Author Topic: Mid-life crisis  (Read 24249 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Mid-life crisis
« on: March 21, 2016, 03:42:35 AM »
I'm pissed off. I'm angry that I found this at 50 instead of 20. I'm angry that I never got to do it with the lean, athletic, super strong body I used to have.  I want to surf giant waves, do 20 mile downwinders in epic conditions, run whitewater....race and be competitive. I want to know what it would be like to do with a complete balance system.

The only giant wave I'll see will be my last, whitewater would leave me too battered and bruised to walk, small downwinders humble me and I just don't bother racing anymore. I'm angry that now that I have it shit is breaking down and keeping me off the water.

Sorry for the rant but for some reason I'm feeling particularly angry this morning (most likely the fact that I woke up at 4 am with a screaming headache and back). This shit getting old really sucks.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mid-life crisis
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 04:22:52 AM »
It ain't nice or easy to accept. We might get wiser mentally but the physical side of it, and that's what counts, is slowly slipping away. I've invested in boards that sooner or later will be beyond my abilities to use.  And that's if I don't have some sudden breakdown or failure while I'm still OK.

But even that, "OK", that changes and needs to be constantly reset. This past fall after swimming for 45' and fighting futilely to finnish the last 30yrds to the beach in a bad current spot, a young buck paddled my 11' footer out to haul me in.  The two of us prone paddled in. I was a limp piece of meat and he was a pumped muscle bomb. Man did I feel like a past the date item.

I wish I had a good word for ya Bob but I come up short. Pop some advils and go to the beach. Even if you don't get wet the proximity is better then nothing.  Mind surfing we'll never lose.

Once a surfer always a surfer.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 05:19:41 AM »
Just be here now.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 05:53:50 AM »
Crap, I feel the same way sometimes. I was a little younger when I discovered SUP, but still in my 40s.

On the other hand, Stoney, you are one of my SUP idols. Seriously. You organized the CCBC! Holy crap, that's like the best event on the east coast! That was one of the most awesome things I ever did! Just last Thursday I showed that drone footage to my seventh graders, and I was damn proud of being there. (We even played the game of “find your teacher in the crowd”.) You're one of the wise men of the Cape, and I'm proud I know you.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:09:58 AM »
Don't we all daydream about paddling using our former 18 year old bodies? Our enthusiasm is much larger than our skill set! I know my technique would be terrible without the age handicap. I know it's tough for me realizing that there are now things I "can't" do and will never be able to do. Happy to be part of the paddling community and that you don't have to be an elite athlete to be one of the family.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 06:21:58 AM »
Finding satisfaction is more about realizing the good in what you have.

Easy for me to say since I've never been a real athlete.  Hell, at 54 I'm still waiting to peak damn-it!  ;D

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »
I find we can't really measure ourselves against the myriad of hi-def SUP action videos we all watch on youtube and vimeo...
The ones which are all set to a booming soundtrack, showing imposssible fit ppl, awesomely youthful babes, doing awesomely fun things, all without an apparent need for income, job, or any real responsibilities.

I think SUP (and windsurfing) is like that...  It's a lifestyle-sell.
You figure if you're not out driving your jeep to a jungle break w/ 2 thonged babes and a parrot along for company, you must be a loser.
I'm just happy if I can get out on the water before low-tide turns things to a mudflat.
Not very exciting, I'm afraid.  :'(   Sorry thonged babes!
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 07:12:16 AM »
Don't we all daydream about paddling using our former 18 year old bodies?

No :D
I'm 51 and fitter than ever.
Maybe it would be interesting to see what 51 years of life experience would be feasible with a 25 old body ;-)
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 07:17:34 AM »
I can say that I've gained less than 10 pounds since I was 18, but at 47 it's my back, shoulders and knees that limit me. You are truly blessed if your joints are pain free!
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 07:20:58 AM »
Better than the alternative.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 07:23:01 AM »
I found SUP in my 50s, and I'm determined to make the most of it while I can.. because I know it won't last forever..

And when it's over, I'll find a way to stay connected. Perhaps to coach it, or organise events or something to stay in the game and stay involved. I can see myself on a boat in a downwinder shouting encouragement to those far younger than me on how to make it work out there.... Anything to be out on the water connected to the action.

We have a number of ex-international rugby players in their late 50s organising rugby coaching for our kids who wouldn't last a minute on the field, but to see their faces when they see the kids performing? Well, is worth a 1,000 words. Maybe more. Much more.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 07:25:16 AM »
Young guys are expected to remember names, can't fart aloud in the checkout line, and have embarrassingly high-riding balls.  You want that, you can have it.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 07:49:43 AM »
Hang on in there, Stoney. Not every day can be a good day. But at least some of them are, eh? I say this as I'm limping around the house with a crazily aching foot. Why? I have no bloody idea. I probably had the temerity to use it to stand on for about 5% more than I usually do. Last week it was shooting pains in my left hand fingers. No idea why. Probably carried my board with my left hand 2 metres further than normal. There just seems to be so little spare capacity in the system.

What pisses me off these days is when people 20 years younger than me start saying eg. that "age is no barrier" to winning races, and "anything is possible if you just want it enough" and these kinds of X-Factor type statements. What a load of horsesh**t. Come back in 10 or 20 years and tell me ageing is all in the mind.

Fortunately, the amount you can enjoy activities actually is.

Now, where did I put those anti-inflammatories?...

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 08:33:33 AM »
Well Bob, SUP as we know it, didn't exist when you were 20.  We're alive in it's heyday, thats about all you can ask for.

(You could have been born in 1845 and all you'd have to look forward to is dying en masse on some civil war battlefield.  There are worse times to be alive.  :) )

I surfed for 3 hours yesterday 1 year to the day after my heart attack, at the same spot at Dogpatch.  Near perfect conditions, and no ER visit/stent insertion to ruin my day.  I hear what you're saying about the mind being willing but the body not cooperating. Gotta make the best of every day you get.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:37:03 AM by SlatchJim »

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 09:12:15 AM »
See where social media with all the vids of Jaws, and young hot dogs shredding all sorts of wet and dry terrain can send you?
If it wasn't for that, we'd all be happy with our current ages.
It takes a quiver to do that.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal