Author Topic: The Training/Distance Board Dilemma  (Read 8607 times)

TeachSB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Training/Distance Board Dilemma
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »
Starman - I know!  Why do you think I've been wanting a longer board?  Honestly, that statement was just false humility. I didn't want the Maui crew jumping in here with their "that's not a REAL downwinder" nonsense  :D not that they would do that.  I hope somebody is taking advantage of the conditions this week, cause the surf is pretty weak.

SDsurfer - I think your patio is bigger than my "garage!"

Anyway, so it seems like most people would rather ride a shorter hard board than a longer inflatable?
Focus Smoothie 9' x 32"
PSH Wide All Rounder 11' x 30"

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 08:09:24 AM »
An esoteric C4 Holo Holo 12'0 "cruiser," not the new one this is from like 2009, or something similar. Was my first board, learned a lot on it even though I'm a bit too heavy for it, but for someone your weight it would be a blast. Wobbly but stable, if that makes any sense. Maybe a SIC Recon would be similar.

http://www.standupzone.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=109&cat=all
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

TeachSB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 09:52:34 AM »
Bulky - I will probably take you up on a couple paddles with that glide.  Have you every tried a Downwinder around these parts?  Also, that board does look interesting.  I keep seeing it on CL, but I've been ignoring it for a while... not sure why.

I recently found a sweet deal on an 11' PSH WAA.  I know it isn't the fastest board but it fits and would be GREAT for the wife / other newbies, so I'm considering that as well. 

"Honey, you know that space in the side yard..." ;D ;D
Focus Smoothie 9' x 32"

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 11:45:02 AM »
PM me and I'll be happy to let you paddle it.

I haven't done much downwinding on account of most of my paddling is at dawn and I can't chase wind like Starman can  ;).

Funny--I actually had a clear day last Friday and went out from Goleta beach into a pretty steady wind and thought I was going to get a downwind treat as swell and wind were lining up.  Took me an hour to get to Devro but I was getting excited as I was pointing straight into it.  Made the turn home and started to catch some bumps only to have the winds shift about 10 min into it.  I basically had to paddle the rest of the way home right back into the wind again.

When upwinding becomes a thing, I'll be legend.

Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 12:27:48 PM »
Bulky, it's the curse of the working man. If there is going to be wind around here it's almost always on a Monday.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »

Anyway, so it seems like most people would rather ride a shorter hard board than a longer inflatable?

I dunno, that depends on priorities. You need to decide whether speed or turning is more important to you.

There are 3 good reasons for speed:
While you can train on any old slug a board that goes faster allows you to go further per outing, which certainly makes things more interesting. A faster board means you can hang with a faster crew. A faster board is better for downwinding, especially marginal conditions, because it will plane earlier.

The 11’ Bullet will be more fun to ride waves on, but slower on flats and downwinds than a RedPaddle 14’ elite (or race). Length does matter. One part about downwind i love is turning and certainly a hard board is way better than an iSup for that, but you’d need regular sturdy conditions for the 11’ to come to life.

Up to you: speed or carving

TeachSB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »
I think bulky's anecdote is helpful, it would be great to have good DW conditions but how often will that REALLY happen?  I have ridden mountain bikes for years and in SB lots of people shuttle on downhill specific bikes, but I've only done it a couple times. Why? You need a crew of people and lots of time.  I think I should forget about DW as one of my criteria, because it's just not likely that it will really happen.
Focus Smoothie 9' x 32"

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 10:07:34 AM »
You and I might think alike.  Back when I used to ride, I pretty much only rode down whatever hills I climbed up.  Same with paddling, by and large--I'm out there for a workout so going into the wind gives you that.

As it is, since you're limited to 12' you probably aren't going to get something with DW performance anyway.  Along the lines of what Starman shared, it may not be that DW conditions don't really happen, it's just that some of us don't have the flexibility to go when they come up.

I've settled on good open ocean boards because the conditions I ride in are whatever it is when I have the time in my day (dawn).  Crappy conditions don't stop me--just look at it as a chance to build different skills.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

TeachSB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »
I looked into that yellow 12' on Craigslist. It's a Liquid Shredder, which makes a couple of displacement style soft tops. I think it's 31.5" wide which is a lot and it's probably pretty heavy.
Focus Smoothie 9' x 32"

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 10:58:48 AM »
Aloha Teach,
You started this thread when I was on a camping trip up north and off the grid...welcome to SB...
Have you had a chance to demo our 11'1" or 11'11" One Worlds at my shop?

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/one-world-series

The 11'11" One World Surfari has crossed the SB Channel on a crappy day...and, the 11'1" One World surfs 25' waves and has beaten 12'6" race SUPs in GPS testing...

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

TeachSB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »
Welcome back Wardog.  Yes, I've tried most of your boards and love them.  The One a World is high on the list if I commit to an 11-12' surf shape.

Update:  I picked up a sweeeeet PSH WAA 11'1" from Craigslist.  It will give me an idea of how that fits and help me decide if I should just punch a hole in my garage.

-Teach
Focus Smoothie 9' x 32"

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard