Author Topic: Centerfin box 1/4 in off  (Read 2613 times)

FastEddie

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Centerfin box 1/4 in off
« on: April 19, 2016, 08:08:01 PM »
Had a Centerfin box placed into a board that only had quads sort of as a training wheel for some choppy days on this low volume board.  They put it in perfectly flush and you can nearly tell it was added after. The problem is it's exactly 1/4 in closer to one side than the other when measuring to the side fins.  So will 1/4 in make any difference?   It's such a good job I hate to have it taken out and redone as it may not look as great as it does now. If the 1/4in is a big deal I guess I'll take the chances.  Looking forward to feedback.

Thank you.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Centerfin box 1/4 in off
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:13:04 PM »
We're the original side fins installed correctly?  Possibility that the new center box highlights an original error on the quads? 

Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 07:16:46 AM »
We're the original side fins installed correctly?  Possibility that the new center box highlights an original error on the quads?

My 1st thought.

It has to have some effect but I would think it would be pretty minimal.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:05:28 AM »
It won't matter. Don't worry about it.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:45:00 AM »
Try it as is and see if you notice anything.

I doubt you will.

Let us know.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:45:54 AM »
+1 and think of it as a custom asymmetrical fin cluster.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 11:16:02 AM »
Yeah, it won't matter. Unless maybe you're surfing at the Zane level. As long as it's straight, it's good. I've done that on purpose to avoid cutting the stringer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

FastEddie

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »
Thanks all this is great feedback.  Looks like the sides are good and it's straight so I'm going with her once I drop a few LBS.  Easter candy and work stress put me a little over where I need to be for this ride  :)

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
If it was me, I'd make them redo the box.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 09:24:05 AM »
While it was not an ideal repair IT WILL NOT MATTER.

I have been experimenting with switching fins and putting the flat sides out, Flat sides all to one side, 2 fins on one side, none on the other . . . and have come to realize that:

SYMMETRY IS IRRELEVANT

This is driven by the fact that (99% of) surfers use a goofy or regular stance so you have already introduced a bias to the program.

A center fin that is double foiled (Actually called a Symmetric foil) will work fine. 

PS:  My current favorite set up leaves my board crabbing slightly pointed to the right.  It is rigged for my favorite Goofy Foot oriented spot

PSS:  I would encourage all of you to start learning to switch your feet

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 09:41:50 AM »
Been doing that a little beasho--i am regular--i have evolved that when i turn (clockwise) to paddle into a left (paddling along left side of board) i switch to goofy but, as soon as i catch, in the moment before the drop, i switch back to regular, and take the wave backside, as usual.

works very well for me, as i find it awkward to paddle on the left side of the board, when i am in regular-foot semi-surf stance---get much more power this way, too.

i am overdue to just try the drop goofy, and i bet i would do fine, based on good ability to do fakies skating in pipes pools in the olden days.
i stand on my goof board goofy more often than not these days--more strenuous and balance challenging

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 10:19:42 AM »
SYMMETRY IS IRRELEVANT

Amen. In fact, asymmetry is pretty irrelevant. Back in the days of tinkler tails, Northwest Can Openers, stacked fins and asymmetrical rails in windsurfing I got fully involved in all those toys to try to add some snap to my turns without having to learn more or lose some weight (fat boys need volume). I, and everyone else who used them, slowly came to the conclusion that they didn't do much, and the fad died. With all the other stuff going on a little misalignment of the fin or a little shorter rail on one side is all but undetectable.  More accurately, the best of the best tried them, and dropped them. So we sheep in the middle ditched them too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 12:28:26 PM »
One of the best boards I ever shaped performance wise was sooo off as being symmetrical but it wasn't intentional.

I was 18 and out partying pretty hard. 2 a.m. and said (slured) F it! I'm gonna shape me a new board. Went to my factory, cranked up the Black Sabbath and grabbed the planer. Woke up the next day and went back to the factory to see the outcome of the night before. There it sat, 2 different rails, lopsided rocker, the whole bit. I decided to glass it anyway. That board was UNBELIEVEABLE! I rarely got to ride it as everyone was always taking it out of the racks to ride it. It finally met it's demise on the 56 th Sy Jetty in Newport.

Moral of the story? Symmmetry rarely matters, it sometimes just shows that a shaper can get both sides even. You can even use different size side fins for different wave types.

Going back to OP's question, don't worry about it. Making them fix it will be more time and leave you with a wider margin on 1 side of the box which will look odd...
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

FastEddie

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 06:49:06 PM »
Glad I asked.  Like I was saying they put it in real nice and shaved it down to match the rocker.  I put a snapline down the middle and you guessed it right that the box was right on but the one side was 1/4 in off.

I'm even happier I asked to get all these great stories.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:17:11 PM by FastEddie »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal