Author Topic: Laugh at Trump all you want  (Read 244239 times)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Laugh at Trump all you want
« Reply #1200 on: November 19, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »
I don't think it's true that Hillary made people feel nothing. She made a substantial proportion of the electorate feel strong revulsion. The degree of it is what baffles people outside the US. But I guess it's like when a family member has a small but annoying habit. After years and years of drip-drip-drip incessant annoyance, your reaction to it can be out of all proportion to what seems reasonable to an outsider. My feeling is that Hillary basically just outstayed her welcome, and the house owners shoved her out the front door in a fit of irritation and exasperation. Unfortunately when they opened the door they also welcomed in a con artist who promised to fix the roof but actually aims to steal the family silver.
This time I agree with everything you said,,,,,,,,,, with the exception of your last sentence, but I'll let that slide.

Here in the U.S. many people, myself included, never quite fully understood why your country booted Winston "We shall never surrender" Churchill out of office after seemingly doing a great job during WWII, he was even made a honorary citizen of the U.S.  So I guess there are parallels, even though I'm not here trying to compare Trump to Churchill, to early for that, but for the time being I can see similarities in the trans-pond attitudes.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: November 19, 2016, 12:06:33 PM »
In the same way that an entrepreneur who creates a company might not be the best person to see that company develop once it is up and running, so Winston was the right person for wartime, but maybe not for peacetime. He did have his demons. He regularly wins the accolade of "greatest Brit ever" in polls here in the UK though. So I don't think we are in any doubt about our debt to him. His life was extraordinary - if you put it in a movie it would seem far-fetched. He was one seriously tough old goat, and an incredible orator.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: November 19, 2016, 12:19:22 PM »
And one of the finest writers in the English language that I've ever read. As far as I know I have everything he ever published. When I switched over to Kindle my collection of Churchill was among the few dead tree books I kept, along with most of my history books.

Winston outstayed his welcome. He made his way back into power but realistically, became a bit inept toward the end of his political career. He certainly pissed off a lot of people that should have been his allies. I think he felt his wartime excellence made him a great peacetime leader and justified staying in public life for as long as he wanted--even after his strokes.

Winston Churchill drunk on Champagne was still the smartest person in any room. My favorite champagne is Pol Roget Winston Churchill, and I know it's not just because of the delightful yeasty balance.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1203 on: November 19, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
Hi Bill.  Agree 100% about Churchill.  He was a hero of my grandfather, who served in the US Navy and was a 19 year old Chief Petty Office aboard one of the destroyers in Pearl Harbor during the attack and did multiple tours of duty in the Pacific.

I've often thought about Churchill's famous quote about Americans during this election.  Maybe we have finally disproved him: we were not capable of doing the right thing after exhausting all the alternatives.  Or maybe this is merely a prelude to doing the right thing in the next election.  Progress doesn't move forward in a linear fashion.  I sincerely hope that four years of Trump and Trumpism will represent as the French say, "Reculer pour mieux sauter" or taking a few steps back to get a better jump forward.

PS -- I'm an entrepreneur, currently working on a couple of Tech projects.  Also a happy owner of two KeNalu paddles.

Cheers,

Alex

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1204 on: November 19, 2016, 08:44:36 PM »
/
He was a hero of my grandfather, who served in the US Navy and was a 19 year old Chief Petty Office aboard one of the destroyers in Pearl Harbor during the attack and did multiple tours of duty in the Pacific.
/

Cool.  My Dad made chief in less than two years.  Enlisted Dec. 8th, 1941.  Permanent appointment at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.  One red hash on his sleeve.

That generation grew up fast.  We are so, so  lucky.     
Support your local shaper

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard