Author Topic: Maliko Race Vid.  (Read 4151 times)

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Maliko Race Vid.
« on: September 19, 2007, 12:31:50 AM »
I spoke to John Gangini a few days ago and he mentioned they got up the photos and vids from the race. Good stuff, and all the results (I got 3rd. in UNL no rudder).

Check out the vidieo. It is the first vidieo I've seen that even begins to communicate what it's like to do a real  downwinder (even tho the wind was pritty light this day).

Some good stuff, Dave & Ekolu Kalama, and a few paddlers who have yet to evolve.

http://www.mauipaddleboard.com/race.php?title=2007video

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Maliko Race Vid.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:25:47 AM »
Really nice video and well done. 

THe maliko run looks like it should be the Grand Slam List for SUp. 

Amazing how long those boards are. 

Also of note, watching Jaime Mitchell from AU on his paddlboard... Clearly has the best technique I have ever seen, is there a reason why more paddleboarders do not move the knee style Vs. prone.  Knee seems so much faster and with more leverage.

g shepherd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 07:23:44 PM »
Knee paddling IS much faster but it's also more difficult. Most paddleboarders try to spend as much time as possible on their knees, but it's a matter of fitness, expecially in rough conditions. Jamie is pretty much in a class by himself.

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:33:53 PM »
Awesome video! Certainly a different sport from the SUP that I do.  :D

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 12:53:12 AM »
The Maliko/Kahului and the Molokai/Oahu really are the grand slam. It's all about "who can ever beat Dave Kalama" and these two he does (and wins) every year. There needs to be a third race for sure, a Maui/Kaunakakai race, strictly iorn. I have been talking to a few people about it. Maybe next year. That would be the perfect grand slam. As it is now both races are one after the other, its all over so fast and it's a year before you get another shot. It would be GREAT to have a full on downwind race series.

BTW.  John mentioned they are putting together a race Maliko to Kanaha race for a few months from now.

lawaia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 03:31:55 PM »
Killer video.  Jamie Mitchell is The Man.

I paddled stock at this year's Hennessey's in Hermosa Beach and was fortunate to see him and the other elite paddlers in the race.  He was absolutely flying when he went by.

My paddleboard is an indispensable part of my quiver and I still paddle regularly but I'm discovering that those runs are really fun on a SUP too.

lawaia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 03:49:41 PM »
Forgot to mention that paddling and surfing SUP has really helped to improve my knee paddling on my paddleboard.

Obviously a stronger core can only help.  And with SUP, you learn to balance with a higher center of gravity and have to apply power rotationally, alternating side to side.  When I go back to my paddleboard and go to my knees and apply power with both arms front to back, it seems so much easier...

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 05:51:37 PM »
Wow...great stuff Mike, thanks. I agree that video seems to gives us much idea of what open ocean SUP racing is all about. It looks like a blast catching waves that far out and riding them for long distances.

BTW-how does your new F16 compare to the 16’ Angulo?

cammar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:07:46 PM »
Here's a video of a downwind run with the F16 from the helmet cam (and short interview with the shaper): http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/2007/07/downwind-on-f16.html

Here's a horrible video of the Maliko race (just scroll down a bit):
http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/2007/07/brians-fish-maliko-race-video.html

That's probably the worse video I ever did. And if you don't believe me, check my last one instead:
http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/2007/09/tandem-sailing.html

I know, I know... not much SUP in it... but hey, it shows what else you can do with an SUP board! ;)

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 09:27:23 PM »
Thanks cammer. That video isn't THAT bad.......LOL

The F16 was great. I got try one, once.....and I WANT one!

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 10:16:20 PM »
Those were cool vids, that head can sort of captures the feel.

The F-16 will be the standard for quite a while I predict. It's like the stock class prone paddlers, the Maui guys (who win almost everything) all use Correl (sp?) paddleboards exclusively and that has not, and will not change for years.

When a good mold is made, and it works, people tend to stick with it. You can't tweak the shape a little (you would have to make a whole new plug) so it will be the one for a while.

I never got to use mine in the races this year or any decent downwinders. I'm going on a 8 or 9 miler tomarrow, but it will be flat. I am just using it here to program it into my brain. I will probably send it to maui soon and just leave it there and hop on a plane whenever I feel a need for speed.

My Angulo felt good, but that was my first 16' so I don't have much to compare it too. VERY interested to see my time on the F-16. My best time on the Angulo was 1:13, which was DK's winning time last year, but that was a fluke, I picked the perfect course (whatever that is) and there was great winds. Gangini also got one of his best times ever on this same run. Most of my times on the Angulo last year were around 1:30 to 1:45, I did 1:35 in the Henessey race and the wind was real weak.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal