Author Topic: How many members of this forum are women?  (Read 38620 times)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How many members of this forum are women?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 03:15:03 PM »
Lets not forget the Mitten Kitten as well as noworrieshawaii, what an artist!
It takes a quiver to do that.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 03:37:38 PM »
For whatever reason this forum (or, any online forum, for that matter) does not reflect true participation of standup paddling between the sexes...at least from my experience developing and selling thousands of SUPs for the last 11 years...even the link below doesn't tell the real story...as it depicts mostly local walk-ins...not our mail order clients...like "Mitten Kitten"...and, many others...

http://supsports.com/stoked/stoked-life-clients

Thank god...standup paddling is not a hairy legged dude fest, like so many other testosterone infused waters ports...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

MauiNui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 05:43:12 PM »
Another vote against the hot chicks thread.  Its not that important if men are offended or like it.  Its obviously sexist and exclusionary towards women.  Would any respectful person talk about 'hot chicks' at a dinner with both men and women present.

The insistence on maintaining the thread demonstrates a self-indulgent nature.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »
Hea Warren, I've bought two boards off of you, and I've never got a pic by the palm tree, WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Only kidding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but still.  ;)
It takes a quiver to do that.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 06:19:41 PM »
I don't mind the hot chicks pictures, but some of the vulgar comments about the chicks are downright disturbing.  As in the recent "meat curtains" vulgarity.  Definitely not for minors.  Makes you wonder how adults can be so sophomoric, or is that just moronic.

I totally agree.  Appreciation isn't the same as objectification.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »
Late to the party, but there's at least three of us.  :)

Lol--!!    I'm glad to hear I'm not alone!

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 06:21:38 PM »
Yeah the forum title is kinda creepy

Creepy?  That just kind of depends on where your own mind goes, I think.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:36:21 PM by spirit4earth »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »
I've been trying to get the "hot chicks" thread deleted for years.

I'm a man as well, and glad I'm not the only that objects to that thread.  for me it's not the nudity or prudishness, it's that viewing women in that shallow superficial way messes up my relationships. No matter how subtle it conditions men to believe they will be happier if their woman looks like that, and conditions women to believe they will be happier of they look like that.  So to often men end up coveting other "hot" women, and women hate their bodies.  From what I've seen in other cultures us men are not hard wired to find magazine cover girls attractive, it's programming. I can only imagine what the massive amount of photos and videos on the Internet does to young people, I know I was certainly confused in high school.

I hope to see more women and feminine energy on this forum and in the water.

Wise words, and truly appreciated.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 06:35:19 PM »
Another vote against the hot chicks thread.  Its not that important if men are offended or like it.  Its obviously sexist and exclusionary towards women.  Would any respectful person talk about 'hot chicks' at a dinner with both men and women present.

The insistence on maintaining the thread demonstrates a self-indulgent nature.

I do agree that the thread is offensive.  Of course I can choose not to read it, and I don't normally.  I was curious enough about it a few days ago to check it out, and my distaste was confirmed.  Caught the "meat curtain" comment, but I don't want to single that out, as so much of the thread is offensive and objectifying. 
How many of the men on this forum could be categorized as "hot dudes"?  My guess is that the men and women of this forum come in many different shapes, ages, and skill levels.  We're here because we love SUP, because we want to learn and share knowledge, and because we want to share our interest with people who can relate.  I wish the "hot chicks" thread would disappear because it is immediately off-putting to females.  If the true goal is inclusion, than yes, maybe it's time to close that thread.
That being said, from what I've read on the forum, this is mostly a cool bunch of guys who are funny, helpful, and knowledgable.  I've also seen posts from Jillride that are just as great----and surely there are other women posting who remain incognito.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:00:45 PM by spirit4earth »

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 07:20:14 PM »
I've been trying to get the "hot chicks" thread deleted for years.

I'm a man as well, and glad I'm not the only that objects to that thread.  for me it's not the nudity or prudishness, it's that viewing women in that shallow superficial way messes up my relationships. No matter how subtle it conditions men to believe they will be happier if their woman looks like that, and conditions women to believe they will be happier of they look like that.  So to often men end up coveting other "hot" women, and women hate their bodies.  From what I've seen in other cultures us men are not hard wired to find magazine cover girls attractive, it's programming. I can only imagine what the massive amount of photos and videos on the Internet does to young people, I know I was certainly confused in high school.

I hope to see more women and feminine energy on this forum and in the water.

I'm also in favour of the "hot chicks" thread being deleted. I appreciate the female body but that thread definitely isn't doing the zone any favours and needs to be gone. Old school and tasteless in large part.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2016, 07:30:12 PM »
Now, about making this forum a better place for all sexes. I'll point out the obvious, Admin, I think you're missing a lot of views and served ads by not making the place more female friendly.

I appreciate your hands off approach, but the research shows that women are a huge part of the sport and for one reason or another, you are missing those dollars.

Funny how few pics of women paddling in wetsuits we see here. You ladies must be much tougher than us guys, we seem to need wetsuits way more than y'all. It's unbelievable what you all have to put up with. Know that for my part, you are welcome in the lineup and this forum.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2016, 08:03:28 PM »
I love the female form as much as the next guy, but I'm pretty sure the "Hot Chicks" thread is turning off women from joining. I'd rather not have this forum turn into a sausage fest.

I'm not being PC. If guys want to post pictures like that, maybe Instagram is a better place? That's fine with me. I just want all points of view. There are some smart women out there, and this place should be welcoming.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2016, 09:57:52 PM »
Admin, perhaps you can let us know if the male to female ratio of the forum has changed since the "hot chicks" thread started.  I suspect it has not influenced the ratio much.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 10:11:57 PM »
I'd rather not have this forum turn into a sausage fest..... There are some smart women out there, and this place should be welcoming.
So what are you trying to say?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 11:16:09 PM »
I dislike when people use the Hot Chicks thread to post photos for ridicule, especially those showing women heavier or less fit than the typical "hot chick".  The Amy Schumer photo comes to mind.  Nobody should ridicule anyone trying standup.  The last thing I'd want to have happen is for a woman (or man) to see that ridicule here, and become self-conscious or discouraged from pursuing standup, or participating here. 

With the typical Hot Chicks post, there's at least an argument to make that there's some potential benefit of seeing admiration for fit women performing at high levels.  Many photos show women far more muscular than is true for any typical standard of "hot".  Many also at least imply admiration for women being physically skilled and aggressive, which is also a positive change from earlier norms.  Whether those justify the thread--or whether the thread needs any justification anyway-- is another matter.

But with the ridicule posts (and it's clear they're being posted for ridicule) there's no offsetting argument or benefit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal