Author Topic: Paddle weight?  (Read 7861 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Paddle weight?
« on: April 07, 2016, 06:08:29 AM »
I'm looking at two paddles:  a 3-piece travel adjustable and a 2-piece adjustable.  Weights are 21.5 ounces and 19.25 ounces.  Not being a long-time paddler, and not being able to buy multiple paddles, I'm curious to hear what you folks think about small differences in paddle weight.  The blades and construction will be the same.  Will 2.25 ounces matter that much?  How noticeable would that be?  Thanks for your input.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle weight?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:55:44 AM »
At @1600 strokes per mile (or the quick acceleration for surfing) those onces add up

But as (or more important) to paddle design is Stiffness (shaft) and GOOD blade design. There are plenty of cheap paddles on the market the "LOOK LIKE" a good paddle but it  pays to BUY A GOOD paddle and you will keep it a LONG time and in the long run save you money (Buying junk then buying a good paddle)

Let me know how I can help

JimK

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 07:24:33 AM »
A 3-pc has 2x as many joints as the 2-pc.  I would go w/ a 2-pc, for that reason.
Ask on here for recommendations.  I had a 3-pc 'carbon' in the past.  Total junk!
It ended up in the trash.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 07:34:45 AM »
It's down to to the Werner Trance 85 2-piece vs 3-piece.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 07:50:53 AM »
I'm looking at two paddles:  a 3-piece travel adjustable and a 2-piece adjustable.  Weights are 21.5 ounces and 19.25 ounces.  Not being a long-time paddler, and not being able to buy multiple paddles, I'm curious to hear what you folks think about small differences in paddle weight.  The blades and construction will be the same.  Will 2.25 ounces matter that much?  How noticeable would that be?  Thanks for your input.

If the weight is the only thing that interests you, go with the 2 piece. It's cheaper, lighter and of the same quality. not much to consider.
The difference of 2.25 ounces will probably not be that critical in the short term.

If you're thinking long term, you should consider other options. 2 that comes to mind are in the 17 ounces range, which will be noticeable.

Take a look at the Kai Zen paddle, http://blueplanetsurf.com/collections/paddles/products/blue-planet-2016-kai-zen-cf-paddle-early-bird-pre-orders-until-12-31-15

It's a 3 piece paddle, you can find a lot of information about it here in the forum. There are some guys here in the forum who ordered it when it just came out.

By the sound of it, it might be the only paddle you'll ever need, even in the future when you're an experienced paddler.

If the adjustable part is a deal breaker for you, consider the ZRE Power Surge http://www.zre.com/sup-paddles/ which is highly customizable in every aspect that's important to paddling.

Both have an oval shaft, which I find superior, the price hike will $100 or less than the Werner's you're looking at
and built quality will be on par (at least for the ZRE which I own).

Both should last you for years and you would probably not be tempted to buy a new paddle just because of weight difference,
as the difference between the elite 1 piece paddles and these 2 will be in the range of 2 ounces.

If you do buy a paddle in the 20 ounces range, 1 or 2 years from now, when you're more experienced, you might put your hands
on a 14-15 ounces paddle and the difference will be striking. You know what happens next... ;)
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:31:57 AM »
Are you going to be traveling with your paddle? If you plan on taking your paddle on airplanes etc., then I’d get the three piece. If not, I’d get the two piece. The three piece is nice in that it breaks down so small, but weight does make a difference.

I have the old Werner Nitro in the three piece, in size medium. Then earlier this year I bought the one piece Werner Trance 85. The difference in weight between my new one piece and my old three piece is significant and is noticeable.

And for what it’s worth, the Werner Trance 85 is a very nice paddle. I think you’ll like it no matter which you get.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 08:37:46 AM »
Hey Spirit,

Just curious. Weren't you looking at a new board recently? If I remember correctly you were asking about the same board I just recently purchased - the Bark Competitor. Did you end up with a new board and if so what did you get? Or is my mind playing tricks on me again and I've got this wrong?
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »
Hey Spirit,

Just curious. Weren't you looking at a new board recently? If I remember correctly you were asking about the same board I just recently purchased - the Bark Competitor. Did you end up with a new board and if so what did you get? Or is my mind playing tricks on me again and I've got this wrong?

Yes, I'm still in the market.  I have such a small amount of money that I tend to have a hard time deciding.  Every purchase puts a huge dent in my tiny net worth.  I'm hoping to be able to demo a Wing later in May.
How are you liking the Bark after having it for a while?

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 11:33:17 AM »
[/
If the weight is the only thing that interests you, go with the 2 piece. It's cheaper, lighter and of the same quality. not much to consider.
The difference of 2.25 ounces will probably not be that critical in the short term.

If you're thinking long term, you should consider other options. 2 that comes to mind are in the 17 ounces range, which will be noticeable.

Take a look at the Kai Zen paddle, http://blueplanetsurf.com/collections/paddles/products/blue-planet-2016-kai-zen-cf-paddle-early-bird-pre-orders-until-12-31-15

It's a 3 piece paddle, you can find a lot of information about it here in the forum. There are some guys here in the forum who ordered it when it just came out.

By the sound of it, it might be the only paddle you'll ever need, even in the future when you're an experienced paddler.

If the adjustable part is a deal breaker for you, consider the ZRE Power Surge http://www.zre.com/sup-paddles/ which is highly customizable in every aspect that's important to paddling.

Both have an oval shaft, which I find superior, the price hike will $100 or less than the Werner's you're looking at
and built quality will be on par (at least for the ZRE which I own).

Both should last you for years and you would probably not be tempted to buy a new paddle just because of weight difference,
as the difference between the elite 1 piece paddles and these 2 will be in the range of 2 ounces.

If you do buy a paddle in the 20 ounces range, 1 or 2 years from now, when you're more experienced, you might put your hands
on a 14-15 ounces paddle and the difference will be striking. You know what happens next... ;)

I do need an adjustable paddle because I'm not dialed in on my board yet.  If I ever end up using different boards, I'll need to adjust the paddle.  I can't afford multiples.  :((
I had a 2-piece Werner Nitro that I liked, but at its shortest (70"), it was pretty long for my Honda Fit.  I'm all into saving weight, though.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 11:57:21 AM »
Hey Spirit,

Yes, I'm still in the market.  I have such a small amount of money that I tend to have a hard time deciding.  Every purchase puts a huge dent in my tiny net worth.  I'm hoping to be able to demo a Wing later in May.
How are you liking the Bark after having it for a while?

I haven't been out on the Competitor a lot, but from the times I have had it out, I really like it. Was just out on it again this morning and this is the first time I've had it in any kind of wind. It wasn't crazy wind, not like some of the others on this forum encounter, but it was still enough that I know I would have had difficulty on my inflatable. The Bark handled it just fine. Still can't say I find it a joy to paddle in wind, but at least after this morning I have some confidence that if I do get caught in wind, I will be able to paddle against it. On my inflatable, it was almost impossible for me to make headway against any kind of wind.

I bought the Competitor as a touring board but it is also not a barge to paddle and is very stable. Tracks well and pivot turns on a dime. Really is a joy to paddle.

If I remember correctly you are female? Not sure what your height and weight are, but have you thought of the Bark Contender? I haven't actually seen one, but now that I've got the Competitor, and I know how it paddles, the Contender is another board that interests me. Apparently it is the same basic design, but a little narrower. I'm 5' 8" tall and weigh 150 pounds and think that the Contender might be a good size for me. I'd love to test paddle one.

Good luck on your search, and also with your new paddle!
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 05:02:50 PM »
Quickbeam, let me know if you get a Bark Contender.  It looks like a great board.  Much too expensive for me, though.  I don't have the dough most people on this forum seem to have!  Anyway, I'm still trying to decide between the 2-piece and the 3-piece.  I hate the idea of more weight, even a couple ounces, but the 3-piece does seem more practical in my world.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 07:13:51 AM »
I think I'll go with the 2-piece.  Although it'll be a bit harder to transport in my little car, I'll save a couple of ounces, and possibly get a slight bit of flex in the shaft.
Outdoorplay is having a 20% off sale, so it's a good time to buy.  Thanks for all your input!

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 08:11:44 AM »
I think I'll go with the 2-piece.  Although it'll be a bit harder to transport in my little car

Smaller than my car? ;-)
I use a 1-piece paddle in this car.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »
Quickbeam, let me know if you get a Bark Contender.  It looks like a great board.  Much too expensive for me, though.  I don't have the dough most people on this forum seem to have!  Anyway, I'm still trying to decide between the 2-piece and the 3-piece.  I hate the idea of more weight, even a couple ounces, but the 3-piece does seem more practical in my world.

Will do Spirit, although with the way our Canadian dollar is compared to the American dollar, not sure I’ll be getting one anytime soon. The price for boards has gone up substantially this year because of the dollar. I have spoken to a dealer who may be bringing a Contender in as a demo board and he has told me he’ll let me know if he gets it in. Really hope I get the chance to at least try the board. I just think a 27” wide board might be the sweet spot for me. If I try it and really like it, then I'll have a very difficult decision to make!

And good luck on your paddle. Looks like you decided on the two piece. Think you'll really enjoy it. Werner makes a great paddle.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 11:56:55 AM »
I think I'll go with the 2-piece.  Although it'll be a bit harder to transport in my little car

Smaller than my car? ;-)
I use a 1-piece paddle in this car.

:).  Your car is even smaller than mine!  I have a Honda Fit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal