Author Topic: Columbia Gorge Paddle Challenge vs Gorge Downwind Champs  (Read 2446 times)

cruzanboard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Columbia Gorge Paddle Challenge vs Gorge Downwind Champs
« on: April 10, 2016, 10:37:46 AM »
How do these two events compare for SUP downwind??
Columbia Gorge Paddle Challenge 8/21-21
Looks to be SUP only event with one DW race, and others stuff.

Gorge Downwind Champs, 7/18-23
Looks dominated by surfski and OC, but is DW-only and has multiple days of shuttle assisted DW runs.

Anyone been to both and advise on best for a first-time Gorge visitor looking for a good SUP DW event?
Thanks.

cruzanboard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Columbia Gorge Paddle Challenge vs Gorge Downwind Champs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:32:11 AM »
Really, no one been to either of these events?
No forum comments/tips???

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:45:38 AM »
I've done the Paddle Challenge in August 3 or 4 times. Format consists of course racing on a challenging buoy-defined course and several downwind races. The elite race is two back-to-back runs on the Viento to Hood River course, which is about 8 miles. In the week preceding the race, a lot of people show up and do a ridiculous amount of downwinding.  There are a limited number of high quality boards available through Big Winds, the shop that puts on the event (along with several other sponsors).

The Gorge in July and August is reliably windy, overall, but you never know what you'll get day-by-day. Last year (2015), the week prior to the race was outstanding, with wind every day in the high 20's to 30's, at least, tons of people paddling, and a shuttle operated by Big Winds, that allowed completion of multiple runs each day. Three runs in a day is not unreasonable if you're a true junkie (like me). Unfortunately, on race day (Sunday), there was ZERO wind and the double downwind course had to be modified to a single, long, hot, upriver slog. It was still very fun and the event is very well run, but it was a bummer that the wind failed on what would have been a very epic race. On the other hand, Saturday's course racing was held in calm conditions which made for some incredible racing. The elite race was truly exciting to watch and you can't always say that about a standup paddle event!

I lived and/or played in the Gorge for about 27 years so I'm a big fan. Last year was kind of a bust when the wind did not cooperate but previous years have all had incredibly good conditions for both the course racing and the downwind runs. Last year was the second year the race was using the double downwinder format and it can be super fun, wind depending. Conditions in both July and August are typically very reliable but the wind will do what it does.

I have not actually done the Paddle Fest (Gorge Downwind Championships) myself and that is why I didn't respond to this post. I had some friends that paddled two-man canoe in one of the races in July last year and they said the whole week was outstanding. In fact, everyone I've talked to has raved about how fun the July event is; I have heard nothing but great things about it. If I could afford it, I would go this year but I don't have access to an OC1 there and airfares are crazy right now from HI. 

The enthusiasm and participation levels for all paddle sports in the Gorge are growing in a big way. Canoe and ski paddlers are discovering what the windsurfers and kiters and then standup paddlers have already figured out, the Columbia Gorge is an absolutely incredible resource for not only paddling, but for doing almost any outdoor sports. JD Davies, from Stevenson, WA, is one of the principal organizers of the Gorge Downwind Championships and he lives paddling. It is the same with the organizers of the Paddle Challenge in August. Everyone involved lives and breathes downwinding, so they know what it's all about.

The Gorge is incredible, there is mountain biking, white water kayaking, windsurfing, kiting, paddling, hiking, mountain climbing, even skiing on Mt Adams and Mt Hood. The food choices are beyond belief, tons of locally sourced restaurants, great local beers, it's an unbelievable place to be in the summer. You really cannot go wrong with either or both events. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 01:51:24 PM »
Sorry, started to answer but got busy. Gregg has it pretty well covered. I've never done JD's race, but hear great things, and I've done the Paddle Challenge and all the races that preceded it over the last ten years. Always fun, always a great crowd.

I consider the gorge in summer to be one of the world's great places--maybe the world's best place. More to do on a random tuesday afternoon than all week long in most places, and always people ready to do it with you. Remarkable place, and stunningly beautiful.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:57:15 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill