Author Topic: Big man downwind/touring recs please  (Read 3567 times)

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Big man downwind/touring recs please
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »
So, another big man thread.  I normally SUS, but just went under the knife and doc won't clear me to surf for another few months.  In the meantime want to start open water paddling to keep in shape and rehab.  I'm a total newb to downwind/touring boards and have some questions.  As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm big: 6'5" and hover between 295-315 depending on time of the year.         

I have some questions about flat water boards, like the relationship between length, width and volume.  The only board like this I've ridden was 12'x27" at 275L and I could stand up, but it was way too narrow.  So what is most important?  As in will length make things more stable vs width?  Is volume just as or more important than dimensions?  I know length helps with glide, but will a 14'x29" board be just as stable as a 12'6"x31? And what about tail shapes?  Is a boxier tail more stable?  If I want to do open ocean paddling, as well as flat water paddling in lakes, should I go for a touring board or more race oriented board? One thing I know for sure is I want something that is stable and will float me really really well, AND is not too heavy (can't lift anything too heavy for a while so preferably 30lbs or less). 

Boards I'm looking at are:
JL Searcher 12'6"x33.5 363L
Amundsen TR-T 14'x29.5" 304L
Sunova Faast 14'x29 347L
Sunova Venture 14'x31.5" 338L
Fanatic Falcon 14'x29.75" 317L
JP Sportster 14'x30" 299L 

Thanks.     
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Fanatic Allwave 9'10 x 33
Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Big man downwind/touring recs please
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »
Hi, I hope you heal soon.

I'm  6'6" and around 200 lbs, long time shortboard surfer.  My downwind board of choice is the carbon Blueplanet bumprider 14x30, it's stable, lightweight, affordable,  and surfs really well. 

I haven't ridden the boards on your list. 

I  recommend 14 or longer, the 12'6" at our height feel small and slow.

I  also have a sic v2 14x27, old angulo shaka 14x30, and bamboo 14x28 bumprider.  Sometimes the v2 is more fun on small light wind days, but in big winds it's way to narrow, twitchy and flat for me.  The angulo has soft rails all around and is a challenge to surf and turn.

As far as shape/design goes I find that overall volume isn't as important as width and rail shape.  Soft rails and/or narrow boards are very unstable for me.  I also am not a fan of the big round nose and square tail "race" boards, I find the nose to self steer.  I prefer boards that go where I point them and feet steer from the tail or rail.  My local conditions don't require huge banana rocker, so I stay away from those also. I find the flatwater race boards don't surf well so I sold those.

It was a challenge to demo boards in DW conditions and took me many months to figure out what I like, so I recommend patience and demoing as much as possible.

I hope this helps. :)
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »
At your size, a minimum of 14'. If you want stable and surfy stay away from rounded bottoms. My 14' x 28 is plenty stable even with my crappy balance, it's flat all the way with more rocker than anything you listed but less volume.  I haven't tried any of those boards and I'm certainly no expert but the only way you'll know how a given board works for you is to get on it, especially given your size.

If you get a board that looks kind of like a great big gun you'll also find it fun to surf from WAY outside.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:21:58 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 04:19:34 PM »
Given your size, I wouldn't look at anything but a 14' board.  Not familiar with any of the boards you've listed but if you're already surfing, I think you'd be fine with anything at 29" wide.  Any of the volumes will work well. I prefer a square tail for stability.

My preference is for a race board over a touring board as I'm paddling for fitness--more speed means more miles and better conditioning.  Might be tippier at first, but you'll develop balance pretty quickly.

Follow doc's orders and be glad he's allowing you to paddle--I had to spend 10mos off the water 2yrs ago and went crazy.  Came back and couldn't stop paddling--lost me 50lbs!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 06:00:09 PM »
All the variables you mention come into play. Especially for a guy your size. I had a 12'6" x 31.5" x 290L board and a 14 x 29 x 280L board. Both with squared off tales. Stability is/was pretty close between the two, which shows that stability does increase with a longer board but other parameters such as concaves underneath and concave/scooped out decks can improve stability as well. I have experimented quite a bit with all my boards on just how much weight they can handle with gear strapped down and distributed at different points, and with kids and adults on board too.

On my boards ranging from 12'6" x 30 x 277 litres, 12'6" x 31.5 x 290 litres, and 14 X 29 x 280 litres I have found that the point where stability decreases quite a bit is when weight reaches and exceeds that 270 pound mark for all three boards. I have had over 300 pounds on two of my boards, and regardless of where the weight was distributed, the stability became really sketchy. The rails were still above water somewhat but stability suffers big time, and you are really tested when conditions pick up. Not the same as having a 315 pound man paddling the board, but experimentation has always given me the same result on all my boards so far.  I have found stability to even decrease with only around 250-260 pounds in total weight on my boards regardless of where I have the weight situated. You can use displacement calculations and come to the conclusion that a board can technically float a huge amount of weight, but as you mentioned, you want something to float you "really, really well". In the end, it's not how much weight a board can float, but how well it will float you in all conditions.

Check out this thread on seabreeze with the Naish Glide 14 x 29 which has a listed 280 litres of volume. Notice the big dude on the Glide and how far the rails are sinking in the water. You want more board than this at your weight.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/2014-Naish-Glide-GX-14-or-2014-NSP-Coco-Carbon-14/

You need to go by feel and test as many boards as possible, as it becomes more important for a guy your size, because you need something to accommodate your weight properly. Also, because you are interested in touring, consider that there is a good chance you will be bringing along water, and extra gear, which adds more weight. The recommendations of 14 x 29 or 30 are good, and I think you want around 300L minimum.

I will throw a couple more options your way.

Boardwalks Great Bear 14 x 30 x 342 litres.
Nash Glide 14 X 30 x 314 litres.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:03:17 AM »
Hey

those are a bit different perameters than we chatted about via email Since I have experience both as a big guy and just about all those boards here is my take

First I TOTALLY AGREE THAT YOU SHOULD BE ON A 14FT board

1) So this rules out the JL (and the otherboards we talked about that aren't 14FT

2) Amundsen TR-T 14" X 29.75 nice board a bit heavy but very durable Not as stiff as the construction would have you think at our size. Older shape with cutting bow

3) Sunova Faaast 14Ft X 29" I haven't (no one in US has) ridden this board but from the drawings it has a round section to the bottom (which someone said is an issue DW) I've used round(ish) bottom boards DW with no issue but its been awhile AMAZING Strength to Weight durability and stiffness

4) Sunova Venture 14Ft haven't paddled this one yet but have had LOTS of experience with the 12'6 and it is AMAZING Glides better than any 12fter I can find the round tail may not pick up every wavelette but it is SO EASY to control on the glide Flat water I have big guy customers RAVING about how its so easy and again Sunova's construction is LIGHT, DURABLE and Stiff (although there is some designed flex) This could be the call

5)Fanatic Falcon 14FT X 29.75 This board is MADE to DW catches everything, glides real nice (stays on glide) paddles up/cross wind well Even surfs nice It is a 3K carbon sandwich and for this type of construction it is durable but nothing like the Sunova & Amundsen.

6) Last but not least The JP Sportster very nice board Better than average construction but not SUPER Durable. Great for long distance paddles doesn't turn that well. Outstanding tracking

We can help you with any of these boards but not all are in stock
What are your thoughts
JimK

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 10:51:13 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys.  And thanks for the healing vibes from a couple of you.  Yeah Bulky, I may be getting ahead of myself.  My PT yesterday told me I may be a way out from paddling again, but a guy can dream, can't he?  I'm going so stir crazy already and it's only been since the new year that I've been off my boards. I find out more in a couple of weeks.  Might not be until end of July before I get the OK.     

And JimK, thanks for the input.  I realize it's a little different than what we discussed.  Just wanted to get some other ideas and brainstorm a little. 

I knew I wanted something over 300L.  My largest SUS board is my Joe Blair 11'3x38 that's 250L (which I learned to surf on when I weighted in at 335 and over 340 with a 4/3 suit on) and it floats me really well and I knew I wanted more volume than that.  When I weighed 295 this summer I tried to put my daughter (65lbs) on too and it didn't work.  Want something I can get my daughter on too (maybe).  And I'll definitely will be wearing my camelbak.  I see all these regular sized folks on their big flat water boards (like my 150lb cousin on that 270L board I mentioned before) and I'm jealous of how far out of the water they are.  Looks so much easier to paddle than what I'm on.   

I wish I had more options for demoing boards.  Seems easier to do on Maui or down in Socal.  Here in SF Bay there's a few places that sell boards, but not a lot of boards to demo in the size (width) I'm looking at.  I'd also have to spend like $50-70 per board to demo them, unless I opt to buy it at the store where I demo and then I'm stuck with the brands they have and the 1 month time limit they give for applying the demo fee towards the purchase. 

The Naish Glide 14x30 looks really cool, except it's 37lbs, which if I was healthy I'd be all over it (I think my JB is probably 35lbs) but that's a lot of weight to lift up onto my truck.  The Boardworks Great Bear also looks interesting but no weight listed.

Thanks again for the responses.  Definitely gave me something to think about and chew on.         
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 01:39:33 PM »
I'm 6'2 and 250 at the beginning of the season. Not as big as you but in the ballpark. I have a SIC F14 wide glide that's been a great board, although slow paddling into chop, but always stable and reassuring.
I picked up a Bark Eliminator at the end of last season, so haven't spent a lot of time on it,it's faster but moves around more under your feet.
The Great Bear was on the list but couldn't find any near me, but looks like an awesome board if it's light enough. Wouldn't be bad to start with, fun for the whole family and stable while you heal, and keep it around for adventures later on.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »
Decisions decisions, I hear you it can be challenging to find the right board.

I am also in the SF bay and I spend $200-300 demoing boards at 101 surfsports, bluerush, CCK, Covewater, and Mike's paddle.  It was money well spent.  Also I had free demos at the Davenport Ryders cup, so another option is to keep an eye out for when the team Brands come to town and bring a full quiver of boards...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 08:59:08 AM »
Hey Clay. Thanks for the list of shops nearby.  I knew all of them but Mike's. I think I am going to try to demo boards around here. 

I've narrowed my search down to just a couple of boards.  I guess that's one "good" thing about being big is that only so many boards will work at my size.  And also realized the price for a couple of the boards I was looking at is more than I'm comfortable spending on a DW board.  It's crazy how expensive the DW/touring boards can get!  And once I get healthy again I plan on SUS'ing as much as I can so don't need to drop so much coin on a board.

Well Johnysmoke, I'm curious to hear about that Bark Eliminator.  It's one of the boards that's still on my list.   
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 09:14:15 AM »
Hiya

Im about 6'3, 15-16 stone. My smallest sea board is 14'8 and it goes up to 17'4 with a 15 and 16 in the middle :)

I love BIG :D

ps - all of them are rigged up for multi day touring :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'