Author Topic: Deck Grip  (Read 4125 times)

Andy

• Waikiki Status
  • www.Air-head.com
    • View Profile
Deck Grip
« on: September 18, 2007, 08:55:43 AM »
Hi everybody...

I am interested to know what deck grip you all are using and on what boards.

Does anybody have a great deck grip and what makes it good ???? or are you using wax.

Please let me know as much info as you can..... I have seen topics on paddles... Boards and fins but not much on deck grip.....

Thanks

Andy

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Deck Grip
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 12:06:14 PM »
There were a couple of discussions on deck pads versus wax.  This should get you started.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=229.0
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=19.0
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=19.0

Personally, I have a 12' soft top but I was following the topic for my next board.

Andy

• Waikiki Status
  • www.Air-head.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 01:18:08 PM »
Thank you for your reply... lightening bolt looks good, anything else out there that works well ? I have seen the C4 and the Jimmy Lewis stuff.... I understand that DaKine will be bringing out a deck grip.

really interested in how many types there are and what works and how they fit the boards for size.

Thanks

Andy

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 02:22:58 PM »
I'll ramble about deck pads for awhile  ;D

With my first SUP I insisted on a diamond pattern. I wanted diamond pattern because I recall the early years of pads on windsurf boards being slippery as hell. They installed them to reduce heel dents, back when board construction was not up to par. The pad I ended up with was the JL. Seemed great at first. Later my opinion changed. I think the aggressive diamond pattern contributed to my feet falling a sleep during long sessions. The ramped edges seemed cool, but later I came to consider them a nuisance

Now I use the C4 ribbed pad. It is not slippery like those windsurf pads of the early years. The traction is excellent and comfort on the feet is nice too. The drawback for some with the C4 is it is a raw cut pad. You must do the trimming and contouring to match your own board. For me, this is actually a nice feature because I love do it yourself projects. I noticed C4 lowered their pad prices to coincide with Surf Expo. I want a refund  ;D  Oh well, it will save me on my next pad. I'm going to buy the plain C4 pad, then do some sexy cuts around my own stomp pad on my next board.

One more point, I've seen lots of pads start to lift up at the edges after about one year. The C4 pad has 3M backing. Just maybe it will last longer than all the generic adhesive backed pads. Fingers crossed.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 03:48:28 PM »
hey dw -- could you ramble on about stomp pads for a while.  how'd you like it?  would you put on on again?  when do you find it useful?  what kind do you have?  like that.  thanks!!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 04:57:54 PM »
hey dw -- could you ramble on about stomp pads for a while.  how'd you like it?  would you put on on again?  when do you find it useful?  what kind do you have?  like that.  thanks!!

I installed the stomp pad so I can feel a texture change under my feet when I get near the back of the board. Previously I had just built the tail kick into the C4 pad by using scrap pad material cut off during the trimming. I layered it 3 thick under the back edge. I cut the layers into a wedge before slipping under the pad. It looked clean and sexy, but didn't do the job for me. I still, on occasion, had poor judgment about how close I was to the tail. The stomp pad fixes that problem.

It doesn't matter what stomp pad you use. I went through the stack of 50 pads at the surf shop and picked the one with colors that went well with my C4 pad and board color. I did rule out the stomp pads that were one piece. I wanted split pads where I could space the pieces out a little to cover the wider tail of a SUB. I cut the back edge of the C4 pad with the same contour as the front edge of the stomp pad so it would have a professional look.

If you haven't used a stomp pad before, I prefer a nice arch bump and I avoid the shinny finish pads. I went with a more foamy dull finish in keeping with the style of the C4 pad.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 04:59:31 PM by DW »

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 05:17:40 PM »
dw:
thanks!
linter

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 04:35:21 AM »
dw:
thanks!
linter

Here is a better look.

Andy

• Waikiki Status
  • www.Air-head.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 05:55:27 AM »
DW....

awesome and some great tips...... what do you use to cut your deck grip with and do you use and template so you get the shape right ?

Many thanks

Andy

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
DW....

awesome and some great tips...... what do you use to cut your deck grip with and do you use and template so you get the shape right ?

Many thanks

Andy

I cover the pad with extra wide masking tape so I can use a Sharpe pen to mark where I want to cut. I cut with scissors and/or knife, then bevel and smooth the cut edge with sandpaper.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal