Author Topic: Anyone Supped Korea?  (Read 1829 times)

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Anyone Supped Korea?
« on: March 30, 2016, 08:59:26 AM »
Heading to Seoul on Saturday, cant find much information on surfing. Anyone been there done that? Doesn't look promising.
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Supped Korea?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 07:05:27 AM »
Was waiting for someone more informed to reply....but it is getting down to the wire for you.

I have been  on the coast in Korea several times (for work).  I think that it would take a pretty powerful storm to push a swell into Seoul, as it is pretty far up in the Yellow Sea (e.g. protected) and it is a shallow Sea.  The best area for surfing in Korea is Jeju Island, off the southern tip of the peninsula.  When I was there for three weeks in June, 2013, two pretty good size swells came in from tropical depressions offshore. Otherwise it was relatively flat.  There was a surfboard rental place there, but no SUP at that time, and this trip convinced me to buy an inflatable for travel.

The Sea of Japan (or what they prefer you call the "East Sea") can get a swell.....but it is also limited fetch.  At least it is deep, and in one winter visit there I did see a decent swell at the popular Haeundae beach, on the outskirts of Busan.  But I think it will be tough to find anything surfable in Seoul.  Have a great trip, the people and food are great.
One piece "electric" Creek 9'4"
Two piece Sunova Creek 9'4"
CoreVac Cannibal Blade 8'8
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro
Black project three part paddle

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Supped Korea?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:10:24 AM »
Nothing near Seoul.  Jeju is the spot to be, just a short air hop away, with a growing surf culture. There are board rentals but my knowledge is out of date now.

You're just on the backside of the wave season but you might get lucky.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal