

Feedback and conversation from more women on this forum would be a great addition.
This forum has driven some nice R&D for the SUP industry, and much useful info has been shared.
It could only help the SUP industry as a whole to hear from more women, in a grass roots format like these.
Forums are good places to hear what really works and what doesn't.... from beginners to advanced users. Everyone has different needs, so feedback is where that gets heard.

I am a passionate SUPster, and I have an interest in the health of the SUP industry.... I want it to charge ahead, so the more useful feedback, the better it is for the industry. That keeps good products coming our way.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2016, 04:36:46 AM »
I'm new to the forum, I'm a male and I posted and enjoyed some pix of "hot SUPer" but it's true that the Zone would gain of getting rid of it.

I enjoy reading most of this forum and don't care about the gender of members.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 04:48:10 AM »
I'd rather not have this forum turn into a sausage fest..... There are some smart women out there, and this place should be welcoming.
So what are you trying to say?

Well, Talldude, when a man and a woman love each other very much…

Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 06:17:03 AM »
......gee........and I thought I missed seeing what Celeste would have to say elsewhere here......
funny........a thread started by a woman......about women here and here we are, a bunch of old geezers blabbing.....I know it's all good but......a bit amusing.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 06:46:46 AM »
......gee........and I thought I missed seeing what Celeste would have to say elsewhere here......
funny........a thread started by a woman......about women here and here we are, a bunch of old geezers blabbing.....I know it's all good but......a bit amusing.
I know---it's so funny!  I was thinking the same thing!  Well, not the "old geezers" part.  I'm not exactly young myself, anyway.  I think it's great that men have picked up on the thread----I think change will come because of it.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2016, 07:30:47 AM »
Still curious about how many women are on the forum.  It doesn't sound like that many.  Could it be because most of the posts are about surfing, and most women (my guess) are more into flatwater

While most of the posts on here are about surfing, the reality is most men SUPers are also flatwater paddlers. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2016, 10:38:44 AM »
Another vote against the hot chicks thread.  Its not that important if men are offended or like it.  Its obviously sexist and exclusionary towards women.  Would any respectful person talk about 'hot chicks' at a dinner with both men and women present.

The insistence on maintaining the thread demonstrates a self-indulgent nature.

I do agree that the thread is offensive.  Of course I can choose not to read it, and I don't normally.  I was curious enough about it a few days ago to check it out, and my distaste was confirmed.  Caught the "meat curtain" comment, but I don't want to single that out, as so much of the thread is offensive and objectifying. 
How many of the men on this forum could be categorized as "hot dudes"?  My guess is that the men and women of this forum come in many different shapes, ages, and skill levels.  We're here because we love SUP, because we want to learn and share knowledge, and because we want to share our interest with people who can relate.  I wish the "hot chicks" thread would disappear because it is immediately off-putting to females.  If the true goal is inclusion, than yes, maybe it's time to close that thread.
That being said, from what I've read on the forum, this is mostly a cool bunch of guys who are funny, helpful, and knowledgable.  I've also seen posts from Jillride that are just as great----and surely there are other women posting who remain incognito.
Here, here....well said, and hopefully those able to make the appropriate changes do so...sooner than later.

To borrow from the past...."Admin, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Standup Zone, if you seek inclusion of all: Come here to this thread! Mr. Admin, open this forum! Mr. Admin, tear down this thread!"

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:40:53 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »
I have to say that initially I didn’t mind the “hot chicks” thread. I’m not sure of the right words as I don’t want to be offensive, but to see an attractive, fit woman on a stand up board in a beautiful setting is very appealing to the eye. I just don’t see anything wrong with that.

But there are a couple of things come to mind that I really, really didn’t like. The first is a while back there was a picture posted of what to me looked like a very young girl squatting on the hand rails in an elevator. Maybe I’m wrong and maybe she wasn’t as young as I thought, but that particular posting bothered me. The other thing is when people post shots of overweight women and make fun of them. I find that distasteful and offensive and I think it says a lot more about the person posting the picture than it does about the woman in the photo. And yes, I agree that some of the other comments are also rude and distasteful. No place for any of that.

My wife is not a paddler, so she doesn’t come on this forum. I nevertheless mentioned this discussion to her and asked if a thread like the “hot chicks” thread would stop her from coming to, or participating in the forum. She said it would not, and that she would just choose to ignore that particular thread.

Having said all the above, if having this thread is in fact keeping women away from this site then it probably should be taken off. And further, if the women on this forum find it objectionable, then maybe it’s time.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2016, 11:07:48 AM »
My wife is not a paddler, so she doesn’t come on this forum. I nevertheless mentioned this discussion to her and asked if a thread like the “hot chicks” thread would stop her from coming to, or participating in the forum. She said it would not, and that she would just choose to ignore that particular thread.

Having said all the above, if having this thread is in fact keeping women away from this site then it probably should be taken off. And further, if the women on this forum find it objectionable, then maybe it’s time.
Here's the thing....

I surf with several women who would be great participants here, but because of that one thread, and IMO the poor taste (or maybe posting immaturity) it portrays of some of the membership here, I've yet to tell them about this forum.

Sure, maybe "one bad apple/thread shouldn't spoil the bunch", but the last thing I'd want to have happen, is for them to log in here when that particular thread has worked its way back to be at the top of the list, have them open it, and risk the chance of them being offended, or think of me as someone who thinks that that type of objectification of women that it has been lowered to is somehow ok.

So rather than having to start explaining, "Oh and btw, there's this thread in there that you probably shouldn't open, or if you do, don't judge the entire place by it"....I simply say nothing about the SUZ to them.  Sad, but it's just easier, and safer all the way around.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:09:52 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »

Here's the thing....

I surf with several women who would be great participants here, but because of that one thread, and IMO the poor taste (or maybe posting immaturity) it portrays of some of the membership here, I've yet to tell them about this forum.

Sure, maybe "one bad apple/thread shouldn't spoil the bunch", but the last thing I'd want to have happen, is for them to log in here when that particular thread has worked its way back to be at the top of the list, have them open it, and risk the chance of them being offended, or think of me as someone who thinks that that type of objectification of women that it has been lowered to is somehow ok.

So rather than having to start explaining, "Oh and btw, there's this thread in there that you probably shouldn't open, or if you do, don't judge the entire place by it"....I simply say nothing about the SUZ to them.  Sad, but it's just easier, and safer all the way around.

I guess we have no way of knowing whether more women would join the Zone if that thread were gone.  I had no idea my curiosity about other female members would evolve into this, but it has----and I do see it as evolution.  I'm glad the "hot chicks" thread is under discussion, because it does reflect badly on the forum, and therefore on the members of the forum.  It's just....disappointing, I guess.  Yes, it's offensive and all that, but ultimately it's like 'not AGAIN'----can't we have a place to go and share something we enjoy without having to deal with the same old, same old?  Maybe I shouldn't have let my curiosity about the thread get the better of me, but I did, so I checked it out.  I wish I hadn't, because I see posters who've said some great things about SUP making LCD (lowest common denominator) comments about women. 

Growing pains----I wonder here this will lead?

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2016, 07:11:19 PM »
Would any respectful person talk about 'hot chicks' at a dinner with both men and women present.

Well said and I agree. 

Thanks spirit4earth for starting this discussion.  As much as I am curious about which board is best or fastest or which paddle has the most efficient design, I would much rather talk about deeper topics of relating and how we can include everyone and create a place where all feel welcome.  For me that's what I am really after anyway, connection and being present, surfing is a fun way for me be there.

I appreciate that men need a place where they talk among themselves away from women, and at the same time whatever female we are venting about is someone's mother, daughter, sister, niece, grandmother, and/or wife.  I have no ill will or blame or shame for anyone posting in that thread, my hope is that we can stop and realize how the women in our lives would feel if they saw those posts.  I used to (and sometimes still do) talk about women in a hurtful shallow way, and I am eternally grateful for my mentor who taught me to communicate in a way that works better for me. 

For example if I post a picture of a "hot chick" and want to be really honest and vulnerable I could say - man I'm f*#&ed up, I have issues with womens' bodies.  I really struggle to appreciate women and especially my woman the way she is.  Sh*&# I sure hope she doesn't have such high expectations and harsh judgements of the way I look.  What I really want is for her to love me the way I am and appreciate how I look and walk and talk and see me as a sexy beast regardless of what my body looks like.  I sure hope I can see past whatever shallow hangups I have and see the real beauty that is inside my woman and inside of everyone, and be able to love and feel loved with everyone.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
For example if I post a picture of a "hot chick" and want to be really honest and vulnerable I could say - man I'm f*#&ed up, I have issues with womens' bodies.  I really struggle to appreciate women and especially my woman the way she is.  Sh*&# I sure hope she doesn't have such high expectations and harsh judgements of the way I look.  What I really want is for her to love me the way I am and appreciate how I look and walk and talk and see me as a sexy beast regardless of what my body looks like.  I sure hope I can see past whatever shallow hangups I have and see the real beauty that is inside my woman and inside of everyone, and be able to love and feel loved with everyone.

Sorry, I just don’t agree with this at all. Because you appreciate a beautiful woman means you have issues with women’s bodies??? I just don’t buy that. I appreciate a beautiful woman. And a beautiful woman walking down the street will turn my head. My wife has never been threatened by that and nor should she be. And it certainly does not mean that I am disrespectful to either my wife or other women. Because you appreciate beauty does mean you don’t respect those who may not exhibit the same kind of beauty. That’s just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Because of this discussion I’ve thought a fair bit about the “hot chicks” thread and how I feel about it. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m now definitely in the camp of wanting it removed. It is not because there are pictures of beautiful women, tastefully done. No, what I don’t like about the hot chicks thread is the kind of postings it attracts. Some are rude and vulgar and definitely in poor taste. We should be a forum that is inclusive and encouraging and some of the posts in that threat are, as Spirit4earth mentioned earlier, appealing to the lowest common denominator. The "good old boys" type of humour, if it can be called humour. There should be no place for that here.The other reason I’d like it removed is if women on this forum find it offensive, then out of respect for them I think it should come down.

I don’t know Spirt4earth. Have never met her but have carried on a few brief conversations with her over this forum. She strikes me as someone who is pretty level headed and who also seems to have a pretty good sense of humour. If someone like that takes offense, that makes me sit up and take notice.

I know Spirit you didn’t expect the conversation to go this way when you put up this posting, but I do think it is a worth while discussion to have. And thank you for participating in this subject, and also for participating in the forum as a whole and giving us all a woman’s perspective. I for one would not want to lose you, or any other women from this forum.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2016, 09:41:36 AM »
i would have no issue with the loss of the hot chicks thread, and with a general effort that content be considerate that women should feel welcome here.

and i have +1'ed several pics! bad boy!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal