Author Topic: A SUP for my wife  (Read 1975 times)

CaptNemo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
A SUP for my wife
« on: April 18, 2016, 07:19:30 AM »
Hi all, I just discovered this board and I'm looking forward to learning from these great posts!
I want to surprise my wife with a SUP. She's 45, 130 lbs, fit. We will be going out mostly on a bay that varies from flat to choppy, always some wind.  Just recreational use. Most of the time with a 5yr old son on the board with her.
I've narrowed it down to a board with a planing hull, 10-11' and light weight, no more than 27-28lbs.  And, I know it shouldn't be that important, but it's a plus if it looks nice.  I'm flexible with the price $1000-2000.

I'm looking for suggestions on what board to purchase. I'm currently leaning toward the Paiwen board, but I can't find much about it online.  I would love to hear any suggestions!!   Thanks in advance.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: A SUP for my wife
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:59:28 AM »
Capt. Nemo
best choice in 10'11 boards is the Sunova Surf 10'11 XXX
LIGHT, Durable stable surf fine too and did I mention VERY  pretty and ofcourse comes well inside your budget (incl shipping)

Email me for ZONER Deal pricing

JimK

Extreme Windsurfing

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:42:34 AM »
Aloha Capt. Nemo,
The #1 choice in our board line for wahine paddlers is the Mahalo Series...10' x 30"...10'3" x 29.5"...10'3" x 31"...10'3" x 33"...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/mahalo-series

Plenty of glide, speed, maneuverability,and stability in a compact size that she can easily handle...

Our 9'5" Hammer comes in two widths...31" & 33"...we have lots of female paddlers using them to paddle with their children and dogs...
My wifey paddles hers up and down the coast all of the time...even though, she could also use our longer 11'1" & 11'11" One Worlds...because, she says that she gets a better workout in a shorter amount of time...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series/

Starting at only $1099 for vacuum bagged sandwich construction...our, gorgeous Australian Pine veneers are only $1299...weights are down in the 22#-24# range with pad...SUPer lightweight carbons (under 20#) are $1799...all come with a customized bamboo core fin set and leash with safety quick disconnect...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2016/03/value-priced-sups.html

We also offer Made in USA customs and stock boards...but, I know for a fact that she would be stoked with any of our production offerings...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/california-custom-series/

Lots of testimonials here:

http://supsports.com/customer-testimonials/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:00:09 AM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:35:48 AM »
Nemo,
Where are you going to be paddling?
Is there a chance she'll want to try riding waves with the board?
Is your 5 year old adventurous enough to try paddling on their own some time in the near future?

If I were in the market for my wife's first board (and not her 4th), the sup Sports production boards at $1099 are a really good deal.  You'd save enough to get the kid a board in the near future and you can make this a family thing... and that's really the best thing ever! Our family still owns the first boards we bought from them, we use them all the time, and the mahalo and one world models work great for flat water and really shine when you get a chance to surf them.

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 07:58:58 PM »
Most of the time with a 5yr old son on the board with her.

When I see pictures of people taking a kid with them, the child is often on the front of the board, so a full deck pad could be very useful.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:46:30 AM »
Most of the time with a 5yr old son on the board with her.

When I see pictures of people taking a kid with them, the child is often on the front of the board, so a full deck pad could be very useful.

It's much better for the stability and efficiency of the board to have the weigh distributed around the normal standing area...whether paddling tandem with a person, or dog...usually, this is accomplished by having the 2nd person stand just in front of the paddler in back...but, can also be accomplished by the child, or dog, sitting or laying on the centerline in the standing area...while being straddled by the paddler who steps slightly aft...

Small dogs that sit still on the nose aren't much of an issue...but, weighting the nose down generally contributes to sluggish performance and instability...
An aftermarket pad or other traction can always be added to any nose area if necessary...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal