Author Topic: Have you ever gotten rid of your handle?  (Read 6202 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have you ever gotten rid of your handle?
« on: April 16, 2016, 11:23:47 PM »
Sorry for all of my questions recently, just trying to decide the best way to deal with my leaky new/used board.

I'm thinking about filling this one with a foam block, sanding, filling, sanding again, and glassing over the handle well.  I've gotten sick of dealing with leaky handles.  I am thinking about just putting paddle loops and deck plugs and carrying the board with the paddle as a handle.  If you have done that before, were you happy?  Do you think it's a mistake?

Here it is routed out and awaiting it's fate at my hands.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:26:15 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever gotten rid of your handle?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:45:50 AM »
zoo--whatever you do, methinks you gon need to peel that pad back more--good news is that you seem to have been able to peel a great deal without damaging--but youll need more room to sand well, once youve done what you will do
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 08:06:59 AM »
I have been surfing alot of beach breaks on good size days, and having that handle makes it so much nicer when I am trying to get in, without getting swallowed by the shorebreak.  Put a good ledge handle in there.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 08:11:04 AM »
I do that with my DW boards. The loops and paddle handle is a better way to carry big boards.  but it's not very convenient. I'd put a good handle in there and do it right.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 09:16:52 AM »
Thanks Pono, East and SupDB.  Upon your advice, past and present, I just ordered the Blue Planet handle.  That looks like the best one and water-tight installation appears to be pretty straightforward. 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:18:58 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 09:20:41 AM »
ANOTHER QUESTION:  The handle I pulled out was the FCS handle with a built in vent.  That was the only vent in the board.  I never leave my boards in the car or in the sun, so do you think I will be OK without a vent?  I pretty much only surf dawn patrol and then put my boards back in the garage after.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:22:16 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »
We've been installing into our USA built custom and stock boards the same handles that we use on our production boards...and, everyone digs them a lot more than the FCS variety we were using...in fact, IMO they are the best handles I've ever used in over 11 years of building SUPs...they are 2" deep X 5" long with a scalloped ergo wrap-a-round grip...in stock $15ea...

I would always use an air vent on any EPS blank core SUP...repeated pressure cycling is not desirable for a board's longevity...
We just installed 3 of them on the Thor's Hammer build recently finished...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 12:40:05 PM »
That looks nice from a design standpoint, but it looks like a two-piece, wardog. I've installed my last two-piece anything, but certainly handles. I've had two of the two piece handles SIC was using for a time fail on me.  But I fully agree about vents with EPS. Best to have them, and the only useful ones I've found with my profound ADD are goretex. .
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:45:16 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »
That looks nice from a design standpoint, but it looks like a two-piece, wardog. I've installed my last two-piece anything, but certainly handles. I've had two of the two piece handles SIC was using for a time fail on me.  But I fully agree about vents with EPS. Best to have them, and the only useful ones I've found with my profound ADD are goretex. .

It looks like there were two pieces during the molding process...but, I guarantee you that it is not going to leak and the only way that you are going to un-bond that handle unit is to cut it open with a saw...solid as a rock...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »

It looks like there were two pieces during the molding process...but, I guarantee you that it is not going to leak and the only way that you are going to un-bond that handle unit is to cut it open with a saw...solid as a rock...

How quickly can you get one to me?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 03:37:09 PM »
Aloha Mike,
Ian can box one up today before he leaves the shop...Fedex...if not delivered tomorrow...then, Tuesday...
Just call the shop...or, use this secure and encrypted link to buy it...add $5 for shipping...

http://supsports.com/shop/sup-schwag/gift-certificate/gift-certificate-store-credit/

We can also do PayPal if you want...

This cartridge is rock solid...no deformation no matter how hard you squeeze it...
Way more of a chance for a leaky install than the handle ever leaking...

The air vents on most SUPs are multi-piece...in fact, at least three pieces...the female socket...the male plug...and, the membrane...not counting the bonded cover over the membrane...which would be a 4th piece...haven't seen a one piece air vent in use...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 07:08:31 PM »
Thanks, WarDog
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »

This cartridge is rock solid...no deformation no matter how hard you squeeze it...

The air vents on most SUPs are multi-piece...in fact, at least three pieces...the female socket...the male plug...and, the membrane...not counting the bonded cover over the membrane...which would be a 4th piece...haven't seen a one piece air vent in use...

Good to hear it, and of course I know vents are multi-part, I mean things that plastic thingies that are under stress, like mast tracks, fin boxes, and sup handles. I think anyone that's played with this stuff for anfy length of time has horror stories of two piece mast tracks ruining good boards and such.

mosheva

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 11:28:25 AM »
Aloha Mike,
Ian can box one up today before he leaves the shop...Fedex...if not delivered tomorrow...then, Tuesday...
Just call the shop...or, use this secure and encrypted link to buy it...add $5 for shipping...

http://supsports.com/shop/sup-schwag/gift-certificate/gift-certificate-store-credit/

We can also do PayPal if you want...

Hi, would you be able to ship one to Israel at reasonable price?

I wanted the blue planet handle but shipping price was high for 1 item.

Let me know

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 04:21:33 PM »
Aloha mosheva,
We only ship items internationally that can be insured...
This is a low cost item with low margin...so, it's not doable for us...sorry...but, if you have a relative or friend traveling from the US, we can ship one to them for you...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal