Author Topic: What's the best weed fin?  (Read 19131 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
What's the best weed fin?
« on: April 09, 2016, 08:25:33 AM »
I need some ideas on a weed fin for my new Sunova Search 14'.

I had the JL Tracker on my M-14 and that worked well. Are there any other designs out there that I should consider?
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best weed fin?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 08:34:06 AM »
Any fin with a good rake angle should do it, in addition to the usual suspects, take a look at peak at the BlackProject fins.  (I would like to try out a BP Maliko fin.)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:45:42 AM »
I've been designing weed fins for a couple of decades now...my FreeWeed designs will do the trick of shedding weeds while allowing for great tracking...speed...and, maneuverability...

https://youtu.be/sGFLWVGmAqU

Info:
http://supsports.com/sup-fins

Order link:
http://supsports.com/product-category/sup-fins/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:54:27 AM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 05:12:10 PM »
I use the SIC weedless fin and quite like it.

http://www.sicmaui.com/weedless-8-3/
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 06:41:15 PM »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:35:23 PM »
I need some ideas on a weed fin for my new Sunova Search 14'.

I had the JL Tracker on my M-14 and that worked well. Are there any other designs out there that I should consider?
How do you like the Search 14? How does it compare to the M14, and what conditions are you using it in?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 12:17:40 AM »
How do you like the Search 14? How does it compare to the M14, and what conditions are you using it in?

I just bought the Search a few days ago. I'm taking it out for the first real test today. I'll do a review with pics after I have some time on it.

I got it mostly for surfing but also for downwinders and flatwater. It's definitely a better surfboard than the M-14. Probably not as fast on the flatwater but should go pretty good downwind.

I want the weed fin for downwinders. I forgot to specify that the fin will also have to allow the board to turn. The surf fin that comes with it is actually pretty swept back and may be adequate for now. It's going to take some thinking to choose a high performance fin with all the choices out there. They cost so much that I can't afford to experiment.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:27:40 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 05:59:26 AM »
Badger,

I don't have a Search as you own the ONLY one in North America but on my 14Ft I LOVE for DW and surfing (yes SURFINGa 14FT board one of my "Guilty Pleasures")

I LOVE the RFC (Rainbow Fin Co) PREPPER Fast reasonbly turny and sheds EVERYTHING when others stop to clear the weeds (a swimming activity) I just glide through

If I can be of any help getting you one just PM or email me

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 07:26:48 AM »
Thanks everyone. These are all really good suggestions. I will have to do some thinking and research.

Jim, I have a list going of things I need so I'll be contacting you soon.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 01:55:23 PM »
Uhhh... late to the party, but that JL / Curtis fin is better for flatwater and "no Bueno" in the surf.  Take a look at the new FCS II Flow:

Awesome all around fin that tracks well, turns and surfs well with drive and sheds weeds nicely with a bit of ramp and rake.  Can't say it will be good downwinding, but I'm guessing, yes.  The snap-in FCS IIs are awesome, the glass construction is durable and the $70 price point is a deal.  Comes in a  8", 10" & 11" sizes as well.

I'd recommend the Futures California Downwind as well, but the price is up there.

A nice fin designed for California kelp conditions and my first choice if I'm just paddling in the open ocean.

As a Sunova fan, I'm guessing whatever fin you received as stock will not be good at shedding seaweed, even if it has a lot of sweep.  You need either a lot of fin rake like your JL or a bit of ramp on the leading edge along with a slightly laid back rake (Check the two fins above).  That ramp is key to forcing the seaweed down and off your fin.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »
Yes, the SIC Weedless is a great all-round/downwind fin, and very light.

The California downwind is good if you want more area. Expensive, but looks great.

Another one worth considering that hasn't already been mentioned is the Candace Appleby FCS fin. It's particularly useful if you want to surf as well as downwind your 14.

And if you are really on a budget the FCS SUP Touring Fin 9" in composite (that's plastic to you and me) is a surprisingly good all-rounder for a 14. It's pretty similar in shape to the Slater Trout fin which is many times more expensive. I have both of them and under most conditions I'd be pretty hard pushed to tell the difference when the board is actually in the water. Tough, cheap, effective. Lots to like there.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:14:50 PM by Area 10 »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 05:26:47 PM »
Just to clarify, a weed fin is only going to slightly help you in kelp. As far as weeds go, the worst weed I have paddled in is the milfoil weed in Big Bear Lake which grows near the shore.  It's reed like and will wrap around a short foiled or vertical fin. I've seen the boards of people next to me and in front of me come to a complete stop and throw the paddler because the weeds wrapped around their fin. The reeds of the milfoil weed have little barbs that bind to each other. It gets thick and floats right surface. You have no choice but to paddle through a mile or two of it during the PaddleFest race. I've not only had no problems with my 'Eric Terrien' fin. In fact I don't feel the weed at all paddling straight threw it. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:28:41 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 06:41:06 PM »
Fins are the least expensive way to unlock the hidden potential in practically any board...and, weed fins shouldn't just only be good for venues with weeds...the FreeWeeds work unbelievably well, with or without weeds...

I have had long conversations with fin gurus like George Greenough, Curtis Hesselgrave (RIP), & Jim Drake (RIP) regarding weed fin designs over the last several decades...as the Central California Coast is very weed choked...and, I have applied elements that have worked for me during extensive R&D into my designs...for SUP, windsurfing, & surfing...I firmly believe that FINS MATTER...and, in fact every board that we sell has a custom optimized fin set included...

I remember when my wifey was SUP racing and she was the only female to finish a race in Dana Point because she was the only paddler that had the right weed fin...funny thing is that I have personally ridden the same fin in over triple OH surf...so, unlike other fin offerings...I don't/won't design or build any fins that don't/won't also surf...;-)

Anyways, the CAD designed fins that I build are fairly priced at $10/inch...high quality...high performance...extensively tested...aesthetically gorgeous...

The bamboo core, in addition to helping to create progressive twist in the tip area of the fin...also, helps to make a more environmentally friendly product since it displaces hydrocarbons...

Here are some additional specs...

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 08:14:27 PM »
I can't be the only one to notice that the thread subject line gets cut off in the "Unread Posts" column of the front page..... ;)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:16:43 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kelpstroke

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 09:31:53 PM »

I paddle the kelp beds of Palos Verdes with the 10" FCS weed racing fin and like it just fine.

My favorite weed fins are probably the blunt, shallow, permanently attached fins on my ULI.  Probably best for rivers but also great in the surf.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:04:33 PM by kelpstroke »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal