Author Topic: Considering a SUP Upgrade  (Read 3908 times)

Andy Pon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Considering a SUP Upgrade
« on: March 10, 2016, 12:18:40 PM »
hi Guys,

I am currently on a 2014 Naish Glide GS 14' x 29" and I’m happy with it, but it’s on the heavy side.  I think I might gain some speed with an upgrade.  I paddle a bay which is mostly flat but can produce down breezers and I’m paddling upwind (ouch), down breeze back.  I have also set some higher goals this year haha, a few local races and crossing the bay and back (10 miles or so).
I’m 6’1” and 230 and losing.  My friend lent me his SIC Bullet 14V2 SCC for a couple weeks and that is very nice, super light.  It was ok for me straight up or down wind and chop, but if I got sideways I was going down.  My balance probably isn’t good enough for it yet, felt like I was constantly correcting and wobbly.  It was tough to give it back but I just had to remind myself of all the swimming I did.
So I’m looking at a 2015 Naish Javelin GX 14’ x 28”.   Would this be a step up from the Glide?  Looking for something that will work all around, maybe I already have it with the Glide, it just feels like a tank.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Considering a SUP Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 12:36:48 PM »
The SIC boards are definetly lighter and faster, I dont think switching to a 28" from a 29" is going to make a major difference, I'm sure you'll gain some speed but for the money you'd be better off trying to demo other 14' boards if you can, the Naish boards are heavy, also consider used boards (infinity, rouge, riviera, bote, the list goes on and on).

Don't limit yourself to Naish.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 01:34:34 PM »
I stepped up from the 2014 14x29 GS Glide to the 2015 14x28 GX Jav.. and that's what I'd suggest you do.. It's both lighter and faster.. and just as stable..  :)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 02:51:16 PM »
If you can demo then do it....everywhere I read online there's a review on how good the new Allstar is so I would be trying one of those too.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 03:29:58 PM »
Check out the 2016 Infinity Blackfish. Redesigned for better all-around performance. I have a 12'6x25 and it's ridiculously stable. Handles pretty much everything I can throw at it, even surfs pretty good too.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1110830022279221&id=301593443202887

Andy Pon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 07:59:41 PM »
Thank you guys, there is a lot to choose from.  The blackfish is interesting and I will look into that as well as including others. The cost of the 2015 javelin is looking good right now though.  I will hold for a bit and get out on the glide, thankfully it's warming up.

Andy Pon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:37:48 AM »
I stepped up from the 2014 14x29 GS Glide to the 2015 14x28 GX Jav.. and that's what I'd suggest you do.. It's both lighter and faster.. and just as stable..  :)

Really just as stable?

Andy Pon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 09:44:50 AM »
If you can demo then do it....everywhere I read online there's a review on how good the new Allstar is so I would be trying one of those too.

I don't think I can do 25" wide, sounds a little narrow for me. I will look around for a demo.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 10:03:06 AM »

I don't think I can do 25" wide, sounds a little narrow for me. I will look around for a demo.

The Allstar also comes in at 27" and 28" widths and are being touted as very stable boards with good handling characteristics in all conditions. The Hybrid construction is around 5 pounds lighter than the GS Glide.

Andy Pon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 10:10:36 AM »

The Allstar also comes in at 27" and 28" widths and are being touted as very stable boards with good handling characteristics in all conditions. The Hybrid construction is around 5 pounds lighter than the GS Glide.

Oh ya I see the other widths, spoke too soon. Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal